Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 09:12 AM

OT: New modem lacks phone jack

I just upgraded my internet package through Cox and bought my own modem rather than renting one through them. Cox provides me with a landline phone service and internet, that's it. When I set up the new modem, I saw that there's no phone jack in it--just the coaxial cable in the back running to the modem, and an ethernet output that runs to the router (Apple Time Machine).

We've been talking about getting rid of the landline for ages but have kept it for one reason or another. Is there some kind of splitter I can get to run a separate cable to my landline? I take it this would have to be put in before the router. Or, is it simpler just to call the cable company and cancel the phone service? I have poked around on the web, and it seems like it's going to be a hassle, but thought I'd ask here since perhaps some forum members share my irrational devotion to the landline.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 AM

pretty sure you got the wrong one

when i had tv, phone, and net from Comcast, the modem that would handle all 3 services including phone was quite a bit more expensive than the one without phone.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:39 AM
Randomhead

you need a voip adapter. Or maybe more than one
Old 03-31-2020, 09:46 AM

If you want to keep your number, I'd recommend Ooma for VOIP. You buy an Ooma hub, which plugs into your network. It provides lots of options, including call blocking, call forwarding, multi-ring, voicemail delivered by email...

If you physically disconnect your phone service at the service block, you can then backfeed dialtone from the Ooma hub into any phone jack, and you can then use your existing landline phones with Ooma anywhere in the house. You could also plug a wireless phone hub into the Ooma hub and use wireless phones throughout the house...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 03-31-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:50 AM

error

made a mistake.

Last edited by eddief; 03-31-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:21 AM

I haven't bought a router in many years so not sure if they now integrate phone jacks.

My current setup has a Grandstream HT-812 VOIP adapter connected to one of the ports on my router.
My Panasonic corded phone is plugged into the HT-812. The Panasonic came with satellite cordless handsets that feed off the corded unit so it saves me from needing other jacks to plug into.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
made a mistake.
You're not the first.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-31-2020, 10:29 AM

I'm using an Obihai--branded Google Voice (but you don't have to use their service). Plugs into a port on the router, uses a local IP, and then runs your voice service. I've got the single port one, but they make others if you need a separate line for fax or multiple lines. It has the RJ45 connector for internet and then a POTS RJ11 to plug in your phone.

For a provider, I'm using Callcentric--$6.00/month--and I ported our former Verizon land line to their service. They are pretty no frills service, but cheap. So that gives you VOIP service at a fraction of the price that Verizon charges for a land line. We set this up when we went internet only--and we wanted to preserve the land line mainly for my wife's consulting business.

Did your new service include a landline service? If so, you probably just need the Obihai (or the OOMA one that C40 posted)--establish it on your network and set up for your number.

The slight complication--some of the ISPs add a layer of complexity so that the phone can be used in case of power outages (mine cannot be)--so check with your provider--or check on https://www.dslreports.com/forums/all in the right forum and ask your question there

Last edited by paredown; 03-31-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:35 AM

Like the others said, it sounds like you don't have a Voip modem. As mentioned, you can get a Voip adapter, such as an Ooma or a MagicJack, that you can plug your phone into. But these provide a different type of service than an ISP provided phone service.

When an ISP provides Landline telephone service, they have to abide by certain FCC requirements for phone service. This includes: No loss of phone service in case of a power outage; a minimum QoS (Quality of Service) for the Voip traffic. Although internet phone connections don't require much bandwidth, for audio quality, the do require that a certain amount of bandwidth is continously available, so the QoS can help with audio quality.

For these reasons, a void modem is actually contains two separate modems: A standard data modem; and a special Voip modem (with added features to guarantee service). Most Voip modems also include a battery backup, so that that the Voip modem portion continues to work during a power outage. And, for the additional guarantees of service and support of a separate modem, the ISP charges additional fees for landline telephone service.

A Voip adapter can be used on a standard data modem, but it uses a standard data connection, and it does not have the additional service guarantees of a Landline Voip modem. You don't have to sign up for or pay for the ISPs landline telephone service (although there may be a service fee from the VOid adapter provider).
Old 03-31-2020, 10:43 AM

So far I remember cox had his own modem with phone jacks included, I imagine since you have your own cable modem pretty much you scrwed yourself (dont want u to think im rude ok?)

