Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 05:43 PM

I bought one too after reading your review. If you ever want to sell that bike let me know! I think we're the same size. Looks that way to my untrained eye.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:53 PM

Like others have commented, I have a generally slim build, thin wrists, ankles, etc. so the natural assumption is that you don't need a wide saddle.

Spent years going through saddles. Tried almost everything. Realized one day that on most thin (at the time standard) saddles I was sitting off to the side so that at least one sit bone was resting on the meat of the saddle.

Then got measured using the Specialized sit-o-meter thing and it recommended a 155 saddle. Tried them and what do you know, they work. I use several 155 Specialized saddles: Power, Power Arc and Phenom.

Moral - don't assume your preferred saddle width based on anything else.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:04 PM

Specialized Romin and Power 155 saddles have worked best for me.

Can anyone compare their experience with a Power 155 and Stealth 152?

Hopefully all these saddles will get cheaper soon...
Old 03-24-2020, 07:49 PM

I might have to try this. I ride the Selle Italia SLR and I thought that was the best fit for me so far. But I still have discomfort in my sit bones after about 40 min.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:03 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew+ View Post
Specialized Romin and Power 155 saddles have worked best for me.

Can anyone compare their experience with a Power 155 and Stealth 152?

Hopefully all these saddles will get cheaper soon...
The difference is all in the nose and the cut-out. Sure, the shape is slightly different, but the big differences are those. The Power (the original) has a nose that almost feels like it doesn't exist between the legs, but it is harder than the Stealth, so on the crotch, you notice it more. The Stealth has an awesome cutout.... it's huge.

Again, I started having problems with the width of the Stealth and switched back to the Power (but have now switched to the Fizik Argo, which is better than both).

The Fizik Argo (Tempo) has a nose more like the Power with the cutout more like the Stealth. It's also not the "perfect" saddle, but it is the best saddle I have ever used and better than both the Power and Stealth for sure.

Have also tried the Selle Italia SP-01 Superflow which is a very nice shape, a little ugly, and very, very firm/hard. I used to use a full carbon saddle with no padding and this somehow bothers my butt more.

So I've tried a lot of these large cutout/short saddles

Last edited by rain dogs; 03-25-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:49 PM

Where’d you get that frame?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
The difference is all in the nose and the cut-out. Sure, the shape is slightly different, but the big differences are those. The Power (the original) has a nose that almost feels like it doesn't exist between the legs, but it is harder than the Stealth, so on the crotch, you notice it more. The Stealth has an awesome cutout.... it's huge.

Again, I started having problems with the width of the Stealth and switched back to the Power (but have now switched to the Fizik Argo, which is better than both).

The Fizik Argo (Tempo) has a nose more like the Power with the cutout more like the Stealth. It's also not the "perfect" saddle, but it is the best saddle I have ever used and better than both the Power and Stealth for sure.

Have also tried the Selle Italia SP-01 Superflow which is a very nice shape, a little ugly, and very, very firm/hard. I used to use a full carbon saddle with no padding and this somehow bothers my butt more.

So I've tried a lot of these large cutout/short saddles
Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:21 PM

I have a virtually new 152 Pro Stealth (Ti rails) if anyone is interested. I know this is not the classifieds but, just thought I would mention it. $50+shipping, pay me after you get it. PM if you want it.

Edit: Saddle is now sold.

Last edited by rnhood; 03-25-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
You were on a 155 Spec Power, right? The Fizik Tempo Argo is offered in 150 or 160 mm width. Which size did you go with and do you feel it was the right choice? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:13 AM

I have also found the Stealth a much better perch than an Arione for wider sit bones. I’m considering trying out the Fizik Argo on another bike. Does anyone have any advice/experience comparing the Vento vs the Tempo models? They are marketing the Vento for racing and Tempo for endurance but interested in any real world comparisons. Thanks and stay safe.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:51 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
You were on a 155 Spec Power, right? The Fizik Tempo Argo is offered in 150 or 160 mm width. Which size did you go with and do you feel it was the right choice? Thanks.
Yes and no. My wife has the 155 Power Expert. I had the 142 Power Pro. But I tried both to compare for myself. Also the padding differences.

The Fizik I have in the 150. I would be curious to try it smaller if they made it. It's not so much that its necessary... just would be curious. The 160 for me... man, I would think that would be wide, but that's just an assumption.

I'm also really skinny, small boned 180cm 69kg (5'11" 150lbs) so I wouldn't think I would 'need' a wide saddle, but they are very comfortable. But also, I don't put too much value on "old school" rational, I prefer to try things and see for myself.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:55 PM

Sit bone width. With the pro stealth, can you use your measured sit bone width to choose the 142 or 152 saddle? I have not found any specific references.

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-30-2020, 01:57 PM

I have the new Stealth Lightweight for my next bike.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:40 PM

I used Spesh Power saddles before going to the Stealth (155 on the power, 152 on the Stealth). I prefer the stealth because the nose is wider, and feels more comfortable when you are on the rivet for an extended period. Some may dislike it for the same reason. New Power Mimic somewhat bridges the gap.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:27 PM

I'm 6'4", 200 lbs 130 sit bones and I have tried many short-nosed saddles.

I have had the most luck with the Power Expert 155 and have ridden it for a couple of years. I do long charity rides up to 140 miles and I had a hard time walking riding that long on the Power Expert.

I didn't get along with the Power Arc because of the shape. The Prologo Dimension Nack was too narrow. The Pro Stealth was great up to 50 miles and then it hurt my sit bones.

I'm currently trying the Specialized Mimic 155. It has been the only saddle that is actually comfortable on the trainer. I've done long rides on the Mimic, and I think it's better than the Power Expert.