Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 11:23 AM

FWIW, 1by on a road bike in the mountains where you live, Peter, doesn't make much sense. Where I live, I've never dropped into the granny on my triples (vestige of NH and VT), and I really appreciate the 1by on my MTB, so I looked at the gearing I had with the 2by on the CAAD10 I bought this spring, and I just did a 1x11 conversion of a 2x10 bike. I end up with less top end that I don't need (101" top instead of 110") and one more step in the range between 40" and 75", where I spend most of my time riding. What I give up is the 13 to 12 step in favor of a much larger jump at the top when I go 13 to 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
By removing a really well working component(front der), not sure how that would increase 'versatility', particularly on a 'road' bike, which this group is obviously designed for. 1by on a 'road' only bike, makes no sense to me.
Besides, 1by systems, in spite of the frequent notion of it here, is a niche w/i a niche...I'd think disc brake option would be way more important.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
By removing a really well working component(front der), not sure how that would increase 'versatility', particularly on a 'road' bike, which this group is obviously designed for. 1by on a 'road' only bike, makes no sense to me.
Besides, 1by systems, in spite of the frequent notion of it here, is a niche w/i a niche...I'd think disc brake option would be way more important.
1x is happening regardless if you or I agree. Heck, a pro conti team is racing this year on a 1x. frame.

I just think it's a little short sighted with R&D and patents not to anticipate the future. FSA will need to sell a lot of units to dilute those costs.

It certainly doesn't seem to be a niche within a niche in my area, but I don't live in the mountains - many others don't either.

Like I said, I'm not sold on 1x for road at this point, but I guarantee the market will be bigger than you think in the next couple of years.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
The rear derailleur is listed as a 28t capacity. It's a short cage rear derailleur. I have not seen or heard about a mid or long cage version of the derailleur. I'll ask in a bit when they open.
On FSA's website they list max sprocket as 32t and it looks like they'll be offering an 11-32 cassette. I certainly hope that's the case. My trust in websites for unreleased components is fairly low.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Vendor

Since people have asked questions I didn't 100% know the answers to, I sent Derrick from FSA an email about them. Here's his responses:

Questions:

-How does the battery charge?

The battery stays in the seatpost for charging. All you need to do is unplug the cable from the rear derailleur – plug it into the charger – and the battery will be charged in about 3 hours.

-where does it plug in?

The kit is supplied with a USB charging cable and box. To be plugged into the rear derailleur cable.

-What is the max cog for the rear?

Currently we offer a 28t as the largest. 32 is on the way. As we work to build longer cage derailleurs you will see this number grow.

-will there be a disc version?

Absolutely – is it hydraulic - you will see this at NAHBS.

-will there be a mid or long cage rear?

See above – in the future yes. We are starting with a solid platform to build upon.

-possibility of a new crank to go with the kit? people commented on the looks. I think it's an ok looking crank but it there was a new, slimmer one i think it'd look better. they think FSA was trying to make it look like shimano.

Interesting feedback. I am looking today for a new sample for you.

-about how long does the batter last? time or shifts?

4,000 km – or about a month of pro training.

-how long to charge the battery?

3hrs.

-when will it be available?

This year.

-pricing?

$2,670 for full kit. At first only offered as a complete group. This gets you chain, cassette, brakes and crankset along with battery, shifters and derailleurs.

Just so you guys know, I am tagging him on the thread so he can add to it if he wants. Play nice everyone!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Vendor

Quote:
-What is the max cog for the rear?

Currently we offer a 28t as the largest. 32 is on the way. As we work to build longer cage derailleurs you will see this number grow.
28T maximum? Man, what are they supposed to do in the Vuelta? Is that why Astana isn't using the group anymore? 28T is the defacto everyday max cog now. In Northern Spain you won't find pros racing with a 28T and 53/39
Old 01-15-2018, 03:53 PM

anything about the brakes? Does the bolt move to allow for a longer reach and more clearance that allows for fenders and bigger tires or does it just lower the entire assembly to deal with carbon rims that might have lower brake tracks?
Old 01-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
anything about the brakes? Does the bolt move to allow for a longer reach and more clearance that allows for fenders and bigger tires or does it just lower the entire assembly to deal with carbon rims that might have lower brake tracks?
See post #40 on page 3. I posted about it and posted a picture.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
See post #40 on page 3. I posted about it and posted a picture.
I responded on #45, and then you responded on #46 saying you needed to check on what I posted in #45 (and now #81) so unless I missed something the question is still open.

