Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 AM

O.t.tesla autonomy vehicle investor day

a great introduction to the next world of cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nou8ZTsf4_c
Old 04-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Classics Fan

Will be very interesting to see what happens as the global luxury car brands move into all electric.

I am not a Tesla fan, neither their cars nor the company. But there seem to be a lot of fans out there!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Oh Elon.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Classics Fan

any body language experts?

Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 AM

I just spent over an hour watching the first part of the video and will be coming back to see the rest. I know there are a lot of Tesla/Musk skeptics (I'm one), but suspend disbelief for a while and watch the video.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Auto manufacturers are likely sweating. In another generation or two, I'd venture the number of cars sold in highly developed nations drops considerably. So many young folks now getting shuttled around in Uber and growing up with that as part of lifestyle. Their new normal. No idea or interest in what it's like to row thru the gears of a normally aspirated big block...
Old 04-24-2019, 10:47 AM

I expect many have seen the battery short circuit video from earlier this week:

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/112071897767879065
Old 04-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelly View Post
I just spent over an hour watching the first part of the video and will be coming back to see the rest. I know there are a lot of Tesla/Musk skeptics (I'm one), but suspend disbelief for a while and watch the video.
From what I have heard from skeptics, the video they showed was highly edited, so they are hoping you will suspend disbelief. What they want to do isn't safe, they are going to kill more people
Old 04-24-2019, 11:45 AM

Since I don't have 2.5hrs to spend on this, can someone post a summary? What's so 'hard to believe' about a future full of autonomous vehicles? A mere 100yrs ago, they wouldn't have believed there'd be 2 autos capable of 100mph speeds in every American garage.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:57 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Since I don't have 2.5hrs to spend on this, can someone post a summary? What's so 'hard to believe' about a future full of autonomous vehicles? A mere 100yrs ago, they wouldn't have believed there'd be 2 autos capable of 100mph speeds in every American garage.
In order to keep the company going, and satisfy his various compulsions, Musk needs to make ever more outlandish promises. This is the latest one. He's going to have 1 million Tesla robotaxis by 2020. Short the stock
Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Auto manufacturers are likely sweating. In another generation or two, I'd venture the number of cars sold in highly developed nations drops considerably. So many young folks now getting shuttled around in Uber and growing up with that as part of lifestyle. Their new normal. No idea or interest in what it's like to row thru the gears of a normally aspirated big block...
I just read an article on kqed about these young tech folks who literally rent out a bed in a storage container, make 6 figures and consider their social media content as their “worldly possessions” things are definitely different
Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 PM

Million mile battery

I just read on smart news that he/they are working on a battery pack that will last 1,000,000 miles. That seems quite a feat if achieved.
The batteries now lose 10 percent of rated capacity at 150,000 miles.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I just read an article on kqed about these young tech folks who literally rent out a bed in a storage container, make 6 figures and consider their social media content as their “worldly possessions” things are definitely different
Saw that too. Millennials don't own, they rent. Here in Indianapolis, we're in the midst of redesigning infrastructure to accommodate this change. Hope it's a good move. Time will tell.

I was skeptical of Tesla til I got one. Not anymore. The company may not last, but it's foolish to deny that it changed the industry in ways that won't be reversed.

Granted, Musk is a narcissistic arse, but my experience with the company, in general, it's employees, blows my experiences with other brands away. Musk IS NOT TESLA, despite his attempts to have us believe otherwise. There's thousands of employees who represent Tesla. Their customer service has been A+ and I've never spoken to him. Don't feed his narcissism by giving credit, or blame, for what happens there.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Elon makes a bunch of fantastical claims unsupported by reality.

Notably that they can solve with software what others are pursuing via a combination of hardware and software for autonomous driving.

There's also the claim these autonomous cars can serve as on demand rideshare vehicles that operate while the owner is doing other things.

It's lunacy.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Elon makes a bunch of fantastical claims unsupported by reality.
With respect, he doesn't live in reality, which is why he's one of the greatest innovators of our time.