Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2021, 05:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago52 View Post
Thanks. Heard such terrible things about Power-torque BBs and cranks. Will hold out for square taper as long as can (if I ever find one)...
Ya heard, eh? Well, here's a guy who has installed many and has one on his Merckx and Powertorque, altho not as user friendly as Ultratorque, works just fine, is long lasting and uses the much more common 7mm bearings instead of the 6mm bearings. And, before anybody says it, pullers are easy to find.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-28-2021 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
The nerve is right.

But in the era of compact and subcompact cranks, those lovely 2005 Record 53/39 cranksets just haven’t held their value like some of the other 10 spd components.
Actually, I find this part really interesting, and along the original theme of the thread.

It's not *every* 10s part. Only certain things are commanding the big money.

Big $:
Medium and long cage rear derailleurs
CT compact cranksets
Silver rear derailleurs and shifters
Triple stuff
Chainring bolts (???) and other small spares
Seatposts, Ti in particular

Small $:
Brake calipers
Aluminum cranksets
Non-compact cranksets
Front derailleurs

I've said it here before, but I'm probably stuck on 10s until I die. It refuses to wear out, and anything that does is commonly available, usually NOS. I've had shifters that looked completely broken, and then brought them back from the dead with simple fixes.

This reliability and fixability is the secret, I think. It allows you to keep old technology functioning as new. Of course, that function is the most important part of a bike. New stuff that isn't tuned might as well be garbage. But this 10s can always be fixed and kept in terrific working condition. It's just remarkable.

My main ride these days is a 585 with 2003 Record. The bike still feels fresh and fast, and it works as well (for me) as any modern bike could. I couldn't imagine riding 18 year old gear when I started cycling... but this 10s stuff somehow transcends, and it's better than I'll ever be.

***Caveat: want/need a bigger cassette than a 30.

Last edited by chismog; 11-27-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:42 PM

I keep reading this

And realize I have Camply silver Triples

Silver shifters / brakes

I suppose I need to post in the classified. I need cash more than I need a closet full of campy
Old 11-27-2021, 03:45 PM

power torque puller

OP, what puller do you use? Can us mortals use it? Can you reming me what a 10 speed Ergo rebuild is (old school shifters / non-gumby lots of clicks type)

Thanks DANA
Old 11-27-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
OP, what puller do you use? Can us mortals use it?

Thanks DANA
Here you go, a blast from the past… this worked very well, one could say almost easy… IIRC after failing miserably with the Park Tools bearing puller.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...5&postcount=15

BTW, I think I still have that extra Campy ‘button’ around.

Last edited by thwart; 11-27-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
OP, what puller do you use? Can us mortals use it? Can you reming me what a 10 speed Ergo rebuild is (old school shifters / non-gumby lots of clicks type)

Thanks DANA
I use the Park one for carbon cranks and use a little patch of leather to not tear up the aluminum crank.

$25 for a complete, front to back, take-apart, clean and lube plus parts..Shift springs are $7 per(2 of them), spring carrier('Ultra Fiber/Resin one)-$15..

I have all the small bits for older, 10s and newer 10/11s 'Gumby 'UltraShift' shifters...including bodies.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
Actually, I find this part really interesting, and along the original theme of the thread.

It's not *every* 10s part. Only certain things are commanding the big money.

Big $:
Medium and long cage rear derailleurs
CT compact cranksets
Silver rear derailleurs and shifters
Triple stuff
Chainring bolts (???) and other small spares
Seatposts, Ti in particular

Small $:
Brake calipers
Aluminum cranksets
Non-compact cranksets
Front derailleurs

I've said it here before, but I'm probably stuck on 10s until I die. It refuses to wear out, and anything that does is commonly available, usually NOS. I've had shifters that looked completely broken, and then brought them back from the dead with simple fixes.

This reliability and fixability is the secret, I think. It allows you to keep old technology functioning as new. Of course, that function is the most important part of a bike. New stuff that isn't tuned might as well be garbage. But this 10s can always be fixed and kept in terrific working condition. It's just remarkable.

My main ride these days is a 585 with 2003 Record. The bike still feels fresh and fast, and it works as well (for me) as any modern bike could. I couldn't imagine riding 18 year old gear when I started cycling... but this 10s stuff somehow transcends, and it's better than I'll ever be.

***Caveat: want/need a bigger cassette than a 30.
I would like to propose an edit. The clamp on front derailleurs don’t go for much, but the braze on models are both very rare and expensive. They may actually be the hardest component in the group to source in new or excellent condition.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I would like to propose an edit. The clamp on front derailleurs don’t go for much, but the braze on models are both very rare and expensive. They may actually be the hardest component in the group to source in new or excellent condition.

Then I will let you in on a little secret: any clamp body can be swapped out with another body, from the whole range. So if you can find any flavor record FD for reasonable $, even a Veloce braze body can be put on it to make it native braze (or whatever clamp size you needed). Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by chismog; 11-28-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
True, but it’s also much harder to find a 28.6mm clamp front derailleur. Ask me how I know…
Old 11-28-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
The nerve is right.

But in the era of compact and subcompact cranks, those lovely 2005 Record 53/39 cranksets just haven’t held their value like some of the other 10 spd components.
I guess. However, I've seen several on eBay for over $200, and they didn't come with the BB. Mine does!
Old 11-28-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonconnell View Post
True, but it’s also much harder to find a 28.6mm clamp front derailleur. Ask me how I know…
Okay, I will propose yet another edit…..The front derailleurs are hard to find in whatever configuration you need at a given time. Other configurations will be plentiful and cheap……
Old 11-28-2021, 02:44 PM

Loved reading this thread so far. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool campy guy and have their word mark tattoo to prove it. Been riding campy exclusively since 1985 but sadly skipped the 10s era. Jumped from 8s to 11, believe it or not.

I do shake my head at ppl with Di2 and even EPS. I mean, what's the point when 11s shifts lightning fast up and down, in/out of the saddle. Just brilliant kit!

Insofar as crackpipe pricing... check out a Campy CX11 crankset in 175. Insane pricing. Even new from Marinoni, they cost the same as a new Ekar 1X crank... which to me is just mind-boggling.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Bianchi View Post
Loved reading this thread so far. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool campy guy and have their word mark tattoo to prove it. Been riding campy exclusively since 1985 but sadly skipped the 10s era. Jumped from 8s to 11, believe it or not.

I do shake my head at ppl with Di2 and even EPS. I mean, what's the point when 11s shifts lightning fast up and down, in/out of the saddle. Just brilliant kit!

Insofar as crackpipe pricing... check out a Campy CX11 crankset in 175. Insane pricing. Even new from Marinoni, they cost the same as a new Ekar 1X crank... which to me is just mind-boggling.
Ya know what they say, w/o a pic it doesn't exist..lets see it..

Mine below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 cojhfjyfy.jpg (12.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 11-29-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ya know what they say, w/o a pic it doesn't exist..lets see it..

Mine below
Here ya go.. left forearm.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonconnell View Post
28.6 got dropped quite a while ago--maybe 2003?

I got a clutch of the last-gen 28.6 silver Records in a box of miscellaneous Campy stuff about the time that the prices were pretty low--and I sold them pretty cheap on eBay. At the time I thought this was a smart thing...