Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2022, 05:58 PM

OT: Minivan (or other) recommendations please...

Our beloved ~ 8 year old Toyota Sienna minivan got crushed by a tree a few weeks ago - no-one was hurt, but the vehicle is totaled. We need to replace it. It was the go-to beater, but oh-so practical in almost every regard...AWD, okay-ish fuel economy, easy enough for 5 people + dog + stuff + bikes on the rear hitch and of course, sliding doors! And now that it's gone, we need to find another people/stuff hauler to take its place.

We are focusing on buying used, and some needed functions are AWD, adaptive cruise control (we use it to go to our place in the mountains regularly, so highway driving is what it does a lot), safety features (kids...see above), and ideally Apple Airplay etc. Used ideally, as we park it on city streets (and not in the garage) so a nick here and there is quite likely in our ownership (and hopefully, no more tree embellishments).

Choices in this category (AWD) seem to be (natch) - Toyota Sienna, and Chrysler Pacifica. Anyone with first-hand experience with the 2020/2021 versions of the latter? We've always been Toyota/MB/VW folks, so my knowledge and experience with the "Stellantis" family of brands is lacking. Anything else we should consider?

[There was a moment there where I thought about using this as an opportunity to get my "van life" dream vehicle - Sprinter etc., but I think I'll have to wait until all Cost Centers are out + launched!]

Thank you in advance, oh almighty PL Hive Brain...

m_b
Old 10-02-2022, 06:03 PM
Administrator

lol. it sounds like you want another all wheel drive minivan, which means you want a sienna. Good luck finding one in the current market, new or used.

our odyssey is FWD and is remarkably capable in snow, never had a problem. I would hate to need to replace it right now because of how effed the auto market is.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:10 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
lol. it sounds like you want another all wheel drive minivan, which means you want a sienna. Good luck finding one in the current market, new or used.

our odyssey is FWD and is remarkably capable in snow, never had a problem. I would hate to need to replace it right now because of how effed the auto market is.

No kidding....

I have a PHEV Pacifica. Good in snow 'NOT'. EV tires would have to come off for a winter set to see if it might be decent.

You need a 4x4 sprinter camper $240k beast obviously..
Old 10-02-2022, 06:10 PM

Not a Pacifica, but we have been driving a Dodge Grand Caravan for a couple of years now. The "Stow 'N Go" seats are amazing; we can have everything folded down in a minute and it has a huge amount of space inside; enough for me and my wife to be able to sleep comfortably when we go camping. It has also been a very reliable car so far, and I think it drives and handles very well.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:09 PM

The Chrysler minivan's have a bad reputation with some.....maybe from years ago. But I know several people with the latest generation Pacifica, and report no particular problems. And any vehicle can have a problem with modern electronic safety features. I wouldn't be afraid of one.....especially if thousands cheaper than same year and condition Sienna. Just use the savings for an extended warranty if nervous. And those stow and go seats are wonderful.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:10 PM

I’ve got a Previa i’ll sell you!
Old 10-02-2022, 07:16 PM

You might do just fine without AWD if you have appropriate tires for the season and conditions. That would allow a better chance of finding a nice used van.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:38 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
The "Stow 'N Go" seats are amazing; we can have everything folded down in a minute and it has a huge amount of space inside; enough for me and my wife to be able to sleep comfortably when we go camping.
To be clear, the PHEV [PluginHybrid] uses the space the middle seat would stow into, so you loose that to hybrid HV battery module.

The rear is stow/go in 15 second operation. We had a 2006 Town/County Stow and go, boy that quick convert is great. Our Pacifica middle seats are in a closet here since 12/2020 the day we picked it up.

But between the PHEV and the wife's Bolt, we use more gas in the lawn mower during mowing months. 95% of my PHEV use is under the 35 mile EV range. Without trips I go months without putting gas in it or even hearing the ICE run. Trips probably add up to 600.00 year in gas, at these bad prices.

SE of Portland to Coast trip with romping around gas cost like $25-26.00.

575 mile [with wild fire detours] Crater Lake trip $63.00 of gas, like that..

Redding CA and back $125ish. [2020 was 75.00]

It is amazing really a 2.5+ ton mini bus that fit 4x8 sheets with doors closed uses so little gas.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:57 PM
n - 1

We just sold our 2017 Sienna AWD with 60k miles for $30k (to car max). We bought it for $37k 6 years ago. We had zero problems with it. Excellent van. Only nick against it is no spare tire. I’d buy another if we needed a van.

I wish the new Kia Carnival came in AWD. Love the looks of it.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:44 PM

We have a 2017 Grand Caravan, it replaced an older one that simply had too many miles to be a primary vehicle. Winter tires make it quite road worthy in winter. We put studs on in November and it does fine on weekly trips up the mountain to ski, even after a dump. Ground clearance is lacking so off-roading is a no go. As others have said, Stow and Go is phenomenal. 4 adults and a Great Dane inside with luggage is no problem. We just got back from Glacier NP area for a week. Tandem, hiking gear, snowshoes (just in case), and normal stuff all inside with plenty of room to spare. I find that the winter tires make more difference than AWD.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
We just sold our 2017 Sienna AWD with 60k miles for $30k (to car max). We bought it for $37k 6 years ago. We had zero problems with it. Excellent van. Only nick against it is no spare tire. I’d buy another if we needed a van.

I wish the new Kia Carnival came in AWD. Love the looks of it.
There’s a reason CarMax and Carvana’s stock is in the clapper…. They are bagholding millions of cars they overpaid for. This isn’t going to end well. Except for those of us who sold to them in the past six months and are waiting to buy —
Old 10-02-2022, 09:12 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
There’s a reason CarMax and Carvana’s stock is in the clapper…. They are bagholding millions of cars they overpaid for. This isn’t going to end well. Except for those of us who sold to them in the past six months and are waiting to buy —
They offered me $42,800.00 in Feb for my 2020 Pacfica PHEV. Paid about 28k, rather realized with rebates and bought it when dealers were suffering before all this nonsense. 10k off sticker, 10k in your tax dollars... My CRV/AWD only had 26k on it and I did not need a car. But the numbers worked and I had to...

But what do I do if I sell it to them?? Shopping a car now? not even with a prescription unless dire need...
Old 10-02-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
They offered me $42,800.00 in Feb for my 2020 Pacfica PHEV. Paid about 28k, rather realized with rebates and bought it when dealers were suffering before all this nonsense. 10k off sticker, 10k in your tax dollars... My CRV/AWD only had 26k on it and I did not need a car. But the numbers worked and I had to...

But what do I do if I sell it to them?? Shopping a car now? not even with a prescription unless dire need...
Assume you will need to 1099K with profits realized... We won't tell...
Old 10-02-2022, 09:42 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Assume you will need to 1099K with profits realized... We won't tell...
Only if they PalPal me the money I think....
Old 10-02-2022, 09:58 PM

My mini van experience is obsolete by about 20 years, but I can say that the two I had went like snowmobiles in the snow with only front wheel drive. So maybe you could widen your search to include FWD models.