Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 02:40 AM

To Di2 or Not to Di2? That is the question.

Currently running Ultegra 6800 with a DA 9000 crank and thinking about upgrading to Di2.

I'd likely pick up a used DA 9000 upgrade kit, but was wondering from others who've gone this route... is it worth it? Or, is there better use of the cash?

I ride 250 to 300 Ks a week of mostly commuting and I don't race. I'm more than happy with my current wheel set (Fulcrum Racing Zero) for my purposes, so not really inclined to use the money for a new set.

I've never tried Di2 and my current setup shifts flawlessly, but what actually intrigues me more than anything is Synchro shift. I really hate having to look down at my rear derailleur to ensure that I'm not cross chaining. I just find it a bit dangerous. So the auto shifting sounds great.

So, what say you Paceliners?
Old 09-09-2017, 05:07 AM

Will it make you faster? No.
Will you ever go back to mechanical? No.

I switched to triathlon a few years ago, so I never got around to changing my road bike to di2, but I did upgrade my tt bike to Ultegra di2, and I love it. No cables to install or go out of tune, perfect shifts every time, auto trimming front derailleur..

Just do it.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:27 AM

You may well find that Syncro shift is not as great as you think it will be but it won't matter because you will love DI2.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
You may well find that Syncro shift is not as great as you think it will be but it won't matter because you will love DI2.
Agree. I haven't tried it myself, but reading about it, I wasn't too interested. That said, I believe you can turn the syncro shift off.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:32 AM
powered by red

I started with one bike with electric shifting. Now all 4 of my bike have electric shifting. It is that good.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:39 AM

Fan as well, albeit I have bikes w/o di2 and still enjoy them. You can indeed turn synchronized shifting off if it isn't your bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-09-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Agree. I haven't tried it myself, but reading about it, I wasn't too interested. That said, I believe you can turn the syncro shift off.
Yup, it can be easily disabled. The multi-shift is a nice feature but syncro shift lasted all of three miles on my bike before I switched it off.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Well, if I don't like Syncro shift, I guess I can always set up a field on my Garmin 1000 to display what gear I'm in. That would also be miles better than having to look down and back at my rear derailleur.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
Currently running Ultegra 6800 with a DA 9000 crank and thinking about upgrading to Di2.

I'd likely pick up a used DA 9000 upgrade kit, but was wondering from others who've gone this route... is it worth it? Or, is there better use of the cash?

I ride 250 to 300 Ks a week of mostly commuting and I don't race. I'm more than happy with my current wheel set (Fulcrum Racing Zero) for my purposes, so not really inclined to use the money for a new set.

I've never tried Di2 and my current setup shifts flawlessly, but what actually intrigues me more than anything is Synchro shift. I really hate having to look down at my rear derailleur to ensure that I'm not cross chaining. I just find it a bit dangerous. So the auto shifting sounds great.

So, what say you Paceliners?
Electronic shifting is really keen, but modern mechanical is too. 'Worth' is a big word...I'd say try to ride a bike with it, try it with thick gloves as well.

It IS nice to never have to ever change inner wires and shift housing, ever again(particularly if internal). It is nice that once adjusted, it never needs any tweeks. BUT can be vexing if some component or connector fails(altho diagnostics will tell you where the issue is, and very rare).
Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Just bought a used Emonda on ebay with di2.....it is that good. Never fidgeting with front der positioning now is pretty great, rear shifting is spot on.

Is it worth it, yes. I don't want to ride my other bikes that are not di2 equipped.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:19 AM

Current ride is 6770 and I have been pleased with it. Biggest gripes arethe weight and that I have not taken the time to sort a battery solution to free up my second bottle cage mount.

Been looking at putting together something with mechanical and all these comments of 'I would never turn back' have me second guessing myself...

Last edited by Zee; 09-09-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Barely Hanging On

Some people really love, but for others the reaction is MEH. If you can borrow a bike with it before spending the money, that could help you decide. I initially ended up with it since there was a used bike I REALLY wanted that was Di2 only. Although the modern mechanical is great, I still find myself preferring Di2 and doubt I'll get any "new" bikes that are mechanical since I don't need them anyway.

My own sense is that most people who've used Di2 for a bit end up preferring it and I'm one of them. People who don't have it are otherwise enjoying completely satisfactory lives and I'm sure their joy in life is in no way less due to have push buttons and paddles a little more.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Current ride is 6770 and I have been pleased with it. Biggest gripes arethe weight and that I have not taken the time to sort a battery solution to free up my second bottle cage mount.

Been looking at putting together something with mechanical and all these comments of 'I would never turn back' have been second guessing myself...
I have been on DI2 since I first got a hold of some 7970 DI2 components back in June 2009. I will NEVER go back to mechanical. DI2 has been rock solid and has performed flawlessly.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Love Di2.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
Some people really love, but for others the reaction is MEH. If you can borrow a bike with it before spending the money, that could help you decide. I initially ended up with it since there was a used bike I REALLY wanted that was Di2 only. Although the modern mechanical is great, I still find myself preferring Di2 and doubt I'll get any "new" bikes that are mechanical since I don't need them anyway.
Try before you buy.

One consideration: the motors aren't silent. Be prepared for possible annoyance there. Of course, many couldn't care less...