Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

In this extended interview, Dr. John Ioannidis of Stanford University cautions that we do not have reliable data to make long-term decisions about COVID-19, and that an extended lockdown might have far graver effects than the disease itself.

Fascinating views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEr4...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-30-2020, 11:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirl View Post
A couple of doctors had the idea too!

See doctor's novel solution to deal with mask shortage https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...an-pkg-vpx.cnn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
That's awesome, good for them! And if you didn't make it to the end of the video, also awesome that the company that makes the masks noticed this and has suspended sales of the masks to the public and is donating them all to health care. And, as gasman shared with me earlier today in a PM, apparently our local hospital staff are working with "a local company [to make] more face shields with a 3-D printer." This snorkel solution also takes care of that.
Fantastic!
Old 03-30-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
In this extended interview, Dr. John Ioannidis of Stanford University cautions that we do not have reliable data to make long-term decisions about COVID-19, and that an extended lockdown might have far graver effects than the disease itself.

Fascinating views.
The video is an hour long. What was the crux of his argument as far as the detrimental effects of a lockdown? The pseudo mullet was both fascinating and disconcerting.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:58 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
The video is an hour long. What was the crux of his argument as far as the detrimental effects of a lockdown? The pseudo mullet was both fascinating and disconcerting.
'Show More' under the video leads you to easy access to questions, but the basics of his stance are:

Dr. Ioannidis summarizes his article titled “A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data”.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:

Fascinating views.
That video is worth the watch, especially once it gets over 30-mins in.

Last edited by Clean39T; 03-31-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:30 AM

From this morning's scary reading--another "super-spreader" event, this time in Albany Georgia. A funeral for a man who likely died of a heart-attack, a big gathering with a "repast", lots of hugging, singing etc.

Now two dozen relatives infected, a number of deaths, and an explosion of cases in the local community:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/u...gtype=Homepage
Old 03-31-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Yes. I did. His company is making masks. But it was an advertisement. Just make the freaking masks is most important. Dont make this thing a culture war.
First of all, thanks to the Mods for opening this up again. I think it's important.
--

With respect, I have a different take on this matter.

Of course it was advertisement – the usual political rally disguised as a ‘briefing’. No surprise there, but IMO not what we need in a time of unparalleled crisis in this country and indeed the world. If making the masks was really the most important thing (as, of course, it should be), then the Defense Protection Act should be invoked, or at minimum, firm negotiations should be undertaken with the existing leading respirator and surgical mask manufacturers (Honeywell, 3M, Kimberley-Clark, etc.), who are already tooled up.

This is a war. Why are we giving voice to the MyPillow guy who is peripheral, at best, in his ability to produce the quantities of PPE that we need? Answer: In this scenario, it’s about ratings, NOT the freaking masks being most important.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:41 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:

Fascinating views.
Another excellent excellent piece. So many good people emerged out of this crisis that we wouldn't have known. It's an hour long but well worth it, If this is the only thing you read or listen to about the pandemic today.
Pay attention to his ethics, charitable spirit, balanced treatment of the subject, what he's saying (we need more data!) and what he's NOT saying (you can break ranks, ignore public warnings, go out and play now).
Old 03-31-2020, 08:43 AM

Historical analogies are always imperfect and sometimes worse than that; they can sometimes obscure more than they reveal. But the past—along with most contemporary experts—seems to suggests that if we lift shelter-in-place and other restrictions too quickly, we'll see a second spike of cases.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...c-coronavirus/
Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 AM
Vendor

Anyone else frustrated that people on the Right keep calling it the Chinese or China Virus? Especially since it's leading to Asian Americans getting assaulted.
And then the defense is, well, it came from China. And they use the Spanish Flu as justification. YET!!! The 1918 flu pandemic didn't originate in Spain! I want a reporter to bring that up. It originated in Kansas! Those were the first reported cases, on a military base in Kansas. Throughline on NPR had a great piece on this. They named it the Spanish Flu cause the Spanish media was the only ones talking about it.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Anyone else frustrated that people on the Right keep calling it the Chinese or China Virus? Especially since it's leading to Asian Americans getting assaulted.
And then the defense is, well, it came from China. And they use the Spanish Flu as justification. YET!!! The 1918 flu pandemic didn't originate in Spain! I want a reporter to bring that up. It originated in Kansas! Those were the first reported cases, on a military base in Kansas. Throughline on NPR had a great piece on this. They named it the Spanish Flu cause the Spanish media was the only ones talking about it.
no but everyone was calling it that in the beginning including "people of the left" so why does it bother you now ?

----anyways we are going to get it closed again if we go back and forth, I just wanted to get my 2cents in.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I did not know this. And it proves your point. I thought the Spanish Flu came out of Spain because of the name. I guess the "Kansas Flu" didn't have enough pizazz. I'll bet most reporters don't know that, either.
But to answer your question, yes.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:01 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I did not know this. And it proves your point. I thought the Spanish Flu came out of Spain because of the name. I guess the "Kansas Flu" didn't have enough pizazz. I'll bet most reporters don't know that, either.
But to answer your question, yes.
I didn't know it either. But it's bugged me that certain people are pushing that China/Chinese Virus naming really hard. And of course Asian Americans are getting assaulted over it. Hate crimes against them has gone thru the roof. On March 14th in Texas, 3 family members including a 2yr old and 6yr old were stabbed in a Sam's Club over it. It's freaking disgusting.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
There not certain that the origin of the Spanish Flu was Kansas.
There is also theories that “The major UK troop staging and hospital camp in Étaples in France has been theorized by researchers as being at the center of the Spanish flu.”, as well as some other theories.

And please, “the right”, “certain people” — Anyone watching the daily White House briefings know that it’s President Trump

Last edited by Tony T; 03-31-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I didn't know it either. But it's bugged me that certain people are pushing that China/Chinese Virus naming really hard. And of course Asian Americans are getting assaulted over it. Hate crimes against them has gone thru the roof. On March 14th in Texas, 3 family members including a 2yr old and 6yr old were stabbed in a Sam's Club over it. It's freaking disgusting.
this guy : Jose Gomez : I'd like to put a face to the name other wise we end up with the assumption this is a right winger, trump supporting caucasian...ala George Zimmerman. There is just plenty of stupid to go around in the world
Closed Thread