Thanks for all of the help and info.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:04 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I responded on #45, and then you responded on #46 saying you needed to check on what I posted in #45 (and now #81) so unless I missed something the question is still open.

Thanks for all of the help and info.
Sorry. Thought I answered it sufficiently.

The bolt allows for obvious up and down for different wheels or frames/forks. As i said, the front brake on this bike, the pads are all the way to the top of the arms. So to give me adjustment it would be great to flip the main bolt.

In terms of a wider tire, that black open cam is detented and will allow a wider tire. Not sure how wide since the wheel has a 25c on it. And I don't have anything wider than a 28c.

Given the bolt will move up and down and the cam opens, I would bet you could fit fenders in there. Obviously not a big fat one. But a skinny racer style.

Does that work?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
28T maximum? Man, what are they supposed to do in the Vuelta? Is that why Astana isn't using the group anymore? 28T is the defacto everyday max cog now. In Northern Spain you won't find pros racing with a 28T and 53/39
But you will see them with a 50/34 or 52/36...way easy with one bolt diameter for all, 4 arm cranks now.

I'll bet Astana isn't because of $, nothing more..it's all about $....and reliability/availability
Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 AM
Vendor

Quote:
But you will see them with a 50/34 or 52/36...way easy with one bolt diameter for all, 4 arm cranks now.

I'll bet Astana isn't because of $, nothing more..it's all about $....and reliability/availability
Agreed on both. It's always about money.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesbrigade View Post
1x is happening regardless if you or I agree. Heck, a pro conti team is racing this year on a 1x. frame.

I just think it's a little short sighted with R&D and patents not to anticipate the future. FSA will need to sell a lot of units to dilute those costs.

It certainly doesn't seem to be a niche within a niche in my area, but I don't live in the mountains - many others don't either.

Like I said, I'm not sold on 1x for road at this point, but I guarantee the market will be bigger than you think in the next couple of years.
It may be but anecdotal information here does not the market make. 1by on the road is teeny, tiny. Yup, 'it's happening' but so are ExtraCycles and fixies but still teeny.

Yes, you can get same/similar maximums with 1by..with big gaps in between or smaller cogset gaps and either eaiser uphill or down hill but not both. MY point is I don't see how removing a Fder makes any bike 'more versatile'...AND I don't see it as a priority for FSA...or shimano...or Campagnolo...when their front der seems to work really, really well.

It's not really a 'thing' for sram either since ya gotta have 2 shifters regardless because of their shifter 'protocol'...

For sales guy right below...if you are in Florida...flat, just do single speed..get rid of both ders/shifters/CR/cogset...etc.. Use a flip flop hub for a headwind..back to the future!!

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-16-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 AM
Vendor

See I don't think 1x makes it more versatile. I think it makes it lighter and less prone to shifting issues. AND of course chain drops and yes chain suck.

I don't see the point in 1x. And I know a bunch of people who've ridden rides like Leadville one 1x and 2x systems. Most have said they wished they had more gearing. Yes, it's a mtn bike race. But it's a ride that requires shifting and has a terrain change. so unless your ride is 100% flat, I would opt for an extra 250-350 grams and put a frt der on. Also I think most 1x systems look ugly. Personal preference of course.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:47 AM

I can see some pros with big power trying a 1x setup. The wide jumps between cogs don't matter much to them. But for the rest of us riding hard at less than 6w/kg, big jumps between cogs kill your legs when you're on the rivet for long periods of time. When there's 20 cogs in the back, I'll consider it, but until then, doubles just make sense for those who need gearing to climb and ride in fast groups.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:59 AM

Sales guy-
Thank you for taking the time to post this stuff- and responding to the multitude of questions; it is super interesting and clearly we are one of the few outlets that is privy to the details like this.