Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 12:46 PM

Thoughts on DT Swiss 370 Hubs?

Hey all, I'm working on building up an All City Mr. Pink. I found this wheelset on Velomine. I've had great experience with Velomine in the past, and on the surface level it appears to be a good deal on a wheelset. That being said, I can't find much info about the hubs online...

Does anyone have any thoughts on these hubs?

Also, if anyone else has any alternative recommendations for lightish, dependable alloy wheelsets, in the $300 - $500 dollar range, I'm all ears. Let me know what you have laying around in your garage or have seen online.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:13 PM

The 370's use a 3-pawl system rather than the star ratchet.

For light use, they are probably fine, if not a little slow engaging.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:18 PM

It's a 3 pawl version of a freehub vs their star ratchet system. I only have experience with star ratchets and love them. youtube review of 370 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpEr7bZmoZY
Old 03-30-2020, 01:27 PM

They are an embarrassment to the DT Swiss name.

If they said Formula or Novatec or anything else on them, they'd be fine entry level hubs.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:28 PM
Administrator

i hadnt heard of these.

i am confused.

why do they say thru axle? these are QR wheels?

Old 03-30-2020, 01:34 PM

Interesting about being a 3 pawl version, and I am also confused by the Thru Axle label, good eye. I think I'll be passing on these

The search continues...
Old 03-30-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post

If they said Formula or Novatec or anything else on them, they'd be fine entry level hubs.
Can you elaborate on why? If it's actually a poor-quality hub, then I can understand why you'd say that. However, you compared it to Novatec, and Novatec does make decent hubs. (not sure about Formula.)
Old 03-30-2020, 02:15 PM

I have a set of DT Swiss wheels that came on my Cutthroat with the 3 pawl hub. Not a fan of how it engages but plan on swapping out the free hub with a DT350 set up as soon as I buy the ring gear tool to swap it. I have a donor hub already so not a major expense to do.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Can you elaborate on why? If it's actually a poor-quality hub, then I can understand why you'd say that. However, you compared it to Novatec, and Novatec does make decent hubs. (not sure about Formula.)
The 370's are "fine". They aren't great. They are on par with Novatec/Formula. They aren't on par for DT Swiss. Decent quality, but not "oooohh ahhh DT Swiss" quality. If that makes sense.

FWIW, I've had great success with Novatec hubs, even Formula too. Perhaps I'm lucky?
Old 03-30-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post

Can't speak for the original poster, but I just serviced the freehub on my DT star ratchet hub yesterday (covid-19 is great for bike maintenance) and these are just so easy and not futzy to deal with vs. most pawl setups. Since DT is so strongly identified with star ratchet, the 370 is also just confusing.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones0014 View Post
Interesting about being a 3 pawl version, and I am also confused by the Thru Axle label, good eye. I think I'll be passing on these

The search continues...
DT hubs are modular, so you can change the end caps to make them 5mm, 12mm thru, etc.

Not on par with their ratchet systems, but I've used them on many bikes and they typically work just fine. You could certainly do worse.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i hadnt heard of these.

i am confused.

why do they say thru axle? these are QR wheels?

They are likely compatible but have QR fittings on that picture i would imagine.
Not all dt swiss hubs can accomodate all TA versions (at least not the older ones). But perhaps those labelled TA can do just that with the right fittings (guessing here).
Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post

Hardly..you know where the 370(and 350) hubs are assembled, yes? Pretty expensive for a kinda basic hub(no longer made, BTW), but hardly 'an embarrassment'. 180/240/350 a better design, no doubt but...
Old 03-31-2020, 09:44 AM
ferro verum est

An equivalent to these hubs are the standard for prebuilt DT Swiss alloy wheels, according to their manual. Only their carbon wheels get the star ratchet hubs.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:19 PM

No Problems

I have two wheelsets using DT Swiss hubs, one 350 and the other 370, no problems with the 370 hubs. They are still smooth rolling and no issues with the bearings. I am unsure regarding some of the ratchet/pawl concerns.