Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Last Friday, I was pretty blue. That seems to be my pattern, every few days I wake up down in the dumps. So, to get out of the house and do something positive, my wife and I called in an order to one of the local breweries that we'd like to remain in business, Button Brewhouse. We order several crowlers, then went about safely stopping by friends' houses to deliver some local cheer. Our arrival and gifts were greatly appreciated and for me, this little effort did a lot to improve my mood. While I can't hang out with my friends, it was important to me to reach out, even if that meant seeing them only briefly from 20 feet away.

I’ll send you my address

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Feeling especially fortunate to have my job. We’ve staggered employee working hours so no more than two arrive/depart at the same time. One person to a truck. I’m only at the shop to re-fuel and pick up supplies. Working north of Boulder this week, servicing hydrants. They are my babies—3/4 done with our annual survey/servicing/repair of 1200.

I bet that work is rewarding.

Be safe
Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 PM

My wife (another Irish Girl) doesn't like when I get shaggy, she bugs me about going to the barber. I told this morning that she is soon going to have to BE the barber if it matters that much. I have one of those beard trimmers with the different plastic length attachments - thinking I'll put the 1/4 inch one on there and let her have at it! Last time I did it that way was 2002 before a 5 week long pilgrimage in Tibet, where I knew I didn't want to be thinking at all about my hair...

Thanks Irish Girl for the good thread vibes!
Old 03-30-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
My wife (another Irish Girl) doesn't like when I get shaggy, she bugs me about going to the barber. I told this morning that she is soon going to have to BE the barber if it matters that much. I have one of those beard trimmers with the different plastic length attachments - thinking I'll put the 1/4 inch one on there and let her have at it! Last time I did it that way was 2002 before a 5 week long pilgrimage in Tibet, where I knew I didn't want to be thinking at all about my hair...

Thanks Irish Girl for the good thread vibes!

Maybe post a before and after photo in the Hair Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
100% this.

I still get up and do my hair first thing!

BEST hair photo ever!!! Love it!!

Old 03-30-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirl View Post
BEST hair photo ever!!! Love it!!

Agreed, phenomenal poof.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Irishgirl is an awesome human being. When I expressed how this pandemic had my attitude, outlook, and feelings in the crapper she did indeed personally reach out to me through a few PMs. It definitely helped lift my spirits! She's right, we gotta stay positive and hang in there and beat this thing. So I personally want to thank her for reaching out to a complete stranger, it meant a lot. And a thanks to oldpotatoe for responding to my comments as well. Since real hugs aren't allowed right now, please accept this online one! Matthew
I'll second that... she did the same with me.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Descent fitness

Great thread!
Similarly to sjbraun, three of us who love a particular and brewery in town have been getting four packs of talls to go and ding ding ditching each other‘s houses about once a week. I did it yesterday, and it was fun to hear “Thanks, Steve!“ As I was getting back in my car.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
Great thread!
Similarly to sjbraun, three of us who love a particular and brewery in town have been getting four packs of talls to go and ding ding ditching each other‘s houses about once a week. I did it yesterday, and it was fun to hear “Thanks, Steve!“ As I was getting back in my car.

I LOVE the “Ding Dong Ditch” framing for this...

I had this thought....can’t wait to tell my kids “...back in the day we would throw several rolls of toilet paper in peoples trees...we called teepeeing”

Old 03-30-2020, 01:11 PM

I’m starting a new job today. Probably gonna get infected. Wish me luck.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post

Quote:

Hey Happy First Day!!

If I was packing your first day lunch I would add
• Your favorite sandwich
• Freshly made cookie (made those last night)
• Some latex gloves
• Antibac lotion from bath and body works (because we had stock in that stuff before COVID)
• since masks are necessary for healthcare workers I’d send an extra pair of undies as I’ve seen some great instructional videos on how to turn those into masks

And a note that said
Wash your hand wash you hand and don’t touch your face!

Old 03-30-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Hey Happy First Day!!

• Your favorite sandwich
• Some latex gloves
• Antibac lotion from bath and body works (because we had stock in that stuff before COVID)
• since masks are necessary for healthcare workers I’d send an extra pair of undies as I’ve seen some great instructional videos on how to turn those into masks

And a note that said

That would have been great compared to what I had, I don’t even want to talk about it at least they have installed many hand sanitizer stations, and are paying temps to go around and wash things down. Also interestingly they’re making every employee fill out this relatively in depth self check form and turn it in at the beginning of every shift, so everyone is checking themselves for symptoms and if they have any they are supposed to stay home. That all said, since covid spreads asymptomatically I don’t know how much good it will all do. It’s a nearly million square foot manufacturing facility but most people are working in close quarters with one another.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That would have been great compared to what I had, I don’t even want to talk about it at least they have installed many hand sanitizer stations, and are paying temps to go around and wash things down. Also interestingly they’re making every employee fill out this relatively in depth self check form and turn it in at the beginning of every shift, so everyone is checking themselves for symptoms and if they have any they are supposed to stay home. That all said, since covid spreads asymptomatically I don’t know how much good it will all do. It’s a nearly million square foot manufacturing facility but most people are working in close quarters with one another.
yea.

from what i now believe, there are way, way more people in the US that have this than we have counted. i'm gathering you are a reasonably young, healthy person, and many others in manufacturing are the same. my guess is that someone you work with has it, isnt showing symptoms and never will, and soon, you will all have it. the good news is most healthy people will probably never know, or have mild symptoms.

my advice is to not worry too terribly much, but desperately try and limit your out of work contact with others, especially anyone in the higher risk segment.

hang in there! it's almost 5pm west coast time, you've almost made it through monday!
Old 03-30-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Hey Happy First Day!!

• Your favorite sandwich
• Some latex gloves

And a note that said

I think you’re a shoo-in for the “Paceline Den Mother.” Pretty sure the monetary compensation is minuscule, but the psychic rewards are innumerable.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yea.

from what i now believe, there are way, way more people in the US that have this than we have counted. i'm gathering you are a reasonably young, healthy person, and many others in manufacturing are the same. my guess is that someone you work with has it, isnt showing symptoms and never will, and soon, you will all have it. the good news is most healthy people will probably never know, or have mild symptoms.

my advice is to not worry too terribly much, but desperately try and limit your out of work contact with others, especially anyone in the higher risk segment.

hang in there! it's almost 5pm west coast time, you've almost made it through monday!
Well I’m 34 and pretty healthy. I had pneumonia or something like it last year and have allergies and possibly minor asthma at times, so that’s the only thing making me worried. I’m not overweight and don’t have high BP. Basically at this point I’m hoping for the best... the alternative is not working which is tempting but I’d need to get a job someday, 6-8 months from now if I was frugal, at which point I would be out of money and might have trouble finding work because of the economy. Not to mention no work = no heath insurance.

Anyway sorry to derail the thread.