Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-29-2018, 10:41 AM

Saddle height too low on Look 595 XXL

Recent new build, love the ride! I'm working on getting a longer Look RSP seat post to solve this issue, but in the meantime I went on a couple of rides at about 95% of my usual seat height due to the seat being at max of the ISP mast which was cut by the previous owner. Have not noticed any pain but it seems to make more work with the quads and less power output. Any other potential issues I should be aware of ? Knee pain or otherwise? Also any other solutions to raise the seat up 1-2"? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Volksbike; 08-29-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:38 PM

5% lower saddle height sounds like a pretty big change. Don't know what your expectations are for riding (duration, speed, etc) but I'd definitely have a fitter take a look at saddle fore/aft as well.

I ride 83.5cm saddle height- If my sadde were set at 79.3, I'd have a difficult time riding the bike anything further than around the parking lot.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 PM

You need a larger bike AND a longer top tube/stem combo.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:29 AM

A couple ideas, but none of them make as much sense as a new frameset, unfortunately..

Speedplay pedals with shoes made for them - reduces stack height and therefore gives a longer effective saddle height without raising the saddle.

180mm cranks - same.

Berthoud or other tall-stack saddle - same.

It also looks like you could use a longer stem and/or longer-reach bars.

Ultimately though, you may just need a different frameset. The Look XXL is just not very big. And the ISP just complicates things...
Old 02-20-2019, 11:08 AM

I hate to say it but that frame is too small in both seat tube and top tube length. Longer cranks and a longer stem will help. How tall are you? I'm guessing 6'5" +
Old 02-20-2019, 04:28 PM

U need a larger bigger frame IMO.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:31 AM

I don't think you need a larger frame. But you could fiddle around with a longer stem and longer crank just for kicks. Problem with the longer cranks is they also give you greater knee angle on the top of the pedal stroke. Is your saddle back all the way?

And quit cross-chaining the gears like that.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:52 PM

IMO you should be more stretched out forward than that when in the drops. If a longer stem and/or bars don’t help, a bigger frame would. It’s bordering on looking funny since you look kind of scrunched up, but a longer stem could solve it.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:50 AM
extremely tall

Don't cross-chain. : )
Old 05-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Update- Ok I finally came to grips with the fact this bike did not fit me!! Thanks for all the tips on fit, its challenging when you are 6’7” and trying to ride on factory carbon bike...I did try the Look RSP extended seat post and a longer, more upright stem, not exactly slammed, but more comfortable:

While this improved the fit and allowed full leg extension, the top tube reach was still a bit too short for me in the end (as people predicted.)

My final solution was to Trade the Look 595 XXL as a complete bike and some cash to a fellow forum user for a Cannondale Synapse 61cm with a bigger head tube and more upright geometry. The fit of the Synapse is much better now with 130mm stem and long seat post:

I wish Look would make bigger bikes, they ride great but the head & top tubes are just too short for us tall guys!

Glad Cannondale does make bigger frames, but not as big as they used to...Below is my CAAD5 66cm Road bike circa 2004, with an uncut 400mm Alpha Q fork. When comparing the seat, pedals and bar measurements on the Synapse - both C’Dale bikes are now very close each other and comfortable for me to ride! The CAAD5 was professionally fit to me after experiencing left leg issues last fall. Yes I do realize that at my height, a custom built frame should be my next move...

As a side note to some of the comments on 180mm cranks, I just changed all the cranks on all my road bikes to be 175mm. I had Campy Record 180mm cranks on the CAAD5 but they never felt quite right with the pedal stroke.

Also when I Road a Century last September with 200mm Zinn Cranks on a KHS Flite 747, they caused hip pain at the top of the stroke and I’m now convinced the 200mm cranks strongly contributed to left leg sciatica which got to be pretty uncomfortable to a point where I could not ride at all last fall and most of the winter.

Anyway, learned a bit more about bike fit the hard way and now I’m just glad to be back on the bike. I appreciate the comments and everyone’s input!

P.S. As you can see the ‘Dales are not crossed chained...

-VB

Last edited by Volksbike; 05-21-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Hmm bit interesting angles

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 PM

Old 06-06-2019, 04:00 AM

Another idea to increase reach is to get handlebars with greater reach. The original photo looks like super compact bars- like 80mm?? With really compact bars you will either be upright or stretched out, whether in the drops or not. Longer reach bars can allow you to go from sit-up-and-beg to more aggressive.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:03 AM

Wow I didn’t realize how hard you tall guys have it trying to get a bike that fits.
I will never complain again about being a short guy.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Wow I didn’t realize how hard you tall guys have it trying to get a bike that fits.
I will never complain again about being a short guy.
He is on the taller side of tall than you are on the shorter side of short.