Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The Cannondale geometry chart is helpful, but the combination of headset top cap and spacers, plus your stem angle would be valuable too. Most standard headset tops are 15mm these days, but adding 20mm of spacer would increase that to 35mm.

A standard Chris King headset has a stack of 28mm, to add to the head tube length listed in the geometry chart, but up to 20mm of spacers can be added without looking too dorky.

The 58cm traditional frame comes the closest to your 56cm C'dale. The top tube is 4mm longer, but the seat tube angle is .5 degree less, which means that the saddle would be a little further forward to place the saddle in the same position relative to the BB and offset the longer top tube. The minimum head tube length,with the headset would be about 179mm.

The problem with this size may be the standover height being too tall.

The shorter reach on the 56cm would require a 110mm stem since the steeper STA requires the saddle to be moved a 5-6mm further back on the post, but the head tube is 15mm shorter. Adding more spacers reduces the reach.

Back in the days when Colnago geometry was developed, the concept of frame reach was not in play and you often see very little difference in reach between two sizes, since the increase in TT length was at least partially cancelled out by decrease in the STA, as the sizes get larger.

https://www.colnago.com/wp-content/u...RADITIONAL.pdf

Here's a picture of my first C-40, a 55cm, probably from 2002. Back then I made the mistake of buying frames that fit my leg length better than my torso length, but I always used a setback seat post and a 110mm stem. Back then nearly all bars and the common ramp down angle that place the brake hoods lower than the top of the bars. These days, most bars place the brake hoods higher.

At the same time, I had just built up a new 54cm C-40 and planned to sell the first one.

Today, I ride what would be the equivalent of a 52cm traditional frame, but it's called a 48cm, based on the seat tube length. I use a lot more drop, but I could easily raise the bars by 2cm with a -6 stem instead of a -17.

What is your center of bb to saddle height Dave? 70.5cm?
Old 03-25-2020, 09:32 AM

If you decide to go in the direction of a 57, I know a guy selling a pristine Colnago Tecnos (beautiful Rabbobank livery like Wallyman's master) for a good price.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
What is your center of bb to saddle height Dave? 70.5cm?
73cm
Old 03-25-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
73cm

Mine is 71. The same size bike. 54.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:

A standard Chris King headset has a stack of 28mm, to add to the head tube length listed in the geometry chart, but up to 20mm of spacers can be added without looking too dorky.
Yeah I think if I go with the 56 I'll need 4 cm extra after the headset. Probably would look to dorky. Even with a top cap of 15mm I would need an extra 25mm.

I'm using a - 6 ste. I could go with 0 stem but don't love the look of thay either

Thanks for everyone's help
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 PM

Wise choice. A traditional frame isn't for everyone. Modern sloping TT frames with taller head tubes work better for many people. No use being uncomfortable when riding.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:27 AM

Forgot to ask what's the tire clearance on these?

Just in case I change my mind or decide to go with a 58 size
Old 03-26-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herder View Post
Forgot to ask what's the tire clearance on these?

Just in case I change my mind or decide to go with a 58 size
Running 25s on mine with a ton of space, I’ve read from others that that 28s will safely clear and I don’t doubt it.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herder View Post
Yeah I think if I go with the 56 I'll need 4 cm extra after the headset. Probably would look to dorky. Even with a top cap of 15mm I would need an extra 25mm.

I'm using a - 6 ste. I could go with 0 stem but don't love the look of thay either

Thanks for everyone's help

You should ride one before buying. Or at least straddle a master on a shop. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 AM

This website allows you to insert a lot of details/measurements and compare two bikes with various components.

www.bikegeocalc.com
Old 03-31-2020, 05:22 AM

I'm 5' 11' and I've had a few different Masters - three with a threaded stem and one with a threadless fork and modern stem. Three were 57cm and they always felt a bit low at the front and a 59cm that felt about right. If you are used to modern compact/upright geo then the short headtube of a master will seem quite aggressive.

For reference I'm generally fitting a 58cm cannondale, a 56s modern Colnago or a 57 Ritchey if that helps. I'm not overly flexible so you might be able to cope with a lower front end than me.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyfelix View Post
I'm 5' 11' and I've had a few different Masters - three with a threaded stem and one with a threadless fork and modern stem. Three were 57cm and they always felt a bit low at the front and a 59cm that felt about right. If you are used to modern compact/upright geo then the short headtube of a master will seem quite aggressive.

For reference I'm generally fitting a 58cm cannondale, a 56s modern Colnago or a 57 Ritchey if that helps. I'm not overly flexible so you might be able to cope with a lower front end than me.
a 56s colnago has a 58cm eff-top-tube...so it fits like a 60-61 for most other brands! i'm 6'1" and +35" inseam and ride...a 56s colnago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13427804_10208707035505162_8311807796236241600_n.jpg (149.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 AM

I found Cicli Corsa and Maestro (Mike) online and I think Im gonna go ahead and make the purchase. The savings is really big compared what I can get a frame here in Canada. I sent Mike my basic measurements and he advised a 57, a 58 would also work. So same as most of the advice I found here.

Thanks again

Any suggestions on who to order from? Both options seem to have really good reviews online. My greatest concern now would be getting a damaged frame in the mail, like small dents or dings.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
I have both. 5'11" here.

The 58 (Colnago Sized) master X light I've owned - well, forever - fits me like a 56 "square" (even thought the effective TT is something like 56.3)...within spitting distance of my 56 CAAD (which is truly a 56 TT).

m_b
How do you find the steering? I know they don't post hta but from what I can tell the hta is around 72 giving the bike a lot of trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfr View Post
I have a 57 Colnago C50, which I believe has similar geo. I use a 110 stem. I'm 6' 1/2 ". Fits great. My son has a 56 Caad12 and that's the size I would use as well. All my other bikes are M and/or 56ish. Hope this helps.
Any steering concerns with the Colnago? Doesn't feel dead. Not sure if your HTA is the same as the Master, should be similar