Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 09:38 AM

Saddle advice

Hi all,

I have been thinking about swapping to a leather saddle on my Pegoretti Marcelo. My sit bones were measured on a Retul at 141mm so I want to find something wide enough to fit but also firm enough to suit the bike and build which is on the racier side. That said, I don’t race this bike but use it mainly for fairly fast club rides of 60-120km.

Models I’m considering include the Berthoud Galibier (beautiful craftsmanship), Brooks Swallow (too narrow?) and Rivet Independence (160 width).

Any thoughts/recommendations? Thanks.

Stay safe.

Last edited by clarendon; 03-30-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:59 AM

I'm in the same ballpark with my sit bones and I couldn't make the Swallow work, not the width but I found the nose to be too hard, I don't know exactly, I still have it and I want to give it another try just because I find it so beautiful. The Rivet Diablo (155 mm) has been very comfortable on my long-distance bike and has longer rails that the Brooks which is nice if you need to fiddle with positioning. I have both the Brooks Professional and the B17 Narrow Imperial (which is not really that narrow at 151 mm) in other bicycles and I have been very happy with them. Of those, the Professional is the only one that's not carved, but it has not affected me at all.
I have no experience with the Berthoud saddles, but I have read online that they are harder and take a little longer to break in than Brooks. They are gorgeous though.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:08 AM

Berthoud.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:15 AM

My experience w Berthoud and Rivet

I have a narrower stance at 110MM. I really like the Berthoud saddles and suggest you start with the steel rails. They break in quickly and are very comfortable. I rode mine for 25,000 miles before it started to deform but you can replace the tops easily. They are softer than a Brooks etc but they the tops do wear out.

I also have a Rivet saddle that I now use most of the time. I have the Diablo which is the narrowest model. If you buy the Rivet think carefully about the color. I bought the black model which is very hard and took me a long time to break in. It is over a 500 mile break in period. Other colors are easier to break in so you may want to go that direction. These saddles are very close to the Velo Orange leather saddles that were less expensive.

PM me w any questions.

Alan
Old 03-30-2020, 10:29 AM

Interestingly, the black Diablo was almost no break-in period for me, but I am over 190 lbs, so that might be a factor as well.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:31 AM

Selle Anatomica helped me find pain-free cycling after thirty-five years of trying everything else. However, I like the looks of Rivet saddles as well. Yes, they tend to be heavier but they are both now offering carbon and Ti options to carve off a few ounces.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:34 PM

I have two answers for you:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=230064

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=230065
Old 03-30-2020, 06:22 PM

Brooks Swift is the most comfy saddle I own.
Looks appropriate on a racing bike too.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Everything is connected

Berthoud gets my vote...also, the Swallow is wider than the Solour/Galibier...not the opposite and not by much. I’ve had both and the Berthoud product is better made imho and holds up better over time. Both look good and proper on the right bike if that matters to you. By one of each on the used market and try them out...ymmv.

PS the Swallow has loops for a saddle bag and the Solour/Galibier does not. Go with the Aspin/Aravis if that’s an issue. I agree that the steel rail version is a good start as well...you’re saving 70g and it’s costing you $50.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:59 AM

I have used all the saddles you listed over the past six years and my go to for what you are looking for is the Galibier or the steel version Soulor. They are the most comfortable and highest quality saddle I have used to date. Pricey, but worth it IMHO and they look nice as well. I literally have one on every bike I currently own and ride with the exception of my gravel bike which I am running a Berthoud Aspin open.

The other saddles like the swift and Rivet are still really nice saddles, but I think the Berthoud saddles are the highest quality of the bunch. Just make sure to use the saddle treatment. I had one saddle deform a bit when not properly treated during a downpour during D2R2 a couple of years ago, but I forgot to put the waterproof treatment on it. I am still riding the saddle, but it is now on my fat bike and still feels great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2020, 08:44 AM

Thanks all. @hilltopperny and @rwsaunders what sit bone width are you, and how do you find the Galibier/Solour vs slightly wider Aspin/Aravis?
Old 04-16-2020, 09:59 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarendon View Post
Thanks all. @hilltopperny and @rwsaunders what sit bone width are you, and how do you find the Galibier/Solour vs slightly wider Aspin/Aravis?
I couldn't tell you my numbers, but the Aspin fits me as does the Solour...the Solour just seems to have less surface area, which makes sense as it's billed as more of a "racing" saddle and the Aspin is their "touring" saddle. Check out their site for more info. For that matter, the Swallow fits me as well, but not the B17...most folks seem to buy the Aspin over the Solour...hope that helps.

https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/67-saddles