Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 10:39 PM

I was able to do a 71 mile solo ride Sunday afternoon. Saw a Good number of cyclists on the road but everyone was riding solo and keeping plenty of distance.

I had to visit my mechanic last week and he said he was exhausted and working late every night because of the volume of work. He owns an excellent repair-only shop and it's just him and a partner. Said he's never sold out of his supply of 24" and 26" tubes before last week. Sounds like lots of families are home from work and school and are pulling their bikes out of the garage. I think that's driving a bunch of new traffic on the paved trails around here.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbh View Post
I was able to do a 71 mile solo ride Sunday afternoon. Saw a Good number of cyclists on the road but everyone was riding solo and keeping plenty of distance.

I had to visit my mechanic last week and he said he was exhausted and working late every night because of the volume of work. He owns an excellent repair-only shop and it's just him and a partner. Said he's never sold out of his supply of 24" and 26" tubes before last week. Sounds like lots of families are home from work and school and are pulling their bikes out of the garage. I think that's driving a bunch of new traffic on the paved trails around here.
I'm seeing this in my neighborhood. Folks who you never see on a bike now riding with family.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:36 AM

Virginia's decree specifically mentions bicycling for exercise as a permitted reason to leave your home if safe distancing is practiced.

Hence my 35 mile ride yesterday on the Eddy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2759.jpg (132.2 KB, 202 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 01:48 PM

I did 3 hours on PCH last Sunday. While most riders were riding solo and staying a good distance from others, I did few riding side-by-side or in small group. I really wish they get pulled over by police for not following state's social distancing rule.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Virginia's decree specifically mentions bicycling for exercise as a permitted reason to leave your home if safe distancing is practiced.

Hence my 35 mile ride yesterday on the Eddy:
That mural is awesome....or is it considered graffiti....either way, it's amazing
Old 03-31-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

i'm in pretty abysmal cycling shape at the moment, and my plan is to hit April hard. Running and cycling.

I was hoping to do the same. WFH, I thought I might be able to get some regular rides (short but I'd work on intensity) but the markets are keeping me glued to my desk. Aggh!

Nice bike, though, Nick!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:39 PM

Still a bunch of snow and ice up north, so the fat bike was summoned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 02:48 PM

My buddy owns a shop and he said he is busier than ever. Most of it with small repairs and tune-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbh View Post
Old 03-31-2020, 02:50 PM

Shops in Michigan are closed. At least in my town.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:55 PM

You are the Man! It must be chilly riding along even if the air temp isn't bad, with air being cooled by the snow cover.

I finished March with a 21 miler today, 622 miles total. Only missed two days, hard rain. WFH means I ride any day I can, because I can ride and then get back to work and no one cares. Got on six of my bikes during the month too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post

Old 03-31-2020, 03:04 PM

You are the Man! It must be chilly riding along even if the air temp isn't bad, with air being cooled by the snow cover.

I finished March with a 21 miler today, 622 miles total. Only missed two days, hard rain. WFH means I ride any day I can, because I can ride and then get back to work and no one cares. Got on six of my bikes during the month too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post

Old 03-31-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post

Felt good to get out in no mans land and pedal for a few hours. I like the bike more every time I ride it and know that there will be few opportunities to get the fatty out soon.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 PM

Got in another 25 quick miles today, rather windy conditions. Plenty of others riding rural roads, but I notice deliberate social distoning.

Hope to ride again before snow hits again. 60s after that.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:02 PM

I found this video helpful, I like this guy and he's local to me (Bay Area- we're on shelter in place that is becoming increasingly restrictive as people ignore common sense), he's a rider and a Doctor, so he gets it on both sides

The gist- He's riding. Alone. Cautiously to avoid spills. Staying within 20mins of home. Not expecting any assistance for accidents or mechanicals beyond his wife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2FwqvBnONw
Old 04-02-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
I found this video helpful, I like this guy and he's local to me (Bay Area- we're on shelter in place that is becoming increasingly restrictive as people ignore common sense), he's a rider and a Doctor, so he gets it on both sides

The gist- He's riding. Alone. Cautiously to avoid spills. Staying within 20mins of home. Not expecting any assistance for accidents or mechanicals beyond his wife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2FwqvBnONw
I would add do not use anything that resembles a public bathroom or outhouse.
Go in the woods.. or hold it till you get home.