Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 AM

I'm really anxious to try the new finish line sealant that doesn't contain latex and doesn't dry out. Sounds like it'd be ideal for tubulars.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:26 AM

sealant? that would require flatting, which i choose not to do

Ill deal with sealant when it becomes a thing, until then ill keep riding with a huge smile.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
About 3 months, 1800 or so miles, tire not dead but certainly squared off. OS still sealed hole... topped off tire, rode home and changed tire.
Maybe sealant interacts differently with latex compared to rubber. Also, the lesser volume area of a road tubular as compared to the larger volume 2.3+ mtb tire.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:10 PM

I just bought a set of zipp404 tubular from a customer for $200. I'll rebuild them for my fixed gear. Will report back on this tubular experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Yes but I never rode in an era where anyone really cared about tubular wheels/tires out in the real world, point was people younger than me didn’t either.

The internet can be an influencer but it’s nothing compared to walking into a shop and seeing 100% clinchers and the same thing when you hit the group ride or the starting line.

Just giving you some old fashioned Paceline ribbing.

I don't know if the area that you ride in is hilly, but I converted to tubulars about five years ago primarily for safety reasons, as it's pretty easy to hit 40-45mph on some of the hills where I live. I feel a bit more secure about puncturing a front tire as I have had two friends go down hard with punctured clinchers and it wasn't pretty in either case.

In terms of ride quality, I can't say that I notice major differences between my two sets of tubular tires/wheels vs my one set of clincher tires/wheels, as they are all 32h rims laced to Campag Record hubs, and both bikes are steel frames.

I do have a favorite tire and those are Veloflex Vlaanderen, which measure out at 27mm at 80-85psi on a set of Nemesis rims. Try some if you have the chance.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Just giving you some old fashioned Paceline ribbing.

I don't know if the area that you ride in is hilly, but I converted to tubulars about five years ago primarily for safety reasons, as it's pretty easy to hit 40-45mph on some of the hills where I live. I feel a bit more secure about puncturing a front tire as I have had two friends go down hard with punctured clinchers and it wasn't pretty in either case.

In terms of ride quality, I can't say that I notice major differences between my two sets of tubular tires/wheels vs my one set of clincher tires/wheels, as they are all 32h rims laced to Campag Record hubs, and both bikes are steel frames.

I do have a favorite tire and those are Veloflex Vlaanderen, which measure out at 27mm at 80-85psi on a set of Nemesis rims. Try some if you have the chance.
By coincidence, just tested fitted them on my one Paramount.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Use sealant and take an extra spare if you are worried. If you seriously cut a clincher, I doubt anybody would have a tire.
I've ridden with some randonneur riders who carry spare clincher tires, although for most part clincher riders don't carry them.

On the other hand, clincher tires are easily booted, and many times clincher riders can continue riding even with large slashes in their tires.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I've ridden with some randonneur riders who carry spare clincher tires, although for most part clincher riders don't carry them.

On the other hand, clincher tires are easily booted, and many times clincher riders can continue riding even with large slashes in their tires.
When I'm touring or doing long rides in remote areas, I always carry a spare folded clincher.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
By coincidence, just tested fitted them on my one Paramount.

Now that is a great look!

Ability to ride a flat tire safely is part of my rationale for tubulars, in addition to better ride quality (IMHO) fewer flats (yeah, I probably shouldn't have written that), and just an overall good feeling about them. Carry a bottle of sealant as well as a spare so I'm confident I can be ready to ride home faster than I can change a clincher tbe roadside.

How bad is it that I have had some Vlaanderens hanging for almost a year now and can't decide if I should put them on my Nemesis (currently wearing 25mm Paves), Shamals (currently wearing 25mm Corsa Elites) or Bontrager D3 35s (currently wearing 25mm Corsa SCs)???

Of course, part of the challenge is I have one each of the Elites and SCs waiting as replacements...

Last edited by teleguy57; 03-05-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Everything is connected

teleguy...here are some Vlaanderen mounted on Nemesis rims...now save those Paves for a rainy day and join the crowd.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el chaba View Post
i use tubulars and campagnolo....
+1.....
Old 02-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Custom steel bike (with Campy) and new wheels were just assembled. Record hubs, H+ Son TB14 rims, Veloflex Master 25 tires. Older fellas hanging around the shop laid on the compliments, but said I should consider sew-ups. Uh, well, hey, I just had new clincher wheels built ten minutes ago, thank you very much!

I'm thinking about throwing in some latex tubes. Can someone with experience on a similar setup as mine and experience on good tubular wheels qualify the difference for me, please?--as if more could be said in this thread. I'm not opposed to trying tubulars in the future--it's not going to happen anytime soon. If the difference between my setup and tubulars is too small for even a custom grump like me to notice, I'll just wait until the rims wear out. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Well I can't speak to then but today I took off a set of old tubulars and tested fitted the new Veloflex ones with just my hands. Oh, and my right arm is in a sling due to a separated shoulder and the left thumb is splinted. Wasn't hard at all. I hear others saying the new stuff is so much easier.

Without regard to tires, more of this nifty frame would be welcomed.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grognaak View Post
Custom steel bike (with Campy) and new wheels were just assembled. Record hubs, H+ Son TB14 rims, Veloflex Master 25 tires. Older fellas hanging around the shop laid on the compliments, but said I should consider sew-ups. Uh, well, hey, I just had new clincher wheels built ten minutes ago, thank you very much!

I'm thinking about throwing in some latex tubes. Can someone with experience on a similar setup as mine and experience on good tubular wheels qualify the difference for me, please?--as if more could be said in this thread. I'm not opposed to trying tubulars in the future--it's not going to happen anytime soon. If the difference between my setup and tubulars is too small for even a custom grump like me to notice, I'll just wait until the rims wear out. Thanks.
Put latex tubes in there and report. 'Feel' is subjective, BUT there are other advantages to tubies besides 'feel'. They also corner very well since the sidewalls are supple, which, like a radial car tire, more tread stays on the road. PLUS 'some' wee weight savings PLUS..if glued on properly(no, not black or or weird science)..if ya flat, the tire won't come off rim, which is a real possibility with clinchers.

Throw in the lower pressure craze and no pinch flats..yes, tubies have real advantages.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:07 AM

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
+1.....
+2 ( Tubulars & Campagnolo )