Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 07:43 PM

I like the Specialized Creo as its well thought out and is class 3, so you can go to 28mph before the motor shuts off.

It doesn't matter whether you get a hub or crank motor, it's the class that defines its top speed. Most ebikes have 250W motors and that is plenty. Some have 250W batteries, some 500W batteries, some in between. The battery defines how far you can go. There should not be any problem riding a standard mountain metric (roughly 6k' of climbing) on 500W of battery power. Again, a 250W motor is plenty adequate - especially given that you will be imputing typically a modest 150-200W yourself. With 400+ watts going into your drive train, you will be climbing like Froome. A 500W crank motor will only add unnecessary weight, and power.

Some bikes have provisions for adding a second battery water bottle. These usually include a 250'ish Watt battery standard, and can be expanded to about 400W with the added water bottle battery. I believe the Creo is like this.

I prefer double chainrings but on an e'bike, a single is fine. Most will still provide a 1:1 granny gear so there should not be any problem climbing any hill on any bike route. I can't comment on loaded touring, and I suspect a touring e-bike is a little different. Maybe more battery capacity, more gear range, maybe stronger motor, etc.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:25 PM

So since there is a speed limit on US bikes, does that mean it’s hackable?

What differences would one want to ask about among bikes like the Orbea, Bianchi, Pinarello etc.?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:32 PM

Steve a buddy of mine bought the new Trek road e-bike,it's great. Has a roughly 30 mile range with the assist in the way he rides it. The bike itself is quite light for what it is
Old 08-18-2020, 09:55 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

I have the Creo myself. I can't really compare it to others, but I can tell you what I think about mine.

I can tweak power and delivery characteristics through the Specialized app,
Plenty of assist on steep climbs to keep up with the best of my skinny friends,
Virtually no motor drag when riding with power off,
Can do 50-60 mile rides with juice to spare (riding in low and medium power mostly, which is enough for most situations). Can add external battery for more juice to complete a century ride if I wanted,
Light weight for an e-bike,
Shimano GRX (as equipped on my Creo) shifts smoothly,
1x gearing is simple, and
Future shock 2.0 front end takes a good amount of buzz out of the road.

Dislikes:
Uses "Road Boost" hub standard (110x12 front and 148x12 rear). Only bikes I'm currently aware that use this standard are the Specialized Creo's and the Focus e-bikes. Only 1 off-the-shelf aftermarket wheel option currently available (DT Swiss HGC 1400 Spline). But a custom solution is to build a wheelset with with regular mountain bike "boost" hubs and swap out the 15mm front end caps with 12mm end caps (DT Swiss 240 hubs do the trick and I'm sure other hubsets do as well, but confirm before buying).

The motor is whiny. High pitched noise is noticeable above the typical wind/drivetrain noise, particularly in turbo mode.

Last edited by ofcounsel; 08-18-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:28 AM
50 bpm

Steve,

We sell both Specialized and Cannondale; I've ridden most of the versions from both.

Creo power from the Brose motor is the most fluid, bar none. Makes you feel like you're JRA with your greatest legs. Lightweight. Real-world range with the battery extender will take you on all but a hilly century. The Future Shock 2.0 (the adjustable one) is really slick. It's my next (last) bike.

The SuperSix EVO's hub motor feels more like it pushes you along, like you're riding with the best tailwind ever. It's sort of fun and close to the Creo in weight. It has a double, not a 1x like the Creo. The two problems with the SuperSix: 1) RW battery range is ~50 miles and 2) they don't make it in our size. I rode the large and it felt like a clown car, although a nimble clown car.

The Synapse Evo is aluminum with the Bosch motor. Torquey, but also very heavy. Hard pass.

Sorry about the knee!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:51 AM

concern about early adoption

this is just the start of the revolution. how quickly will the e market evolve and what are the chances that today's Creo will tomorrow's all-so-ran? and what should we expect in next year(s). not every day i think about blowing $9K on a Creo Expert.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Steve,

We sell both Specialized and Cannondale; I've ridden most of the versions from both.

Creo power from the Brose motor is the most fluid, bar none. Makes you feel like you're JRA with your greatest legs. Lightweight. Real-world range with the battery extender will take you on all but a hilly century. The Future Shock 2.0 (the adjustable one) is really slick. It's my next (last) bike.

