Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
Check the UV Index, when it goes above 6 start covering up.
Cyclist, Runners and people that spend a lot of time outside should check a yearly check up by a Dermatologist.
Don't wait until they have to carve up a piece of your arm.
11am to 2pm are really bad to be outside.
This is the kind of response that is helpful. What does the research and science say? The UV reference is definitely a good starting point.

And a follow-up question that only C40G seemed to address: shouldn’t you also be wearing a full-length bib as well? Is it just assumed that the lower body is more impervious to the harmful effects of the sun? (Keeping in mind that we all need a certain amount of Vitamin D).

Last edited by XXtwindad; 06-18-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:35 AM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Those lulu shirts are the best I have found at dissipating sweat. Durable as heck too. I drank the lulu kool-aid back in hot yoga days. Good kit.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:51 AM

I appreciate this thread, because I never even heard of sun sleeves.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:52 AM
Rockstruck

Another reason…

I’ll be wearing long sleeve in summer: I took a tumble on the trail on Tuesday and hit poison ivy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9B815E9D-CA2D-4FA9-99B1-30ECAA0A8B93.jpg (67.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 06-18-2021, 08:53 AM

Besides the Lululemon Joostx posted, please recommend other long sleeve summer cycling jerseys.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:09 AM
Administrator

LS rashguards and summer weight jersys: I use them on and off the bike, much more preferable to me then constantly slathering chemical goop all over my body. Work just as well and have had no issues when hot. Actually most of the time I end up feeling a little cooler since my skin isn't the surface baking. So in my experience they serve a good purpose.

On covering up...

A while back I was at the clinic to see my Dr., jumped on the elevator to ride up to the doc's office and the elevator stopped at the second floor. An elderly gentleman got on and then looked up at me and commented on my hat. "Never could wear a hat...wish I had". Then he shows me the big scab/lesion on top of his head and starts telling me all about it. I felt bad but it was a good reminder to keep yourself covered up as much as possible.

It boils down to personal choice as to whether you want to use goop or cover with clothing...or not cover up at all.

W.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:18 AM

Lots of good questions and responses here. My n=1 is that after having my dematologist carve a few abnormal but not cancerous chunks out of my arms and face I'm not out on the bike without LS unless it's later evening. I have some sleeves that I can wear with SS jerseys, but it's much more convenient to go with one item rather than three. Actually thought about picking up a few more inexpensive sleeves and having them sewn to a few SS jerseys.

My go-to is Boure, made in the US by Voler for the past several years, so I'm thinking the Voler LS will be the same quality and fit. I go for classic and hi vis:

I've done the temp comparison, and when moving the LS is no hotter than no covers and sunscreen.

Probably not logical, but I prefer to ride gloveless so slather on sunscreen on the backs of my hands, and well as neck, face, ears (don't forget them) and neck. Also hit my quads below the shorts grippers and the back of my calves. (I probably should try some sun leg covers but just haven't pulled the trigger.) And always a cap/headsweats etc. My go to is the Giro (link helps a forum sponsor) because I like a small brim rather than just a skull cap.

Of course, we could easily morph into the baselayer or no discussion but fortunately there are other threads for that

Last edited by teleguy57; 06-18-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:26 AM

Well, if you want a long-sleeve jersey for warmer conditions, here’s what Rapha offers: https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/m...uct/TTQ01XXMFA.

That appears to be it. Point being is that many clothing brands seem to be behind the curve, so to speak. This thread certainly has broadened my perspective, at the very least.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
I’ll be wearing long sleeve in summer: I took a tumble on the trail on Tuesday and hit poison ivy.
Ouch. That's not gonna buff out.

When I get poison ivy, I get it bad. If I think I made contact I rinse with isopropyl alcohol a few times, which seems to kill 99% of it before it starts to blister.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:40 AM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Besides the Lululemon Joostx posted, please recommend other long sleeve summer cycling jerseys.
Just got rolling with this—nicely done—lightweight, triple pockets, not expensive

https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1010H30
Old 06-18-2021, 10:05 AM

Last edited by lorenbike; 10-19-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:13 AM

The thing about your arms is that when riding they are just laid out flat to the sun and get toasted. Legs not so much. The skin on my forearms is just wrecked. The skin is damaged and there is no repair. Beside looking bad, I bruise and bleed easily. I wish I had covered up better. I now always wear long sleeves or sunblock when spending much time outdoors. Mostly long sleeves for all the reasons given by others. I don’t need it to get worse. The half dozen little places I had frozen off my face and ears a few months ago have healed nicely, but I’m on a twice yearly schedule with the dermatologist now. No current problems, but need to be watched.

You might look like a cool bike racer with those dipped easter egg tan lines, but its not worth it.

And you don’t have to buy special miracle sun block fabric. Covered up with most anything is a huuuuge improvement over nothing. Or real good 50 plus sunblock works for a few hours.

Last edited by HenryA; 06-18-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I don't see what climate change has to do with this, plenty of people already live in really hot places. Clothing companies can do what they like I guess, in the end the demands of fashion will over rule practical issues like SPF.
Well some people believe the sun orbits around them.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Well some people believe the sun orbits around them.
Totally uncalled for. You are long past due for a “time-out.”
Old 06-18-2021, 10:22 AM

The ornot lightweight ls is incredibly popular - it is essentially a the house jersey with extended sleeves. It is a very versatile piece, I see some people rock it with a vest when it’s 50 out and others rock the lighter colored ones solo when it’s 85 out. The light, soft material feels good, even on a hot day...

I wore one of mine for a week straight in northern Norway one summer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk