Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I picked up a pair of Specialized Defroster shoes on end-of-season closeout a few years back. They are very well insulated and waterproof. In fact, I don't wear them unless the temperature is below 40F because they are too warm. I've ridden 3+ hours with temps in the 20s and stayed warm the whole time. I prefer them to booties for both warmth and comfort (less bulk, easier to put on/off).

Greg
+1 on the DeFrosters. I bought these 2 yrs ago and they were much improved over the older models. Having had the heavy Lake shoes, I prefer these as they are not clunky and very warm, plus super easy to put on and get tight with the Boa closure.

You need to assess how easily do your feet get cold. Some folks feel their feet freezing as soon as it drops below 50F while others can wear regular cycling shoes at much lower temps.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
To the OP...

One last thing...
NAILED it. exactly how I approach things, right down to the Giro lace up shoes.

I've tried winter shoes before but hate the pedaling with boots feeling. what 11.4 describes works great for me. I don't ride much when it's below freezing (used to, but a very serious incident/near-accident with black ice made me change my approach) and I don't really have any issues with my feet with this approach.