Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 PM

That Gunnar Hyper XX! Steel FTW!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 AM

The current Lynskey 'sale' has the GR270 with 105 Hydro group under your price point and if you were Okay with Sram they have a Force 1 build at 3150. If you ever need to flip it, probably not the bike for you but I love my Urbano and think it was a steal for what I paid.

If you want carbon, take a long look at the new Stigmata if you can deal with Rival 1. for 3600 bucks (a bit over your price point) it's so nice. We're picking up a Quincy for my wife this weekend, would have had it last Sunday but they didn't have the 52 built up. Lifetime warranty and a Santa Cruz will hold value.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:42 AM

At your budget, I'd be looking at TI frames (even used) and building the bike us yourself unless something really strikes your fancy. The tires will be handing all the ride quality, so looks and features over frame material though.

I'm not sure what ticks your boxes, but there's no need for CF on a bike like this for the most part. My old 2014 Trek AL CX bike with a fancy seatpost rides the same my new CF Checkpoint, even on the same road tires/wheels. You'll save a 1lb(maybe) and get slightly better cable routing, and that's it. The AL, Steel, TI,etc bikes might be better because of the smaller tube shapes. The metals are better than CF if you're riding in sand and rocks, as the battle wounds will look cool rather than expensive.

As for 650c compatibility, everything will take 650bs! The only question is how big are the rocks that you're going to be riding over. The 650b will wheel will be 20mm lower. As long as you're not 75mm+ BB Drop, you should be OK for most cranks/conditions.
If you ride a small bike, they may not clear the advertised tires. I know my Checkpoint is offered in 49cm, which doesn't clear the 48+MM tires my 58cm will (40mm? in smaller sizes).

Last edited by jfranci3; 05-23-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
That Gunnar Hyper XX! Steel FTW!
I've wanted one so bad since i test rode one last year. Will probably build one up this fall when I can ride again.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I cobbled this Pro-Cross Lynskey frame into this Mongrel.
Started with a brushed sale Frame for $1250.00 and went from there. But I do my own wrenching. And my own vinyl art and clear coat. Left over steel fork by Carl Strong.

Both 650b and 700 wheels.
This has a lot to like, affordable Ti frame should feel good and last forever, steel fork should feel nice, bar ends are lovely and cheap, fat 650's would be nice on crappy roads and on regular roads as well. Nice build!

Last edited by dmurphey; 05-24-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM

After Farmer’s Daughter, I’m keeping my eyes open for a gravel bike to replace my old Spec M-4 CX bike with cantilevers and an old DA road drivetrain. I’m inclined to look for something with suspension because my neck, hands and shoulders still are sore from last weekend.

A friend at FD had a bike equipped with a Lauf grit suspension fork, which looked interesting. https://www.cxmagazine.com/review-la...ocross-iceland. Probably out of my price range, and not available second hand, but I’ll be looking for something.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:43 PM

Gravel bike decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I’m inclined to look for something with suspension because my neck, hands and shoulders still are sore from last weekend.

A friend at FD had a bike equipped with a Lauf grit suspension fork, which looked interesting.

I agree 100%
especially for longer rugged gravel outings. My back and shoulders were throttled after Farmers Daughter. A short travel fork would have made a huge difference.

My next gravel bike will not be fully rigid.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 05-26-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
https://thesis.bike

I would highly recommend the Thesis bike. I have seen it in action and it is very nice.
I did a demo ride with them this morning because of the mention here. 1x 42T, 11-46T, 650B, and dropper. Hawk Hill, down and up Julian Trail, and back to their office in Russian Hill.

I should do a longer writeup, but good setup. Rival drive train was great. Brakes not quite the feel of Ultegra, but performed fine. The wide 650B rims made a world of difference in tire squirm. $3600 for the fancy paintjob, dropper, and build to match lengths for cranks, stem, bars.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:32 PM

Look at used Ti or Steel CX bikes. The geometry differences are minimal would be my suggestion