Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2019, 12:58 PM

Dumb pedestrians = high mortality rate.

Just saw this: pedestrian glued to his cell phone, crossing on a not yet turned green light. Car going through yellow. Honked at him and saved his life. The dufus jumped back just in time.

I'm an avid walker. I love walking almost (and sometimes more) than cycling. It's the most efficient form of movement/transportation. But what is it with all these people glued to their cell phones while crossing an intersection? Even when they have a green light? It's sheer stupidity. And it's epidemic.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:01 PM

According to my biologist friend, cycling is the most efficient form of locomotion besides soaring. Seemed an apropos factoid.

On the cell phones, I truly believe we are on the verge of cell phone addiction being seen as a public health crisis. It does messed up things to your brain. I have a severe love/hate relationship with mine.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:40 PM

Sounds like Darwin Award contender there. (Usually awarded posthumously...)
Old 05-23-2019, 05:41 PM

Natural Selection

Natural selection is always at work.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:57 PM

Coming home tonight I drove past a young woman walking her dog, leash in one hand, phone in the other. Never looked up, had no clue as to her surroundings. Combine that that with a texting driver........
Old 05-23-2019, 05:58 PM

Or, you know, the driver could just not run the yellow.

Quote:
Solid Yellow–A yellow traffic signal light means “CAUTION.” The red traffic signal light is about to appear. When you see the yellow traffic signal light, stop if you can do so safely. If you cannot stop safely, cross the intersection cautiously.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...raff_lgts_sgns
Old 05-23-2019, 06:26 PM

encounter as least one phone zombie pedestrian on every ride.

they're totally oblivious to the real world, because they're INSIDE their stupid electronic device rather than evaluating their surroundings.

had a really ugly confrontation recently with a woman who abruptly crossed in front of me without looking up from her phone...

just not going to take any grief for her lack of personal responsibility.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post

sorry, but i disagree with this.
i don't subscribe to the car-is-always-wrong approach. i'm more of a pay-attention-for-the-sake-of-everyone kinda guy.
drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, etc. who are too caught up in their tech to avoid a traffic related death get little sympathy from me.

cyclist stares at his powermeter and rides off a cliff, dies. his fault right?
cyclist stares at his powermeter and rides into traffic, dies. driver's fault???
Old 05-23-2019, 07:01 PM

As I like to say on occasion

Darwin got us pretty far, why interfere with progress?

Postscript: I would have stopped, too.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
According to my biologist friend, cycling is the most efficient form of locomotion besides soaring. Seemed an apropos factoid.

On the cell phones, I truly believe we are on the verge of cell phone addiction being seen as a public health crisis. It does messed up things to your brain. I have a severe love/hate relationship with mine.
Totally agree. There's the mental ramifications (attention deficit disorder) and the physical ramifications (chronic cervical extension, rounded and impinged shoulders).

Pedestrians who text while walking through an intersection should be fined. Drivers who text should face a very heavy fine or go to jail.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Nope.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:23 PM

I'm not saying the pedestrian should have walked in the road without looking, but it is the responsibility of the driver to only enter an intersection on yellow if the way is clear. The driver is in no way some sort of hero here, he should have never even put himself in this position to almost kill someone.

Last edited by jtbadge; 05-23-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying the pedestrian should have walked in the road without looking... he should have never even put himself in this position to almost kill someone.
The car driver may have been trying to "educate" the cellphone user.

If you want to understand more on why people are addicted to their phones, read Matt Richtel's book, A Deadly Wandering. Woven among the story of a texting driver killing two people is an in-depth analysis of how the brain functions and why and what happens with our interactions with our cellphones.

I say about people who are oblivious because they're focused on their device, that "their head is up their phone."

I was stopped at a red light this afternoon and glanced at the vehicle to my right. I clearly saw his phone which was conveniently mounted to his windshield. The screen displayed a string of text messages...
Old 05-23-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
The car driver may have been trying to "educate" the cellphone user.

If you want to understand more on why people are addicted to their phones, read Matt Richtel's book, A Deadly Wandering. Woven among the story of a texting driver killing two people is an in-depth analysis of how the brain functions and why and what happens with our interactions with our cellphones.

I say about people who are oblivious because they're focused on their device, that "their head is up their phone."

I was stopped at a red light this afternoon and glanced at the vehicle to my right. I clearly saw his phone which was conveniently mounted to his windshield. The screen displayed a string of text messages...
"educate?" Give me a break. If the driver almost ran over someone on purpose, that's assault with a deadly weapon.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 PM
slower than you

I just read that NY is considering a law prohibiting walking while texting.