Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 04:46 PM
ZhugeLiang

OT: Need help troubleshooting garage door

I appreciate getting some help here with troubleshooting my Genie garage door opener.

When I activate using the remote, the door vibrates but stays down and won't go up. I can hear a roaring sound seemingly coming from the chain/trolly track as if it's slipping and won't stay engaged.

Any idea what's going on?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:54 PM

A common problem is a broken spring in the counter-balancer mechanism that causes overload on the opener. I don't know if you can see you chain moving. If you have old-timey exposed coil springs on both sides of your door it's obvious when one breaks.

You probably have adjustment screws on your opener mechanism. A couple of them will be to adjust the power to raise or lower the door. If more power is needed you might get all noise and no action when you try to raise the door.

If you pull the release handle can you raise/lower the door easily by hand or is it just dead weight?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:56 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
A common problem is a broken spring in the counter-balancer mechanism that causes overload on the opener. I don't know if you can see you chain moving. If you have old-timey exposed coil springs on both sides of your door it's obvious when one breaks.

You probably have adjustment screws on your opener mechanism. A couple of them will be to adjust the power to raise or lower the door. If more power is needed you might get all noise and no action when you try to raise the door.

If you pull the release handle can you raise/lower the door easily by hand or is it just dead weight?
thanks for chiming in Ken pal.

easy to raise by hand - torsion spring working fine.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:58 PM

Pull the cover. Suspect that either the drive gear is stripped or the shear pin that connects the gear to the shaft is broken. Mine did that.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:22 PM
ZhugeLiang

thank you glepore pal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF4j7553Uz4
Old 07-23-2019, 06:16 AM

Shortly after we bought our 40yr old house, I was having problems with the garage door. It seemed that the unit was tired and wasn't able to open the door and I replaced the unit. I still had the same problem, so I called a professional. He had to stretch the torsion spring. It was a simple procedure, but I wouldn't recommend it as a DYI.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:01 AM

I had a Chamberlain that would raise manually but the motor would not lift it. I bought a kit and replaced some gears and related hardware. The gear didn't look to be worn out but the new one worked. +-$30 easy repair
Old 07-23-2019, 10:08 AM

I had a similar problem a number of years ago with my Sears opener. A gear had stripped after years of use. I was able to order replacement parts and it took about an hour to pull things apart and fix it.

does your Genie have a chain or worm gear?

Last edited by parris; 07-23-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:37 AM

I am just waiting for my 2 existing chain driven GD openers to break to replace them with a direct shaft unit.
Already converted one when we bought the house to install a lift.
Day and night IMHO.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:16 PM
v a n i l l a

I have had to replace that screw drive carriage assembly a few times...they do wear out

https://store.geniecompany.com/produ...iABEgLQN_D_BwE
Old 07-23-2019, 08:12 PM
ZhugeLiang

Thanks everyone for your kind response.

I have ordered the screw drive carriage assembly from Amazon, should get here in a day or two with Prime. The youtube video looks pretty straightforward.

I called to cancel the appointment with a professional garage repairman yesterday. He quoted $135 over the phone.

The assembly costs $17 from Amazon. Shouldn't take more than 30 mins, probably less.