Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 AM

I commute to work by bike 3.5 times a week on average and I am huge sissy when it comes to backpack weight. I switched from a messenger bag to a backpack because I found the messenger back hurt more and also just wasn't as comfortable. I found myself adjusting the messenger bag a lot during my rides which was very frustrating.

Ultimately I've moved to biking to work without anything on my back. On Monday I drive to work and bring with me my change of clothes and lunches for each day that I plan on biking in. If you are required to bring a laptop home with you then of course this is all for not.

Edit: Just realized I bumped this super old thread. apologies
Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Since this has been revived, let me say that I did in fact purchase the Kelty Bender. I have little else to compare it to, bar my now-retired, baggy backpack...but it does make my commute painless so I'm not complaining. I don't see myself going the pannier/rack route anytime soon, so this bag is doing its job by me for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrispl View Post
I commute to work by bike 3.5 times a week on average and I am huge sissy when it comes to backpack weight. I switched from a messenger bag to a backpack because I found the messenger back hurt more and also just wasn't as comfortable. I found myself adjusting the messenger bag a lot during my rides which was very frustrating.

Ultimately I've moved to biking to work without anything on my back. On Monday I drive to work and bring with me my change of clothes and lunches for each day that I plan on biking in. If you are required to bring a laptop home with you then of course this is all for not.

Edit: Just realized I bumped this super old thread. apologies
Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 PM
slower than you

Well, I'll just chime in on this bumped thread.

I commuted twenty miles into NYC for a few years in the late ninties (train back home), and bought a Patagonia Critical Mass messenger bag, thinking, hey, if it's good enough for the pros (bicycle messenger), than it must be OK, right? Wrong. Those guys don't do long distance, and rarely as much weight. Swore off messenger bags after that. Basically, it twists the upper body with that diagonal position, and kills the back. And, yes, it almost always required adjustment, no matter how well you started with the straps and stuff inside positioned just so. Switched to a Vaude backpack, and experienced much relief.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Backpack
Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Osprey momentum backpack. Been using the 26 liter to commute 15 miles each way and works great.

http://www.vicfryzel.com/2012/02/27/...um-34-backpack
Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 PM

Good back pack beats good messenger bag for most commuters
IMHO
Cheers
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 AM

If you only have road bikes, you can probably try the axiom streamliner rack. It mounts onto the brake bridge and the axles of the wheels.

Works pretty well and not too expensive
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Osprey

I'll second the recommendation for Osprey backpacks. I use the Radial 26. Even in an Arizona summer it doesn't too hot or sweaty.

Reviewed here:

http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/...radial-34-pack

I use the 26 liter version. Its more than enough for my to commute with work clothes, breakfast and lunch, extra cycling clothes, (in AZ you need to cover temps from the 30s to the 70s for the rides too and from work so I always need to carry extra clothes that I wear when I ride in the morning,) locks, lights, etc.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 AM

I love Ortlieb's backpack, which I've had for over 10+ years.

It's padded, waterproof, rugged and you can configure the waist and chest straps so that it evenly distributes weight on your back (not too low, I found, is optimal.) My husband and I bike-camped/credit carded our way from SF to Ventura on our CX bikes one year, and we both wore our Ortliebs and had one rear rack to carry our gear. It wasn't optimal, but it would have been the only backpack I would have chosen to do the job!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM

I only use a messenger bag because 3000+ cu in backpacks don't pack down right when empty.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattyjo View Post
I love Ortlieb's backpack, which I've had for over 10+ years.

It's padded, waterproof, rugged and you can configure the waist and chest straps so that it evenly distributes weight on your back (not too low, I found, is optimal.) My husband and I bike-camped/credit carded our way from SF to Ventura on our CX bikes one year, and we both wore our Ortliebs and had one rear rack to carry our gear. It wasn't optimal, but it would have been the only backpack I would have chosen to do the job!

I also recently went back to my Ortlieb Velocity after trying out a Mission Workshop messenger bag. The Mission Workshop is a well-made, nice-looking bag, and I liked having the additional pockets, but in the end I am more comfortable with a backpack than a messenger bag when carrying a laptop on my commute (8+ miles each way, plus a train ride in the middle). The train ride in the middle is why I stopped using panniers. It's kind of a hassle to be removing bags, putting the bike on the rack, etc.

The only downside for me with the Ortlieb is the lack of outside pockets.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:02 PM

Anyone with experience with Mission Workshop backpack? Are the bags sturdy with the shoulder straps without the waist harness?

Interested in the Sanction vs the Rapha. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Seems like mad coin for both, and I can't vouch for the Rapha in terms of what matters to me lots (weatherproofness and sturdiness of the suspension system), but the MissionWorkshop bags are top notch for both.

I've been on the hunt for a Rambler ever since I got one at a steal and then sold it again as I didn't need it as much as I needed the cash. Dumb move; haven't found another one since and could really use one as my Chrome Ranchero is significantly worn. The Rambler's major selling point, for me, is its suspension system. The MOST comfortable backpad and strap system EVER, rivalled only by Arcteryx internal frame packs I used a bit in the early 2000's. The Mission straps cinch perfectly (my Chrome straps slide annoyingly all the time) and sit perfectly on the shoulder. The back pad breathes more than anything. And I think there's a carbon stiffening panel inside the bag that helps protect your back and your contents from each other, and the contents from the ground. All around awesomeness. The fabric can't be beat for out and out waterproofness. So many details addressed so very well. The Rapha bag looks really nice, but I have no personal experience with it in any kind of weather or actual load-bearing on a bike.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencyclist View Post
Anyone with experience with Mission Workshop backpack? Are the bags sturdy with the shoulder straps without the waist harness?

Interested in the Sanction vs the Rapha. Thanks.
I use a Mission Vandal and never bought the waist harness. I've weighed it after riding home with groceries and I've crammed it to at least 35 pounds without needing the waist harness. I think it's a top-notch bag but I suspect they are like saddles and different feels are for different folks.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 PM

In my experience, sternum straps are much more important than waist straps while riding (unless you're bouncing around for some reason, e.g. getting rad). I use a Chrome backpack for grocery loads and have even used it on a hundred-mile trip without issue — save for a little sweat buildup. A Mission Workshop bag will serve you very well.