Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2017, 12:33 PM

A few considerations for buying:
- if you buy used, be careful to check if all the recalls have been addressed (e.g. Takata airbags). Some brands/models (Jeep, Infiniti) have had more recalls than others.
- small SUVs like the Rav4 have the smaller Class I/II hitch, rather than the 2" Class 3 hitch which is preferable if carrying more than two bikes.

From your choices, I would rule out the BMW X3 -- too small (cargo wise) and expensive (nickel and dime every option).

We have a 2014 Outback and it would fit your needs, but you'd need an aftermarket hitch for Class 3. Good car, very roomy inside and newer models have a quieter interior.

I owned a Highlander and replace it and our Sienna with a 2015 Ford Explorer. It was my first domestic vehicle ever (owned Saabs, Mazda, VW, Honda and other Toyotas) and really liked it. Very roomy inside, luxury quiet and lots of cargo space for four adults plus overnight bags and outdoor equipment. The hitch is also Class 3, which I used my Thule T2 rack. Also, the Ford technology Sync 3 is much better than Toyota and Honda's (if you read those forums, the tech is frequent complaint).

If you want slightly smaller, the Ford Edge is also a good choice. And both the Explorer and Edge have Sport models that really do have extra performance.

Oh, since you like heated seats, definitely get the heated steering wheel. Believe me, living in the Northeast, it is something I would require on any future buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 12:35 PM
Older Than You

Toyota Highlander. Don't bother with any extended warranty. You'll be wasting money.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Give up on "fun to drive" and keep driving your Odyssey. The mileage is easily offset by the lack of spending money to buy a new car.
better option, keep the odyssey and also buy a well used M3 if you want a "fun to drive" car.

to be fair - the OP is obviously not placing any real emphasis on the "fun to drive" factor if his leading choice of car is toyota highlander. a highlander MAY be marginally more engaging to pilot than an odyssey, but i would never classify a FWD based SUV on stock suspension as "fun to drive".
Old 05-31-2017, 01:23 PM

Subaru XV Crosstrek? I only suggest it because I really want one...
Old 05-31-2017, 01:27 PM
aka RAEKWON

I dunno, sounds like you would be happy with a wagon.

I just bought myself a 2017 VW sportswagen. 4 motion. manual transmission.

pretty fun to drive but still has all the cargo space of an SUV.

I know people in the US don't like wagons for some reason which is silly. I can't wait to get mine, in a couple of weeks
Old 05-31-2017, 01:27 PM

As boring and pedestrian as it is the lowly mini-van is the best vehicle to own as a cyclist.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Over the years, I have found Paceliners to provide sound advice and great recommendations on things way beyond just cycling. So hoping to tap into that great wisdom for some advice on what car to buy.

Looking to buy either new, or newly used. I have been a fan of buying cars around 2 years old or newer and less than 20k.

Needs aren't extensive:
Haul 4 adults, gear, and hitch rack for 4 bikes.
Budget isn't unlimited, but this will probably be the most expensive car I have ever bought.

Wants get a little longer:
Some moderate level of comfort/dipping a toe into luxury. I have found I like heated leather seats, for example. I don't need the latest driver assist do-dads though.
Decent gas mileage is a plus
Reliability - usually hold on to a car for 10 years or so.
Fun to drive. The more it handles like a car the better.

Cars I am interested in:
Toyota Highlander
BMW X3
Mazda CX-9

Cars on my long list, but don't make the top include:
Subaru Outback
2017 Honda CRV - These two fit all criteria, but seem too pedestrian. Vanity sucks
Honda Pilot - just don't love the styling

What am I missing, what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
2018Volvo XC60
Old 05-31-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Toyota Highlander. Don't bother with any extended warranty. You'll be wasting money.
Hes right. I worked for Toyota and drove their vehicles.

Last edited by soulspinner; 05-31-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:57 PM

To me, it sounds like you want something bigger than a wagon. I don't have any advice (I happily drive a 2015 Forester) but when i bought my car a couple of years ago and crunched the numbers, I couldn't figure out why anyone buys 'slightly used' cars... Plenty of people say never buy new, but when factoring in warranties, financing, price, etc., cars with 30k miles and under seemed like a rip-off... but maybe it's a regional thing.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post

Honestly if you're getting a hitch rack, you should 100% get a manual wagon. Don't get an SUV.
This is an exceedingly narrow field. For new, I can identify the VW Golf wagon and a Mini, if those count as wagons. What else? Not Volvo. Not Audi. Not sure about BMW.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

You need a 505 hp SUV - get the Alfa Stelvio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQiMQenrzzY

Old 05-31-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
This is an exceedingly narrow field. For new, I can identify the VW Golf wagon and a Mini, if those count as wagons. What else? Not Volvo. Not Audi. Not sure about BMW.
I should have said hatch/wagon, plenty of 3 or 5 doors around. 4 people fit in the GTI for example.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:01 PM

Man, that Alfa Stelvio a couple posts up sure is pretty...

I'm looking in the same general size range as you, but probably a little lower market ($30k max, probably closer to $25). I'm coming from a 2008 Impreza wagon, and really love the fun-to-drive aspect of a sporty wagon, but definitely want more space.

My wife has a BMW X1. I think the X3 is roughly the same size, just a bit taller, maybe a smidge longer, and would likely be too small for your needs. 4 adults with gear is going to be a stretch.

I'm guessing the mid-size car-based SUV is going to fit the bell the best. I'm sure the Highlander is nice, but would lean toward the CX-9 off your list. Seems to be the best bang for the buck, and you can option it to be pretty darn nice.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
To me, it sounds like you want something bigger than a wagon. I don't have any advice (I happily drive a 2015 Forester) but when i bought my car a couple of years ago and crunched the numbers, I couldn't figure out why anyone buys 'slightly used' cars... Plenty of people say never buy new, but when factoring in warranties, financing, price, etc., cars with 30k miles and under seemed like a rip-off... but maybe it's a regional thing.
I do not buy new and in fact drive a 2013 Forrester that I bought in 2015.

I am not sure the numbers you are crunching resonate the same for all people with this approach. Some of the factors you state, will not resonate for all:

Warranty - 36K miles on the Forrester. Sure nice to have but I place little to no value on this as I expect my car to work for the first 36K mile. In this case it has. There was not value to the warranty for me even though I did have one.

Finance - Many people who operate on this model pay cash. OP may or may not but it is not uncommon for those with this approach.

We all have to find the approach that suits our risk profile and means and for me, gently used will work just fine and does save me money.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:27 PM

The Toyota Highlander is a good recommendation, and the Odyssey is a very good van (you already know this). Keep in mind that Honda revises the Odyssey next year (2018) and rumors are that all seats will be store in the floor much like the current Pacifica. So if you are not in a hurry and like your existing Odyssey, you might want to consider it. I also really like the Pilot. Its seats also fold such that the entire rear floor is flat. It has a really good engine, and can handle most any terrain. I recommend that you go look at the practicality and disregard fashion. If you're buying a vehicle for fashion then you're wasting your money.