Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM

No Hiding Place - David Walsh

An interesting read:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...ad23ea10f8b076
Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Very interesting. I've long thought that having a skeptical, imbedded journalist with unfettered access is the only way some people could even start to be convinced that a team is clean. Even then, there will be the old, salty types who've "been around" and "know better" and will never, ever be convinced. Cycling has a terrible history, but I remain optimistic that things can change.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM

That is a commendable offer. If team management is committed to real transparency and making doping as difficult as possible it would make a huge difference.

Doping is dependent on a whole infrastructure of enablers. First and foremost being team management and a UCI that create the conditions were it is easy to cheat for athletes, while they themselves have plausible deniability.

We don't want to know what you are doing, just don't get caught or we will have to act all shocked and outraged and proceed accordingly. We however have rigged the system so if you are careful you should not get caught so suck it up if we have to come down on you for screwing up and keep your mouth shut if you want a career.

Just because cycling is cycling I thought Sky was dirty in the Tour but I would be more then glad to be proved wrong. Walsh would be the guy I'd believe if he himself was convinced. I wouldn't care if they were dirty in the tour but where now committed to trying to get on board with moving beyond cycling's past with all that's happening now.

Hopefully in the future the management that can really guarantee a clean team will be the management that can attract sponsors. As a dirty UCI or other teams cheating would threaten their economic model this new model for managers could become real advocates for a draconian anti-doping system.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM

The shared article you were trying to view was free for a limited time only and has now expired.
Why not sign up to gain full access with packages starting from just £4 per week?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
The shared article you were trying to view was free for a limited time only and has now expired.
Why not sign up to gain full access with packages starting from just £4 per week?
$300/year....when I can get the National Enquirer for $100/year?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Definitely a positive signal from the team who are statistically most likely to be doping.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno-speedo View Post
That brings new meaning to getting WOOD!