Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 PM

Bilkenky's new lease on life

After some frame repair (a small dent, moving bottle bosses, adding some rack bosses to fork, and some fender mounts here and there), a new power coat plus clear paint over decals from Mark Rainey at Groody Brothers in Kansas City. May be polarizing for some but I love it. Idea came from a Gios on the Radavist awhile back.

This bike inspires me to want to ride. It's such a nicely built machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59094996159__60A5AAEB-0926-4EE2-853D-FBE6AFD1159D.jpg (104.9 KB, 794 views)
Old 10-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Administrator

ahh, very cool! i love it!

this is a really nice, versatile bike.

how fat of rubber can you fit in there? perfect travel bike IMO.

nice work breathing some new life into this one!
Old 10-17-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
ahh, very cool! i love it!

this is a really nice, versatile bike.

how fat of rubber can you fit in there? perfect travel bike IMO.

nice work breathing some new life into this one!
Thanks for the good word . For whatever dumb reason, I posted the bulk of the new pics to the original FS thread where this bike was sold by the original owner to stronzo, who sold it to me a year or so later. Scroll to the bottom of this https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173598 for more pictures. You'll also see the Gios that inspired this look.

To your question, while those are 27c Open Paves, I've ridden 35c Kenda Small Blocks, and I would gander it will take up to 40 smooth tires. I should actually measure.... But later this fall I'm going to put 35c-ish Paselas on.

Seriously, this bike is so, so versatile. I've taken it to Catalonia four times now (inlaws are there). Dirt road riding in L'Emporda, roads in the Penedes, actual singletrack and not that smooth up around Collserolla.... There's this one paved downhill from Vallvidrera to Sarria (in Barcelona) where I've scared myself. It's super windy, and this bike just wants to go. Stable as hell.

Last edited by VoyTirando; 10-17-2019 at 05:48 PM. Reason: more info:)
Old 10-18-2019, 05:35 AM

I love what you've done with the colour and also the new braze ons.
Opens up a whole new range of bike set ups including mudguards and a variety of front racks (Specialized pizza rack painted yellow??)
Marvellous
Old 10-18-2019, 07:05 AM
Everything is connected

From what I recall, Houston and that bike have ridden the Paris-Roubaix Challenge event and it might have had some Bud Clamato spilled on the frame.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileystylee View Post
I love what you've done with the colour and also the new braze ons.
Opens up a whole new range of bike set ups including mudguards and a variety of front racks (Specialized pizza rack painted yellow??)
Marvellous
Many thanks! That's what I was hoping for. What with fenders/mudguards plus the very tough powdercoat (I know, people including me have negative feelings on that), plus Mark frame-savered the insides, this bike can be taken out in the wet with less worry. Which means... more riding!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
From what I recall, Houston and that bike have ridden the Paris-Roubaix Challenge event and it might have had some Bud Clamato spilled on the frame.
Bud Clamato could be used to clean carburetors, yes? Maybe that's where the paint went to... Srsly it's great to know it's history.

Houston shared some dire details about the process of getting it built (not a positive experience). My own research shows the seattube at least is not what Houston paid for (Spirit for lugs, which has 27.2 innards; this is a 27.0), and when the painter chemically stripped the bike he found the fork crown was a vintage Miele, mos def not what Houston paid for. All said, though, it rides like a son of a gun.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyTirando View Post
This bike inspires me to want to ride.
The only thing that really matters.

Bravo on the lovely new iteration. I'm a big fan.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Many thanks! That's what I was hoping for. What with fenders/mudguards plus the very tough powdercoat (I know, people including me have negative feelings on that), plus Mark frame-savered the insides, this bike can be taken out in the wet with less worry. Which means... more riding!!!

Bud Clamato could be used to clean carburetors, yes? Maybe that's where the paint went to... Srsly it's great to know it's history.

Houston shared some dire details about the process of getting it built (not a positive experience). My own research shows the seattube at least is not what Houston paid for (Spirit for lugs, which has 27.2 innards; this is a 27.0), and when the painter chemically stripped the bike he found the fork crown was a vintage Miele, mos def not what Houston paid for. All said, though, it rides like a son of a gun.
With this information, I can surely write in public what I suspected for a very long time.... that Bilenky swindled me.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Was the fork stainless steel? Bilenky told me it was too.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Was the fork stainless steel? Bilenky told me it was too.
Mos def not stainless. Paint had chipped off that as well before I sent it for hte paint/powder, and underneath was plain old steel, maybe PegoRitchie, but who knows?. Mark at Groody Bros. was great about his process (yes, I'm plugging him, as he's a gentleman as well as a craftsman). He emailed me photos of the fork crown as he stripped it, finding the panto'd Miele logo had been filled with Bondo. I was initially worried about adding the blade bosses for a potential rack, and Mark reassured me the fork is bomber.

I'm so sorry about your process with this bike. It's a shame.

Last edited by VoyTirando; 10-21-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Mos def not stainless. Paint had chipped off that as well before I sent it for hte paint/powder, and underneath was plain old steel, maybe PegoRitchie, but who knows?. Mark at Groody Bros. was great about his process (yes, I'm plugging him, as he's a gentleman as well as a craftsman). He emailed me photos of the fork crown as he stripped it, finding the panto'd Miele logo had been filled with Bondo. I was initially worried about adding the blade bosses for a potential rack, and Mark reassured me the fork is bomber.

I'm so sorry about your process with this bike. It's a shame.
Wow, thanks for the info... Buyer beware. Here is the invoice that Bilenky sent me. Clearly lists Spirit tubes and a stainless fork.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:19 AM
what's a little rust?

Somewhere, a 953 fork has Miele logos ... pantographed in bondo
Old 10-23-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Somewhere, a 953 fork has Miele logos ... pantographed in bondo
I much rather have a Miele coffee maker.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:13 AM

And Here's a picture of the crown as stripped and revealed

yeah, it was head- scratcher for sure. In the picture, attached, the bondo hasn't yet been removed from the logo. Mark kept emailing me with rando questions and comments as he removed paint: "Hm,, seems this fork might not originally have gone with this bike?" "Hmm this fork seems to have come from another country....." Etc. With the repaint, I opted to leave the Miele logo revealed. Something more honest about it.

@JoostX, that is a crappy, crappy scenario. I'd heard other rumors about that guy but wow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miele crown.jpg (24.6 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by VoyTirando; 10-25-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:29 AM
dopers suck

Quote:
yeah, it was head- scratcher for sure. In the picture, attached, the bondo hasn't yet been removed from the logo. Mark kept emailing me with rando questions and comments as he removed paint: "Hm,, seems this fork might not originally have gone with this bike?" "Hmm this fork seems to have come from another country....." Etc. With the repaint, I opted to leave the Miele logo revealed. Something more honest about it.

@JoostX, that is a crappy, crappy scenario. I'd heard other rumors about that guy but wow.
This is obviously questionable but might it be possible that he used old excess stock of Miele fork crowns? Looks like Miele went bankrupt in the 90s so Bilenky may have bought the supply.