Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 10:25 AM

colnago master x light sizing

I've always wanted this frame and LBS has a few frames on sale, wondering if one will fit me okay. Its hard where I am to actually be able to try one.

Im 6 feet tall. My bottom bracket to seat height is 29.5 putting my inseam at around 33.4 inches.

I have read online that with the master you should get the same size you usually ride and just get a longer stem, as the top tube is a little shorter on the sizing scale. Why is a longer stem recommended? I see a lot of people saying get a longer stem with the bike in the searches I've done.

I usually ride a 56 and everything looks like I can get on the 56 with longer stem, however the head tube seems so much shorter then I am used to. How much does the headset add to the headtube length?

The best comparison I can use is probably a caad12 size 56.

Im thinking a 57 or 58 would fit me better? I can grab a 56 or 59 locally. I wouldn't want to waste money with the wrong size. Just wanted to hear some others opinions.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation.jpg (75.5 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by Herder; 03-23-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:36 AM

Remember, the Colnago sizing is center-to-top. Use the center-to-center measurement to compare to other frames. Select the seat tube sizing that fits you best, then adjust your reach with the stem.

You *may* end up with a slightly longer stem than you're accustomed to, probably by 5 or 10mm.

But the best way to size *any* bike is to ride a representative sampling and choose the one that disappears under you.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-23-2020, 10:41 AM

I'm 6'0, 32 inseam. I ride a 56 CAAD10 and I've owned a 55 Master x light before and it was too small. I'd recommend a 57 or 58. Probably not 59. I wouldn't waste money. Lots of used ones keep popping up.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:44 AM

Top-tube length!!!

as long as you're generally within the human-proportion bell-curve, get the colnago with the correct STA and TT combo that line up with what works for you.

"size" is a secondary consideration when it comes to fit! again, as long as you're generally a "normally" proportioned person.

Last edited by wallymann; 03-23-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:56 AM

I'm a little shorter--but used to be 6'--and like a more traditional fit--that's the disclaimer.

The slightly older geo had the Colnago "59" a little closer to a 57 square measured C-T-C--I believe the TT measurement was 56.8cm so that was my rule of thumb, with its analogue being the 54s in the sloping frames. This would be paired with a 120 stem, and the best fit I have had was on that size CT1.

From what you've posted it looks like the "58" is closer to that now, so that's probably where I would start. ( i might still go 59, because it gives you a 160 HT measurement.)

I honestly think that the chatter about longer stems with Colnagos is mostly internet blather--IMO they don't fit much different than any other Italian bike, once you assimilate the notion that their sizing is C-T-T (and measured to the bottom of the seat collar) as C40 has said.

Last edited by paredown; 03-23-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:59 AM

56 CAAD = "58" Master X Light

I have both. 5'11" here.

The 58 (Colnago Sized) master X light I've owned - well, forever - fits me like a 56 "square" (even thought the effective TT is something like 56.3)...within spitting distance of my 56 CAAD (which is truly a 56 TT).

m_b
Old 03-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post

I honestly think that the chatter about longer stems with Colnagos is mostly internet blather--IMO they don't fit much different than any other Italian bike, once you assimilate the notion that their sizing is C-T-T (and measured to the bottom of the seat collar) as C40 has said.
The story was, in the Good Old Days (TM), that a shorter top tube and longer stem would put the rider lower and more out front on the bike. Maybe, but most of us use good bike fitting to accomplish our ideal positioning.

The slightly shorter top tubes work well for my specific fitting needs. I also use a relatively short stem, and am comfortable on a variety of Colnagos - C40, C50, Dream...still building up both a Master Olympic and Prestige. I expect the former to fit like a glove (same measurements as my Spiral Conic SLX), we'll see about the latter.

Note - the steel bikes fit just slightly differently than the aluminum and Ti bikes. I have not been able to find a Ti Colnago that fits me...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-23-2020, 11:12 AM

More info

Need more info-

What is your saddle height, saddle setback, reach from tip of saddle to center of bars, and how much lower are your bars than the saddle?
Old 03-23-2020, 11:54 AM

Colnago fit is different. Err on the smalish side. Their front center seems to be longer. They measure c-t for a reason. I suggest get the size you ride on other bikes and adjust your fit w/ the stem and spacers.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Remember, the Colnago sizing is center-to-top. Use the center-to-center measurement to compare to other frames. Select the seat tube sizing that fits you best, then adjust your reach with the stem.

You *may* end up with a slightly longer stem than you're accustomed to, probably by 5 or 10mm.

But the best way to size *any* bike is to ride a representative sampling and choose the one that disappears under you.
So how would this be different from what Cannondale uses. I am trying to compare it to online charts and use the effective top tube length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCilliams View Post
I'm 6'0, 32 inseam. I ride a 56 CAAD10 and I've owned a 55 Master x light before and it was too small. I'd recommend a 57 or 58. Probably not 59. I wouldn't waste money. Lots of used ones keep popping up.
How small was it? Was it really to low or really short or both?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herder View Post
So how would this be different from what Cannondale uses. I am trying to compare it to online charts and use the effective top tube length.
IDK. Last time I bought a Cannondale, it was for my son, and he was 14. He's 30 now...and riding my Colnago Crystal, with a horizontal top tube.

If you're going to drop $3K on a new Master, please, go ride one to figure out what size you need. The best bike in the world, if it doesn't fit you properly, will frustrate you forever.

Or...find some people in your area, if possible, with steel Colnagos in your size, and ride them.

Just don't try to figure out the size you need via spreadsheet. You might get it right, or you might not.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-23-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't waste money. Lots of used ones keep popping up.
Used Masters run in the range of $1000, plus/minus depending on specific model, age, finish. That's what I spent for my very clean Master Olympic (frame, original fork, headset) a couple of years ago.

Sounds like the OP might want a new one, versus a 25-30 year old frame. Fully understandable!

But even with a used one, he'll have to figure out what size he needs!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-23-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herder View Post

How small was it? Was it really to low or really short or both?
It was a Colnago 55. So I could make the top tube work with stem, but the seat tube was really too low. I needed more like a 57-58 c-t.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c40_guy View Post
but even with a used one, he'll have to figure out what size he needs!
top tube length!!!
Old 03-23-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
It was a Colnago 55. So I could make the top tube work with stem, but the seat tube was really too low. I needed more like a 57-58 c-t.
I think I ended up being the lucky beneficiary of DC's 'Nago sizing error.

Thx again pal, it really is a special ride of a lifetime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3020.jpg (120.9 KB, 215 views)