Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
There not certain that the origin of the Spanish Flu was Kansas.
There is also theories that “The major UK troop staging and hospital camp in Étaples in France has been theorized by researchers as being at the center of the Spanish flu.”, as well as some other theories.

And please, “the right”, “certain people” — Anyone watching the daily White House briefings know that it’s President Trump
The report listed the first reported cases were Kansas but also mentioned it could have been in France due to the troops from WW1. But they mentioned Kansas as being the first reported cases. It was an interesting podcast. But it was not Spain they've said.

I said people on on the Right because it hasn't been just Trump. Hannity, Regan, Carlson, Pirro, Huckabee, Limbaugh. Pretty much everyone on the right has been pushing the narrative of the Chinese Virus including Marco Rubio just the other day and claiming the media is loving all the cases in the US to make Trump look bad. So it's not just Trump. But yes, he has the biggest mouth. I mean, megaphone.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
The report listed the first reported cases were Kansas but also mentioned it could have been in France due to the troops from WW1. But they mentioned Kansas as being the first reported cases. It was an interesting podcast. But it was not Spain they've said.

I said people on on the Right because it hasn't been just Trump. Hannity, Regan, Carlson, Pirro, Huckabee, Limbaugh. Pretty much everyone on the right has been pushing the narrative of the Chinese Virus including Marco Rubio just the other day and claiming the media is loving all the cases in the US to make Trump look bad. So it's not just Trump. But yes, he has the biggest mouth. I mean, megaphone.
Yes, but they are, IMO, following Trump’s lead.
Now, recently POTUS stopped calling it that in the Daily Briefings (I think, can’t stomach the full briefing), so let’s see (hopefully) if the names you mentioned follow suit.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:20 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
this guy : Jose Gomez : I'd like to put a face to the name other wise we end up with the assumption this is a right winger, trump supporting caucasian...ala George Zimmerman. There is just plenty of stupid to go around in the world
I agree. Plenty of stupid people. I didn't specify the person who did this was a right winger. Just that these comments BY people on the right are causing an increase in attacks on Asian Americans. If they just stated COVID-19 or CoronaVirus and would come out more forcefully and say it's not Asian Americans fault or something, it would help. But they don't. Some continue to push the China/Chinese virus narrative. And it's a disgusting thing to do. Because it ends up pushing fragile people over the edge and they end up doing something like what happened in Midland.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Yes, but they are, IMO, following Trump’s lead.
Now, recently POTUS stopped calling it that in the Daily Briefings (I think, can’t stomach the full briefing), so let’s see (hopefully) if the names you mentioned follow suit.
I agree, they are. Hell, Hannity said that's when he's "at his best" when he was pushing that narrative. And it's BS! I can't handle a full briefing anymore either. Too much back patting even though people are dying. Hopefully something gets thru to people to stop calling it that though.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Anyone else frustrated that people on the Right keep calling it the Chinese or China Virus? Especially since it's leading to Asian Americans getting assaulted.
And then the defense is, well, it came from China. And they use the Spanish Flu as justification. YET!!! The 1918 flu pandemic didn't originate in Spain! I want a reporter to bring that up. It originated in Kansas! Those were the first reported cases, on a military base in Kansas. Throughline on NPR had a great piece on this. They named it the Spanish Flu cause the Spanish media was the only ones talking about it.

Well, as you said, it's from China. Therefore, not too many mistakes like the Spanish Flu.
China Flu seems an apt descriptor.

What you say, what your President says, what I say, doesn't really change that it's from China.
Many things led to it's spread, but that's just another crap sandwich that I have to eat.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 AM
Administrator

I know it's difficult to fully separate out politics from this issue, and we've given this warning many times in this discussion. We also recognize that people want to discuss this important issue, but it's not helpful when people bring in partisan politics. So if you do this, your thread may be removed without any notification.

Quote:
The Paceline Forum is NOT . . .

• For discussion of partisan political topics. If a discussion devolves into partisan politics it will be shut down by the moderators and the thread may be deleted and/or suspensions handed out. Experience has taught us these discussions inevitably deteriorate.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:30 AM

I know YOU didn't.

the reasons are political and probably should not be discussed in this thread.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:37 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skenry View Post
Well, as you said, it's from China. Therefore, not too many mistakes like the Spanish Flu.
China Flu seems an apt descriptor.

What you say, what your President says, what I say, doesn't really change that it's from China.
Many things led to it's spread, but that's just another crap sandwich that I have to eat.
The funny thing is I've spoken to a few people who had COVID-19 like symptoms last year before the outbreak. And they live here. No contact to people traveling abroad. My mom had flu like symptoms in October/November last year. So 2 months before they announced it in China. She was negative for flu and strep and it took two months for her to kick it. And she thinks she had it due to all the symptoms including the whole weird thing about taste. I know someone else who believe he had it after a trip to Chicago. Long before it made it's way East from Washington State.

While the first "reported" cases were China, I would really love an investigation into its origins. But that'll happen quite a ways down the road. The whole bio lab thing in Wuhan has been debunked. Some blame it on a lab in North Carolina. I don't believe it was engineered. But it clearly came from somewhere or something.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:38 AM

Yup, the illness was called the Wuhan or Chinese flu at the start of the pandemic, but now it has an official name, Covid-19. The old terminology is no longer relevant or useful. Call it what it is, Covid-19. End of story.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
The funny thing is I've spoken to a few people who had COVID-19 like symptoms last year before the outbreak. And they live here. No contact to people traveling abroad. My mom had flu like symptoms in October/November last year. So 2 months before they announced it in China. She was negative for flu and strep and it took two months for her to kick it. And she thinks she had it due to all the symptoms including the whole weird thing about taste. I know someone else who believe he had it after a trip to Chicago. Long before it made it's way East from Washington State.

While the first "reported" cases were China, I would really love an investigation into its origins. But that'll happen quite a ways down the road. The whole bio lab thing in Wuhan has been debunked. Some blame it on a lab in North Carolina. I don't believe it was engineered. But it clearly came from somewhere or something.

Kinda hard to say no contact with people traveling. People travel, they just do. It's the result of having open borders, people come and go.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:46 AM
Vendor

I agree it's hard to have zero contact with people in general.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:

I had a bad cold, possibly flu last Oct / Nov.
Somewhat mild, kicked it in a week.
Wasn’t COVID-19
Old 03-31-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Yup, the illness was called the Wuhan or Chinese flu at the start of the pandemic, but now it has an official name, Covid-19. The old terminology is no longer relevant or useful. Call it what it is, Covid-19. End of story.
Oh jeez, people use common terminology all the time.
If you get the China Flu will you blow your nose with a kleenex or a single use facial tissue?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:

American coronavirus?
Mom had it, and you know someone else too...
That should cause us to casting doubt on virus origin.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:59 AM

Conspiracy theory that has been gaining traction in China – that the coronavirus did not originate in China but came from the US instead.
More propaganda aimed at countering criticism of the Chinese government for not better managing the outbreak in its early stages.

Last edited by Tony; 03-31-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Closed Thread