Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2022, 06:09 PM

For camparsion / what does a 32 hole wheel set weigh

Like camping record and open pros

or Shimano dura ace and open pros

steel nipples and double butted spokes

Looking to upgrade to something mod like a fulcrum Racing 5, which are like 1560ish, but wondering on what I am saving in weight
Old 10-01-2022, 06:28 PM

I have Campy 10 speed silver hubs, HED Belgium C2 clinchers with DT round spokes. 32 hole.

I can weigh on the fishing scale if that's a data point you'd like.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:30 PM

A set of wheels with Campagnolo Record hubs (w/Campagnolo freehub), 700c Mavic Open Pro rims, and 32 2.0/1.8/2.0 butted spokes per wheel (w/brass nipples) will weigh between 1650-1700 grams. If you go with 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes in front and on the left of the rear wheel, plus alloy nipples all around, the weight will drop to about 1550-1600 grams. (This does not count the weight of the skewers or rim tape.)

People often think that reducing the number of spokes will save weight, but the opposite is often true. Spokes only weigh 4-7 grams each, so a dozen spokes only weighs about 50 - 80 grams. When there are fewer spokes, the rim needs to be stiffer (and therefore usually heavier), which often adds back more weight than lost be removing spokes.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:33 PM

Thank you

I am surprised, assumed heavier, good to know
Old 10-01-2022, 10:03 PM

I was bored and curious and just weighed a set of 8 speed Open Pro 32h Record or Chorus, no skewers or cassette and got 1860. A full set Record 10, 32 h Open Pro with cassette, skewers, Open Pave tires 2850.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:26 AM

I mostly build 32h wheels for my bikes because weight savings of a few spokes is minimal. Heaviest is 1800, can get down to 1600 with lightweight hubs.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
Like camping record and open pros

or Shimano dura ace and open pros

steel nipples and double butted spokes

Looking to upgrade to something mod like a fulcrum Racing 5, which are like 1560ish, but wondering on what I am saving in weight
Here.

Might not have actual rim/hubs but find the weight and plug in appropriate.

https://wheelbuilder.com/wheel-weight-calculator/

BUT, no such thing as a free lunch. Taking serious weight off the wheels 'may' equal less reliability, and if not, 'might' have to be bigger $(carbon rims).

Also remember, the 'rotational weight/fly-wheel effect' is teeny, tiny and mostly lost in the noise PLUS

Saving 300-400 grams on a 1600 gram wheel set..IS a lot but for the bike and rider 'package', 84,000 some grams, not really much....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-02-2022 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:37 AM

To the OP, for the wheel types you are comparing, you probably aren't getting much if any benefit of going to a Fulcrum Racing 5. That is a pretty middling to low level wheel in Fulcrum's lineup. Either save up and get a real upgrade, or just be happy with what you have.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:10 AM

Campagnolo Zonda's have been available at PBK lately for right over $300. You just can't beat that for what the wheel provides.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
To the OP, for the wheel types you are comparing, you probably aren't getting much if any benefit of going to a Fulcrum Racing 5. That is a pretty middling to low level wheel in Fulcrum's lineup. Either save up and get a real upgrade, or just be happy with what you have.
This^
Old 10-02-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I was bored and curious and just weighed a set of 8 speed Open Pro 32h Record or Chorus, no skewers or cassette and got 1860. A full set Record 10, 32 h Open Pro with cassette, skewers, Open Pave tires 2850.
Campagnolo 8spd hubs (out of production for over 20 years) have steel axles and steel freehub bodies, and are much heavier than '98+ Campagnolo hubs. More recent Campagnolo hubs, with aluminum axles and freehubs, are close to 200 grams lighter than 8spd hubs. With more recent hubs, your wheels with be closer to 1660 grams.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:18 AM

There is a great web resource that has weights listed:
weightweenies.starbike.com
Old 10-03-2022, 11:47 AM

For a point of reference…

Campy black Record hubs, HED Belgium C2 rims (not the + version), 32 spokes. DT Rev spokes front and non-driveside rear, DT Comps driveside rear. Alloy nips for Revs, brass for those high tension driveside Comps. Veloflex plugs (remember those?) instead of rim tape. ~ 1610 gms.

Rim weight does matter (at least for the sake of numbers). Exact same build, but with silver Chorus hubs and Mavic Reflex tubular rims: ~ 1475 gms.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I call BS on this. There’s more to a wheel than weight. And the fulcrum 5 isn’t that bad at what, 1600 grams all in?

A bit of a retrogrouch, I still haven’t extensively ridden carbon hoops, but have been through more than my share of handbuilt aluminum wheels with high end hubs.

I can’t remember how I got them (I think it was a bike I was parting out), but I rode a season or three on a set of fulcrum 5’s. I can wholeheartedly say they performed / felt better than wheels that cost 5 times as much.

Can only assume they’ve gotten better, but if I wasn’t spooked by the low spoke count for the type of riding I do, id still be using them as an everyday wheel.

Last edited by BobbyJones; 10-03-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I call BS on this. There’s more to a wheel than weight. And the fulcrum 5 isn’t that bad at what, 1600 grams all in?

A bit of a retrogrouch, I still haven’t extensively ridden carbon hoops, but have been through more than my share of handbuilt aluminum wheels with high end hubs.

I can’t remember how I got them (I think it was a bike I was parting out), but I rode a season or three on a set of fulcrum 5’s. I can wholeheartedly say they performed / felt better than wheels that cost 5 times as much.

Can only assume they’ve gotten better, but if I wasn’t spooked by the low spoke count for the type of riding I do, id still be using them as an everyday wheel.
I think you are lacking context here. I didn't say they were a bad wheel, but from my understanding the OP is comparing them to a decent wheelset built with high end hubs (Record/Dura Ace) and Open Pro rims and was specifically asking about weight. I am almost positive I would prefer the Fulcrum 5 rim as the spec on the Open Pro are certainly dated, but the overall difference is probably not going to be big enough to really notice an upgrade.