Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
nah, i wouldnt bother, unless you just want a different set of handbuilt wheels. the wheels you are describing would likely be heavier than your current wheels, and if your frame maxes out with 25's on skinny ksyrium rims, you may not even fit a 25 on the wider internal rim you've got in mind.

ksyrium SL's are pretty nice wheels.
+1

SL's are fantastic for aluminum wheels. Mine are pretty bombproof. and have needed almost no truing, even after years of riding on terrible michigan roads.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandhillsca View Post
I currently have a 2001 Serotta Legend Ti with Ksyrium SL SSC's. The max tire width the bike can accommodate is 25mm. Instead of buying a new bike I want to do a wheel build and am wondering if I will see improvement.

Considering the following:
Rim – DT 411 (Tubeless compatible)
Hub – DT Swiss 240 28 hole Front Rear (upgrade to 54 ratchet)
Spokes – Sapim Race 14-15 gauge double butted black
Nipples – Sapim brass black
Rim Strips – RWW base tape
Lacing pattern – 28 hole 2 Cross spoke pattern Rear - 24 hole 2 cross spoke pattern Front

From peoples experiences - will this build ride differently form the Ksyrium's - and if so, how?

Thanks in advance for your input.
I doubt it..it may 'feel' a little less stiff due to stainless rather than aluminum, spokes. Far better rear hub with the DT but 'feel...doubt you could tell.
Quote:
I am curious if new build will spin up faster then the Ksyrium hubs. I usually do 20/35/50 mile rides with 2k-3.5k in climbing.
Ahh, no..the so-called 'fly wheel' effect is lost in the noise, even tho the DT411s are lighter rims than any Kry-sirium rims. The other ting to mention is a standard build, with just spokes, rim, hubs, rather than the VERY proprietary stuff of the Mavics...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-14-2020 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I don't really get using those nice hubs and then pretty basic aluminum rims with an internal width of 18mm, basic double butted spokes, and brass nips. This is obviously a fine combo and perhaps just right for your needs, but I'd be inclined to choose a rim with 19-21mm internal width, aluminum nips, and something like a Pillar 1422 were it me, especially since you pretty much just have an itch to build some cool wheels (I can relate!).

I will agree with others that you're not going to notice much difference in what you've spec'd over the MAVICs you're riding now.
DT411 come with aluminum Squorx nipples AND since it's a design and build setup...'maybe' thinner spokes in front and NDS rear but it would make very little difference in actual ride 'feel'...
Old 08-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
DT411 come with aluminum Squorx nipples AND since it's a design and build setup...'maybe' thinner spokes in front and NDS rear but it would make very little difference in actual ride 'feel'...
The Squorx are nice, but they only supply you with silver nips no matter the color of the rim as far as I know. So if you're going for a black wheel build they aren't of a lot of use.

I actually like the look of silver spokes and nips on black rims and hubs, but the OP said he was looking for black spokes I thought.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandhillsca View Post
I currently have a 2001 Serotta Legend Ti with Ksyrium SL SSC's. The max tire width the bike can accommodate is 25mm. Instead of buying a new bike I want to do a wheel build and am wondering if I will see improvement.

Considering the following:
Rim – DT 411 (Tubeless compatible)
Hub – DT Swiss 240 28 hole Front Rear (upgrade to 54 ratchet)
Spokes – Sapim Race 14-15 gauge double butted black
Nipples – Sapim brass black
Rim Strips – RWW base tape
Lacing pattern – 28 hole 2 Cross spoke pattern Rear - 24 hole 2 cross spoke pattern Front

From peoples experiences - will this build ride differently form the Ksyrium's - and if so, how?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sounds like a nice set of wheels!

Don't listen to those telling you it's not worth it, they have 49 sets of wheels hanging in the basement.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
The Squorx are nice, but they only supply you with silver nips no matter the color of the rim as far as I know. So if you're going for a black wheel build they aren't of a lot of use.

I actually like the look of silver spokes and nips on black rims and hubs, but the OP said he was looking for black spokes I thought.
Black Squorx are easy to find..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-Swiss-Sq...Cclp%3A2334524
Old 08-14-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Haha. Yeah, but they're not free with the rim. Wasn't that your point? If one is gonna buy nips then they have plenty of choice and much cheaper than $.50 a nipple.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:29 AM

DT Swiss has switched out silver for black nipples for me before, but never a guarantee since they keep silver in stock mostly. Just ask nicely!