Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2022, 09:58 AM

Lightweight e-bike

I'm thinking of making the transition soon (reluctantly).

I'd love the forum's thoughts on the "best" e-bike.

If I had my druthers, I'd modify my 585 just enough to give me extra wattage on climbs and the entire set-up would weigh 20lbs. That not being possible, what would come closest? Cannondale?
Old 10-03-2022, 10:15 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel23 View Post

If I had my druthers, I'd modify my 585 just enough to give me extra wattage on climbs and the entire set-up would weigh 20lbs. That not being possible, what would come closest? Cannondale?
A lot of the lightweight e-road bikes out there (ie Orbea Gain) use rear hub motors. Having tried these, I would avoid them at all costs myself - it gives the bike awkward front-to-rear weight balance, and generally they require the rear wheel to be bolted onto the frame, making rear tire changes awkward at best. The lightweight mid-drive systems like Fazua that are coming out now are a huge improvement over previous generation systems.

As you point out, 20 pounds just isn't happening - there's no way around the battery weight. Best you're going to get is in the 27 to 32 pound range.

Since you mentioned Look, they make a mid-drive e-road bike -https://www.jensonusa.com/Look-E-765-Optimum-Disc-105-E-Bike-2021

This one is on the heavier end - 31 pounds - but could probably come down a few pounds with lighter components.

Specialized Turbo Creo SL owns this mid-drive segment, and it's also on the lightweight end of the range - 27 pounds. Unusually for Spesh, it's also cheaper than the Look and some other options.

Last edited by EB; 10-03-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:19 AM
Whale of a

I am looking for the correct answer to this question also.

Lightweight means small motor small battery and it seems the ability to make money on e bikes is in the more power more battery war.

I noticed Trek has some new hybrid type bikes with a 250wh battery and a 250 watt hub motor but I think I really want a mid drive motor.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:39 AM

The Bianchi Aria might be an option. Looks great and has a nice spec. 250 W motor, 26.6 lbs per Bianchi. https://www.bianchi.com/bikes/e-bike...e/aria-e-road/
Old 10-03-2022, 10:51 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4a View Post
The Bianchi Aria might be an option. Looks great and has a nice spec. 250 W motor, 26.6 lbs per Bianchi. https://www.bianchi.com/bikes/e-bike...e/aria-e-road/
FWIW, that's one of the ebikemotion rear hub motor designs.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:59 AM
Older Than You

Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert
26.5 pounds
Review: https://www.cyclevolta.com/story/spo...t-ride-review/
Old 10-03-2022, 11:14 AM

The LeMond Prolog is a great option. Not cheap, but quite a work of art. Highly recommend it as an owner myself.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel23 View Post

If you can get over the hub motor aspect, check out https://www.swytchbike.com/. They apparently put together a nice package for what you’re looking for. Maybe relace the hub with your rim of choice of it works for you.

I’ve been eyeing one for my Brompton. Seems like an inexpensive way to dip your toes in the water without cobbling something together on your own.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert
26.5 pounds
Review: https://www.cyclevolta.com/story/spo...t-ride-review/
Yikes. $9.5 K.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:48 PM

Not cheap but wonderful - Alchemy e-Ronin available full custom (many of us aged people can't use these big drops) Mine is in custom bikes section.

I seriously doubt that Spec weight. Mine is full carbon and Fazua one of the lightest out there, and think mine is spec under 30

Last edited by buddybikes; 10-03-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:00 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Not cheap but wonderful - Alchemy e-Ronin available full custom (many of us aged people can't use these big drops) Mine is in custom bikes section.

I seriously doubt that Spec weight. Mine is full carbon and Fazua one of the lightest out there, and think mine is spec under 30
That thing is gorgeous, tbh.

I find myself almost continually tempted by the lightweight Fazua Ride 60 e-mtbs, particularly the forthcoming one from Transition. Definitely looks like the future to me.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:45 PM

Love my Turbo Creo

Motor off it's a high quality carbon road bike. Electric adds about 8 pounds to this fine carbon bike. It's like my Roubaix with a motor. I ride the Roubaix for workout fun. I ride the Creo for fun fun. I paid a bunch for the motor...I use the motor.

If you have a motor then grams don't really matter.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
A lot of the lightweight e-road bikes out there (ie Orbea Gain) use rear hub motors. Having tried these, I would avoid them at all costs myself - it gives the bike awkward front-to-rear weight balance, and generally they require the rear wheel to be bolted onto the frame, making rear tire changes awkward at best. The lightweight mid-drive systems like Fazua that are coming out now are a huge improvement over previous generation systems.
The new Mahle X20 should be a big improvement over the Mahle X35 the current Orbea Gain uses. It will be lighter and will not need an allen key to open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
As you point out, 20 pounds just isn't happening - there's no way around the battery weight. Best you're going to get is in the 27 to 32 pound range.

Specialized Turbo Creo SL owns this mid-drive segment, and it's also on the lightweight end of the range - 27 pounds. Unusually for Spesh, it's also cheaper than the Look and some other options.
It's worth noting, the Creo is a Class 3 bike, and will provide assist up to 28 mph. The Mahle and Fazua motors are Class 1, providing assist up to 20 mph. However, Class 1 bikes are legal on most bike trails while Class 3 bikes are typically not... if that makes a difference to you, not that anybody's out there checking.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Yikes. $9.5 K.
That's not that much when it comes to high end road and gravel e-bikes.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
My e-Ronin is a custom too. The LBS spent 3 hrs trying to fit me on a Creo and finally gave up: I'm between the M and the L and even the L's head tube is too short to get the bars level with the seat for me.

Mine is in one of the standard color packages, ivory and green, with the GRX group (it's what was available; all the SRAM groups had a 3-4 month wait). The wheels were built locally with Velocity rims and White Inustries hubs because the usual Industry Nine wheels had a 12 week wait due to supply chain issues.