Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2022, 08:09 PM
Tired Member

More cyclocross --- warning spoilers!

UCI cyclocross worlds 2022 are this coming weekend.

I didn't watch the men's races this past weekend, but I did watch the women's races.

The only rider to beat Lucinda Brand in a half dozen races is Marianne Vos. Even then, it's only on relatively flat and fast courses.

The Hoogerheide race was an exceptional battle for the last two laps. Puck Pieterse burned a few matches to try to shake both of them. She burnt Lucinda Brand off the back but was towing a Vos, who looked comfortable. Then, as Puck was fading and Lucinda was coming back, Vos attacked and got 10 seconds. Neither Pieterse or Brand could come back. Vos won the race and was sucking air.

We'll see what happens next weekend on a fast course.

Pidcock should be the favorite for the men on a fast course, I think.

Edit: UCI link to the women's race https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUqe8Tz3Hb8

Last edited by tctyres; 01-24-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I am kinda thinking Toon Aerts or Laurens Sweeck

Will be a good race !
Old 01-24-2022, 10:52 PM
Tired Member

For sure... and I hate to say Iserbyt, but he's there too. It would be ironic for Sweeck to win given that he trash talked the US races earlier in the season.

The course doesn't favor Vantourenhout, but he will probably be there in about 5th or so.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:04 AM

Quote:

I didn't watch the men's races this past weekend, but I did watch the women's races.

The only rider to beat Lucinda Brand in a half dozen races is Marianne Vos. Even then, it's only on relatively flat and fast courses.

The Hoogerheide race was an exceptional battle for the last two laps. Puck Pieterse burned a few matches to try to shake both of them. She burnt Lucinda Brand off the back but was towing a Vos, who looked comfortable. Then, as Puck was fading and Lucinda was coming back, Vos attacked and got 10 seconds. Neither Pieterse or Brand could come back. Vos won the race and was sucking air.

Will the Worlds be a fast race, though? I went back and watched the World Cup race on the Worlds course and, with a bit of mud it didn't look at all that fast. What's the weather been in Fayetteville of late?
Old 01-25-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Thank you for that link! I was watching on YouTube Sunday but had to stop, ironically to race in a CX event, and later I couldn't get back to the UCI stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-25-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Will the Worlds be a fast race, though? I went back and watched the World Cup race on the Worlds course and, with a bit of mud it didn't look at all that fast. What's the weather been in Fayetteville of late?
Forecast is dry all week, and ~50 degrees at race time. I haven't been there but the pros all said that the course is super fast when dry. They had a couple days to train on it in the dry before the World Cup race there.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:35 PM
Tired Member

With worlds over, it looks like CX will wind down with the X2O Badkamers trophy, which is still tight among the regular 'crossers. My guess is that once that trophy is finished, everyone with a road contract will get to work for their other team.

The Saturday EthiasCross race looks like a regular one for the women and men. The notable absence is Betsema. I'm also guessing that Honsinger will not participate in the rest of this year's competitions given her upcoming race calendar with EF-Tibco.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:13 PM

far as I know, no North Americans are going back over for the remaining Ethias or x2o races.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:48 AM
Tired Member

Drones are now banned by the UCI, but this one following Lucinda Brand yesterday shows off her expertise on the course.

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/02/imme...banned-by-uci/

Tags
cyclocross, uci, worlds