Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 03:14 PM

OK, now I know why I dislike electronic groupsets. :-)

I simply do not like the whirring sound. While I am away, away from it all in the thick of the thick, mtb-ing away, the whirr of the motor while shifting reminds me of the civilization that i intend to escape from.

so it is nice, at least for me, to put a finger on why i disliked it. it had been troubling me for months. i mean, i rode the thing, loved the shifting but could not figure out what was bothering me. until today. i guess, sitting home while the virus ravages the world, lent time to some introspection on the really important things in life, i.e., e groupsets.

and yes, if sram makes the sound mute, i would buy it.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:48 PM

The only time I hear my etap is when I change the front ring. Even then I have to be listening for it.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:48 PM

I personally find the joy of bikes that they are purely human powered. Sure I ride with a computer and sensors, but my bike still runs and operates like normal if I forget to charge it. The fact that you could potentially be reliant on a battery or connection issue to ride your bike has always turned me off from considering them as an option.

(Full disclosure, I've never been in a position to afford electronic sifters let alone try them so this may be a bit biased...)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:52 PM

The initial setup, failure and subsequent CF of warranty work left me sour on it. It currently works fine but I don’t think I’d get it again and may not keep it.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:55 PM

I see your point i agree with the "purity" aspect of a mechanical groupset too. I see that for some people this might be a deal breaker. But I am uncertain if sram made a silent e group, would the "purity" aspect bother me. i really do not know. but i would definitely buy it and try it for sure. but this current e group that makes the whirring sound, i do not even want to purchase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkoller91 View Post
I personally find the joy of bikes that they are purely human powered. Sure I ride with a computer and sensors, but my bike still runs and operates like normal if I forget to charge it. The fact that you could potentially be reliant on a battery or connection issue to ride your bike has always turned me off from considering them as an option.

(Full disclosure, I've never been in a position to afford electronic sifters let alone try them so this may be a bit biased...)
Old 03-30-2020, 04:00 PM

What whirring sound do you speak of? Rear shift on my etap is silent.

I did ride my mechanical red 22 yesterday. While I like the mechanical feel I like etap for the simple button click to shift. I was always in the never going electric camp but etap changed my mind.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:00 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I like the Di2 front auto trim noise, like a middle of the cassette notification without looking down...
Old 03-30-2020, 04:09 PM

Mouse farts still take me by surprise.

Then add swishing of pads on discs.........
Old 03-30-2020, 04:25 PM

I have not ridden eTap 11-speed. I rode a Force AXS 12 speed. And there definitely was a whirring when I shifted gears. A very, very short lived whirring or the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
What whirring sound do you speak of? Rear shift on my etap is silent.

I did ride my mechanical red 22 yesterday. While I like the mechanical feel I like etap for the simple button click to shift. I was always in the never going electric camp but etap changed my mind.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:35 PM

i really hate the noise on both my etap 11 and my di2 cuz

you know what can happen if you make too much noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcp5WJYrwsE

Last edited by eddief; 03-30-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:12 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I have not ridden eTap 11-speed. I rode a Force AXS 12 speed. And there definitely was a whirring when I shifted gears. A very, very short lived whirring or the motor.
Cool if you could hack it to sound like the Tardis Dematerialization sound or something...
Old 03-30-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I simply do not like the whirring sound. While I am away, away from it all in the thick of the thick, mtb-ing away, the whirr of the motor while shifting reminds me of the civilization that i intend to escape from.

so it is nice, at least for me, to put a finger on why i disliked it. it had been troubling me for months. i mean, i rode the thing, loved the shifting but could not figure out what was bothering me. until today. i guess, sitting home while the virus ravages the world, lent time to some introspection on the really important things in life, i.e., e groupsets.

and yes, if sram makes the sound mute, i would buy it.
Maybe try a singe speed belt drive bike? :-)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:25 PM
PegoNagos

For a MTB I just do not see the read to go electronic. It's just a single cable to install and adjust. If you crash the drive side of the bike your mechanical rear derailleur is way more likely to survive the crash.

Also, no battery to die. I had a Di2 battery die at the far end of a 30 mile loop (road bike) and was stuck in a single gear for 15 miles of rolling hills the whole way back. It was miserable.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Maybe try a singe speed belt drive bike? :-)
With Onyx hubs.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
With Onyx hubs.
Word!

See what I did there?!

I saw those Onyx at a show recently. Beyond...everything.