Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
fortunately, a concetp2 is something i DO have in my basement

agree, that rowing, or any high intensity cardio for that matter, generates a lot of "particulate".

the gyms around here have very popular spin classes, cardio dance stuff, etc. you're not going to avoid transmission in an environment like that, i dont think.

forget about the locker rooms!
With the added “benefit” that high intensity aerobic exercise weakens the immune system for a few hours...
Old 03-12-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Yah unfortunately moderating is a tough job that has been an issue since the early dawn of the internet. (70s or 80s at least!)

Thanks for doing a good job here.
Yea, even on usenet there were newless clewbies!

Thanks for what you do!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-12-2020, 11:36 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
"...Makes it much easier to open the door holding a paper towel after you have washed your hands...then you can drop it right in..."
It makes me crazy when all that is offered are dumb high-speed driers.
That forces a return to stall to obtain fragile TP to use on the doorknob.
Or for goodness sake design public bathroom doors to be touchless.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Handshakes can certainly be retired forever for all I care.
The gracious method used by the Thai is endearing and sincere.
Own palms pressed together and accompanied by a slight nod.
When I see patients in the office the first thing I have always done is head directly to the sink to wash my hands, as I simultaneously greet the individual. This will usually preclude a handshake. Though many still (this morning!) go for a handshake at the end of the visit.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:42 AM
Vendor

My wife works for Key Corp, a large national bank. They just told her starting today, people are to work from home unless it's absolutely critical. She has more than one office and goes between a couple buildings due to her position(management). She's had 3 of 4 days home this week already so this isn't a major change going forward because they'd already said any meeting over 20 people needs to be held remotely.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Westport, Connecticut:

[I]First Selectman Jim Marpe held a news conference today outside Town Hall to announce that there has been evidence of COVID-19 community spread in Westport. The link to the conference is: https://www.facebook.com/westportct....8487076467617/
My daughter works a couple of towns over, as an ABA therapist, which mostly involves sitting in close proximity to young kids who have no boundary control. Even if the local schools are closed, her company is open for business. And they pay her hourly, if she works.

So far they've done nothing to protect her. No calling in advance to confirm family health...

Am I concerned about her health. Yea.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-12-2020, 11:43 AM

Here's what I would find very enlightening, rather than where the virus is popping up next.

The virus is making people (myself included) make uncomfortable choices. For now, I continue to take public transportation. Many people are forgoing that, and opting to stay home, or drive. I hate driving in the City. (and in general, really) It's stressful, time consuming, expensive (ever get a parking ticket in SF?) and bad for the environment. So what to do?

Also, on the "Dow" thread, there are some very keen minds. verticaldoug, echappist, and MattTuck,(who gave me a very thorough and much appreciated communication on economic matters) to name just a few.

What does this portend for the future? Is it possible that we change our patterns of consumption, living, commuting, etc? Is it possible that we think about living more sustainably because of this? I am a total neophyte when it comes to the economy, so I'd really appreciate any input.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

I sure wish my Fortune 1000 employer would publicly announce handshakes are not policy...at least for now.
It would make it far easier to explain to visiting clients when signs are clearly posted in office for all to see.
It would essentially remove the discomfort and allow the business relationship to continue without anyone feeling snubbed.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:47 AM

How do I get my Nephew, living with us for college, to take this seriously? The human Petri dish just nods his head, then it's back to his status quo. Telling him about the NBA announcement last night was the first time he actually listened.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:52 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
"...How do I get my Nephew, living with us for college, to take this seriously?
The human Petri dish just nods his head, then it's back to his status quo..."
The good news is you likely can exert more pressure about hygiene policy as the homeowner than he can as the visiting nephew college student.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
How do I get my Nephew, living with us for college, to take this seriously? The human Petri dish just nods his head, then it's back to his status quo. Telling him about the NBA announcement last night was the first time he actually listened.
What would like him to do differently? We're all human petri dishes.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:58 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
It makes me crazy when all that is offered are dumb high-speed driers.
Fecal fans? Those things are bad hygiene on non-pandemic days.

Donevwil, I'm genuinely interested in the behavior you'd like to see from the kid. Not because I want to be critical on the internet, but because I will soon have both a highschool and college kid "working" from home with me and I'm trying to figure out our approach.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:03 PM
Classics Fan

In a move that will surprise no one, it appears the money hungry NCAA basketball march madness tournament will be the last major sporting event to cancel its games.

Gotta wring as much money out of those unpaid "student" athletes as possible.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This one kind of surprised me:

REI Garage Sale this weekend.

Our local REI holds garage sales in a back room that gets really crowded. I would think in light of what's going on they would cancel/postpone this. A bunch of gear nuts that typically are heavy travelers pawing through used gear. eek.

c'mon REI.
A few days ago REI sent me an email saying how seriously they're taking COVID-19 and the measures they've put in place to keep the stores clean. Today I got the garage sale email.

I sent them a polite reply telling them, as if they didn't already know, that the virus can live on surfaces for days and that they're creating a real threat to their customers who will be packed like sardines into the sale area and all pawing the same stuff, as well as to their staff. I suggested that they postpone the sale and focus their efforts on keeping the store clean.

I also said I think they should give their employees paid leave if they or someone in their family is sick, emphasize staying at home under those conditions, and assist their hourly employees who lose shifts because of this.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
In a move that will surprise no one, it appears the money hungry NCAA basketball march madness tournament will be the last major sporting event to cancel its games.

Gotta wring as much money out of those unpaid "student" athletes as possible.
Some of the games have been cancelled, but I guess the main tournament is still on??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCAA_Basketball.jpg (44.7 KB, 226 views)