It will sound rude but im just saying ok? what you should have done is to keep the phone number with the phone provider.. verizon? att? whaterver?... then have the TV and the internet with cox, just wonder if the suckers dont sell service w/o phone number included.

If cox is doing something different now a days I really do not know. Cable companies always find a way to get your money one way or another.

Got RR and Cox till verizon showed up and with RR and COX we always kept the phone service with the phone company which was verizon.

Now, I imagine you are saving some money having your own router, the issue now is that you have to go voip and pay for the service. How much is to rent cox router? do the numbers, u might be better using their stuff.

Second option, do as we did, if your number is from the phone company you can ask for other number back (if not given away already) and keep the regular phone service with the phone company. Or go VOIP as the other forumites says.

If you need a fax (in my home we do), you can go virtual fax number and that means a few extra bucks.

I would advice you to sit with a large piece of paper and start doing numbers, rent from them vs using your own modem, plus the cost of the extra serviced you need like the land line. Check if they can take the phone part off the contract.. see if the phone company still can give you a number at home.. etc etc... all the combinations of what you need and who's the provider of that you need and workarounds vs cost

Darn this was long.

Good luck in this one, not fun to deal with cable companies (did you see the south park episode about murders cable tv shows?)
Old 03-31-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
The slight complication--some of the ISPs add a layer of complexity so that the phone can be used in case of power outages (mine cannot be)--so check with your provider--or check on https://www.dslreports.com/forums/all in the right forum and ask your question there
We have two numbers on Ooma, a house phone and my office phone. Both are set up so that only known contacts get through. Everything else, that isn't marked as SPAM, goes right to voice mail. SPAM calls get continuous ring. On the house line, we get calls from our parents. Most others just call us on our cell phones.

So...if there's a power outage, we won't miss a lot of calls...and my office line is set up to multi-ring both my desk phone and my cell phone.

No real need to provide backup power for VOIP...which would then assume that enough of your home network (cable modem, router, hubs, WiFi points, etc) has backup power as well. Easier just to have the calls flip over to cellphones...

And I don't know if, or for how long, cable and fiber will continue to deliver IP services if the neighborhood/regional power is out.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 03-31-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
I would advice you to sit with a large piece of paper and start doing numbers, rent from them vs using your own modem, plus the cost of the extra serviced you need like the land line. Check if they can take the phone part off the contract.. see if the phone company still can give you a number at home.. etc etc... all the combinations of what you need and who's the provider of that you need and workarounds vs cost
If not renting the router from Cox makes me dumb, I'll happily be dumb and cancel the phone service for the landline that we hardly ever use except for talking to our parents who dislike talking on cell phones.

Sounds like there are a couple of other options, but we really pay too much for a landline that we use very little.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
We have two numbers on Ooma, a house phone and my office phone. Both are set up so that only known contacts get through. Everything else, that isn't marked as SPAM, goes right to voice mail. SPAM calls get continuous ring. On the house line, we get calls from our parents. Most others just call us on our cell phones.

So...if there's a power outage, we won't miss a lot of calls...and my office line is set up to multi-ring both my desk phone and my cell phone.

No real need to provide backup power for VOIP...which would then assume that enough of your home network (cable modem, router, hubs, WiFi points, etc) has backup power as well. Easier just to have the calls flip over to cellphones...
Ah, good tip--I can probably configure the Obi to do the same (and have it ring on my wife's cell). Thanks!
Old 03-31-2020, 01:19 PM
Forward the Foundation

Ye olde land line is self powered 48v, aka a POTS line.
There is a RJ-11 jack in some dark & dusty location usually with a orange tag,
saying Ma Bells writ stops here.
When your power has been out for a couple days, your phone still works.

Modems, batteries, things that require wall power,
are voip.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 PM

Thats the beauty of the regular phone lines but companies arent even repairing them anymore. Read stories about people in the country that got a line down and the phone company refuses to get it repaired because there's cell in the area. So they call the client to offer them pretty much a cell number.

With any other system the thing runs out of batteries or the batteries never work (thing that happens) is game over, no phone at home at all.