Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
It was the sociopathic way he treated others. I’m not judging him for the doping.
You kind of have to be a sociopath on some level to get ahead in this world.

Not to be a good mother/father, provide for your family, make some positive change at the very local level, etc. -- but if you are going to be in politics, running a big business, or excelling at pro sports, acting, or similar, you have to be kind of sick in the head to make it. Normal people just don't have the ego or drive for that stuff.

Last edited by Clean39T; 05-24-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

Not to be a good mother/father, provide for your family, make some positive change at the very local level, etc. -- but if you are going to be in politics, running a big business, or excelling at pro sports, acting, or similar, you have to be kind of sick in the head to make it. Normal people just don't have the ego or drive for that stuff.
I’ll respectfully disagree. You can have a strong but healthy ego without being a sociopath. I can’t/won’t go into details on a public forum, but you can “run a big business” while maintaining a high standard of ethics. It’s all about the values you hold true.

Greg
Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I’ll respectfully disagree. You can have a strong but healthy ego without being a sociopath. I can’t/won’t go into details on a public forum, but you can “run a big business” while maintaining a high standard of ethics. It’s all about the values you hold true.

Greg
Probably true, but in my experience, an exception rather than the norm..

But that all hinges on squishy definitions, so I'll just leave it be.

I share your thoughts on Mr. Armstrong though, based on what I know of him anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
It’s not the doping that I was specifically referring to. It was the sociopathic way he treated others. I’m not judging him for the doping. I’m all too happy to strongly dislike him for the way he treated those who (rightfully) accused him of doping.

Greg
I will go w/ this version above.. People take drugs, drugs are out there, drugs are bad, drugs need you lying etcetera and it´s all under my facts of life file.
It´s the squashing, threatening and destroying anyone on your way just because you have loads of money that is unnacceptable.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
HAHAHAH............absolutely nails it.

"Lance says wouldn't change thing"..........DUH.....if he hadn't doped he'd be a has-been.

And right on about the "he's still this and he's still that"........just let it go already and enjoy your day........HE SURE AS HELL IS
And yet he's still a has-been, like every other athlete who has to go around reminding everyone at the first opportunity just how great they were, how it was tougher in their day, etc etc.

Clinging onto the periphery of the sport that has decidedly told him to go kick rocks, telling anyone who will listen just how much he doesn't care -- yet again -- about how he's been exiled.

He doth protest entirely too much.

But hey, just going off and being a better person and not being in the limelight wouldn't feed the deep-seated narcissism. And so it goes...
Old 05-24-2019, 10:51 PM

And....

Armstrong made about $20,000,000 on the Uber IPO (using $100,000 he got from sponsors in the 90s).

It's true.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:09 PM

Until recently, I had no respect whatsoever for the guy. But, a recent hire at my workplace got me re-thinking things. Despite/because of the narcissism/insecurity, LA was really good at something! The new coworker shares some of the same traits, but, is really bad at his job. I'm looking into Euro sports med docs to recommend to him.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantino View Post
for me, who raised tens of thousands for the foundation, the off-*issing comes down to this: It's one thing to be a doper; many riders were. I'm disappointed that he doped but not "mad" about it. But it's another thing to reputationally assassinate anyone who dares question you. That's where he lost me. (actually, he lost me when he divorced kristin, but that's another story.)
exactly
Old 05-25-2019, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
I can't believe I'm even going to get involved in this conversation, I never take part in you guys' Armstrong indignation. Besides the fact that literally EVERYONE was actually doing it, without cheating, he would not have been competitive, so of course he "does not regret anything." He's rich (still, right?), he's famous, he has benefitted from his cheating enormously. He won the tour seven times, against a bunch of other guys who were doped to the gills. We know his name and argue about what kind of a jerk he was and still is, while he still lives his life of fame and fortune. I don't see idiot or loser.

Who knows what he would be doing if he didn't join the program. Maybe a doctor, maybe a waiter, maybe a car salesman? Maybe he wouldn't have found out about his cancer as early and would be dead, or maybe he would not have been able to treat it as aggressively, or maybe without the drugs he never would have had cancer at all. He has lived a life or fame and wealth.

I know what he really did to tick you guys off was to be an unapologetic a$$hole, for which we should all feel free to hold a grudge, but why be mad about cheating in bike racing.

It's like being mad at professional wrestlers who say that the WWF is real. Are you up nights worried that Hulk Hogan is still profiting off of his corrupt winnings?

Seriously, are you guys going to act all shocked when the guys racing now turn up positive on the next generation of tests?
Good post, spot on.
Quote:
One of the greatest, most popular, most hated and charismatic wrestlers of all time, Hulk Hogan is one of the men who helped parlay the circus-like world of professional wrestling from cult following into the forefront of American entertainment.
Worth $25million as of this year...
Old 05-25-2019, 09:13 AM
slower than you

This is the golden age of sociopathic narcissim. There's a guy who lost a billion dollars in the WH, and a lot of people are still falling for that. He learned a lot studying pro wrestling, too.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:27 AM

Seems like the nice thing about reaching a certain level of fame is that you can just run it as a self-generating machine, with endless cycles of "so and so apologizes," "regrets nothing," "is starting over," etc., every couple of years or so.

I'm not a LA fan, but worse, I've always found him to be a very boring guy. His voice is so flat and I rarely hear anything interesting come out of his mouth.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Disagree. You need to be extremely talented and able to see where you can go as well as where you cannot go business wise. Success is about making good decisions based on good instinct or clear rational thought. Being an a**hole is optional.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:

This is absolutely true. It's the crux of the matter.

We don't flock to buy books titled "The Inside Story of my 15th Place Finish of the Tour de France" or "How I Built Some Fairly Successful Companies .... And How You Can Too!"

I have a good friend who I call the "Wolf of Wall Street" because he shares so many characteristics of the protagonist from that movie. He's a serial entrepreneur and former mixed-martial arts champ who got into cycling. He'll race you to get the mail in the morning. I've seen him set several KOMs while completely hung over from the night before. Mentally, he's just operating at a completely different level than I am.

I neither like nor dislike Lance. But I do think he's endlessly fascinating...
Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 AM
cnighbor2

He got run thru on his own sword

He got run thru on his own sword
My take is when he decided to be a part owner of the sports group that owned the team he didn't think thru what happens to the decisions he make on the team behalf.
When he dictated every pro racer on the team use drugs he was setting up a situation that only could get worst. I seen poor decisions in my field of architecture go from a poor decision to a very bad decision to a big mess.
He didn't think thru the implications which one was the sponsors of his team could sue the sport group. Which is what happened and of course he lost
Most use of drugs in sports are a individual decision. worst that can happen is he is thrown of the team Not worth suing one person