Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 10:33 AM

TKA peeps -- did you change crank length?

My TKA is scheduled the week of Sep 7. When Erik built my Alliance we talked crank length; I was on 172.5s at a 76.6 seat height and we decided to have him design for 170 cranks. Been riding those with no regrets since I got the frame last year.

A friend here locally, triathlete/nordic racer and bike fitter, who is my age has had both hips replaced, and in doing so he moved to shorter cranks and is a strong advocate for them. I'm thinking I might try some 165s on my trainer bike during rehab and see if I want to go that way on my Alliance afterwards. Curious about those of you here who have had a knee replacement. Any changes in your crank length either prior to your surgery or post surgery? What has worked for you?

See, already looking bast the surgery itself and the first two or three weeks where as my ortho said yesterday, "yeah, you're going to not like me at all and question why the heck you made this decision...."
Old 08-13-2020, 01:01 PM

Had a TKA and THA on the same side. Left my cranks the same. Fiddled with seat height a little but ended up approximately where I started. I think it will depend on how the surgery goes, what the post-op alignment and length are, and what your flexibility is afterward. So, I wouldn’t spend money on new anything for awhile. Effort on the rehab will reward you with normal (or close to it) flexion and extension.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:31 PM

I don't remember if was before or after, but I did change from 172.5 to 170. I recall that it did not seem to make much difference, but it was something that was recommended and I thought I would try it and there have been no adverse consequences.