The SuperSix EVO's hub motor feels more like it pushes you along, like you're riding with the best tailwind ever. It's sort of fun and close to the Creo in weight. It has a double, not a 1x like the Creo. The two problems with the SuperSix: 1) RW battery range is ~50 miles and 2) they don't make it in our size. I rode the large and it felt like a clown car, although a nimble clown car.

The Synapse Evo is aluminum with the Bosch motor. Torquey, but also very heavy. Hard pass.

Sorry about the knee!
Thank you! Feeling a bit better, actually.

The Creo looks very cool, but I cannot get over the 1x crank and huge cassette. I’d much prefer a typical ( what’s typical these days )? 50/34 and a 12-28 cassette. That way I can use my 11 speed etap group.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2020, 01:19 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Thank you! Feeling a bit better, actually.

The Creo looks very cool, but I cannot get over the 1x crank and huge cassette. I’d much prefer a typical ( what’s typical these days )? 50/34 and a 12-28 cassette. That way I can use my 11 speed etap group.

Thoughts?
You're limited to the Mahle or Fazua motors, which allow for double cranksets. They both have 20 mph limits. (You can go 28 on the Bosch or Brose motors.) Trek, Bianchi and Orbea use those motors and I haven't ridden those.

I'm waiting on the nextgen Creo. Promise of smaller battery and more interface geegaws.. Probably for the 2023 model year.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:27 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
this is just the start of the revolution. how quickly will the e market evolve and what are the chances that today's Creo will tomorrow's all-so-ran? and what should we expect in next year(s). not every day i think about blowing $9K on a Creo Expert.
I get the concern. I picked up the Creo Carbon Comp myself and dropped $6.5k. Not 9k, but still not cheap.

I presume that the bikes will get lighter and more efficient in the next few years. But the Creo is so good right now that I figured I'd get more enjoyment out of it now than waiting for incremental increases in tech. I'm not getting any younger. And I've got a Levo MTB as well, so I figured... why not.

Last edited by ofcounsel; 08-18-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You're limited to the Mahle or Fazua motors, which allow for double cranksets. They both have 20 mph limits. (You can go 28 on the Bosch or Brose motors.) Trek, Bianchi and Orbea use those motors and I haven't ridden those.

I'm waiting on the nextgen Creo. Promise of smaller battery and more interface geegaws.. Probably for the 2023 model year.
That "20 mph limit" is a bit of a misstatement. The motor quits assisting at 20 mph. You can go faster than that, you just have to do it yourself (with or without gravity's help) without motor assist.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:46 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
That "20 mph limit" is a bit of a misstatement. The motor quits assisting at 20 mph. You can go faster than that, you just have to do it yourself (with or without gravity's help) without motor assist.
I think he knows what I meant, but thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-18-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I think he knows what I meant, but thanks for the clarification!
Got it!!!

Does this sound crazy: buy this bike from Ribble...

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribbl...ce-sl-e-sport/

Strip it. Replace everything with high end components and eTap, rebuild the rear hub with a high end carbon rim and have yourself a really tricked out e-bike for much less than the Creo.

Thoughts???

Edit: never mind, they want $1,200 for shipping!!!

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 08-18-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:04 PM

by the time you add..

all that etap and maybe carbon wheels you're working too hard and paying too much for a bike you can't even test ride.

Quote:
Got it!!!

Does this sound crazy: buy this bike from Ribble...

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribbl...ce-sl-e-sport/

Strip it. Replace everything with high end components and eTap, rebuild the rear hub with a high end carbon rim and have yourself a really tricked out e-bike for much less than the Creo.

Thoughts???

Edit: never mind, they want $1,200 for shipping!!!

Last edited by eddief; 08-18-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
all that etap and maybe carbon wheels you're working too hard and paying too much for a bike you can't even test ride.
I have all the components already. No extra outlay of $$$. But, you bring up a very good point regarding not being able to test ride one.

Gonna rethink all of this.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:21 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
I have all the components already. No extra outlay of $$$. But, you bring up a very good point regarding not being able to test ride one. Gonna rethink all of this.
Get your knee fixed first, then if ok'd to ride, consider buying the e-bike.
Suppress the urge to customize it your way. Just get the e-bike that has the easiest resale since you are effectively looking for a longer term rental. if it becomes a permanent need, that's a different path.