Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2022, 07:02 AM
Randomhead

A relative asked us to sell his mother's records and we got a record dealer to come and look at them. He gave a decent price for the ones he wanted and we gave him the rest since there was no place to store them. It was an easy process.

We have 2 boxes of records I would like to get rid of now. It actually would be easier to do the same thing than putting them in the landfill. Have to think about it
Old 10-01-2022, 07:12 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Around here the public libraries will accept them as donations and put them out on tables for sale to the general public.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:03 PM

I have a few hundred old albums. I worked in a record store in the early 70's that bought and sold used discs from the college kids and local stoners. I snatched up any thing in good to real good shape and put it in a quality sleeve and covered the whole package with a with a nice plastic cover. Some you can still get on digital some you've never heard of. I still like rolling one, spinning them and reading the linear notes. Value is nothing.as far as I'm concerned-but the memories and stories are priceless to me.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:49 PM
slower than you

Last I heard, first pressing of Dylan's first album is a lotto ticket level of value, due to a misprint of some sort.

Calling in a dealer to access a whole collection is like opening up the door to the hen house and saying, have at it dudes, to the foxes.

Are there ebay sellers who specialize in this?
Old 10-01-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddub66 View Post
May depend on where you live. In the bay area, you could sell as a collection (vs single sales) and get some decent money depending on what you have. Unfortunately, the 70s albums not worth a ton (unless you have UK versions) since that was the golden age of vinyl production and there's plenty of copies of everything. If you had a collection of 90s albums, you'd be sitting on a goldmine. I know a guy who sold a decent collection of 80s/90s punk albums and had a 7" fetch $800 and another rare LP fetch $1500.

I would call your local record stores and see if they'll buy the entire collection for a fixed price. You can also go on Craigslist and there are some folks who will come out and look at your collection and give you a price.
Some of that Killed by Death goes for top $$$. What did he sell for $1500?

Last edited by lorenbike; 10-01-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren090 View Post
Some of that Killed by Death goes for top $$$. What did he sell for $1500?
Not too much late 80s kbd.

Based on the description I’d bet a love buzz 7” and a misfits lp
Old 10-01-2022, 11:52 PM

Honestly, if you’re looking to give them away I’d probably come take them.

If they’re in good shape and you’re looking to make some bread, I bet you could find a shop that’d check them out and make an offer.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:35 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

OK, fess up guys, who's collection and egg pod speaker chair is this?

I don't see a bong nearby, so that rules out some of you...

Old 10-02-2022, 01:23 AM
mentholated

no egg chair but

these two are worth around $400 each

this one is $500

and some things are just priceless.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:11 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
no egg chair but
Cool - but I'm too old for much of that stuff.

Oh, one other comment: I'm thinking that just about everyone here is out of college - we may have a few grad students, in which case an exception can be made, but there shouldn't be any albums in milk crates. That's fine when you're in school and constantly on the move, but once those days are past it's time to move up to real storage options.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:58 AM

Few things….

Before calling someone I’d suggest you spend an hour or so on google checking prices. You might very well be surprised, I was with my collection. $$$!

Get a turn table and play them, nothing sounds like vinyl. We’ve come to a place where playing music is not a focal activity as it once was but rather a cultivated playlist playing in the background. Before you get rid of those, go back through the experience of placing a tone arm down on a record and sit back and listen.

My wife surprised me with a turntable a year ago to allow me to play my boxes of albums I’ve been carting around for decades. Renewed my love of music.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:12 PM

Syrup party!
Old 10-03-2022, 11:22 AM

I purge occasionally - Craigslist always has people looking.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post

We’ve come to a place where playing music is not a focal activity as it once was but rather a cultivated playlist playing in the background. Before you get rid of those, go back through the experience of placing a tone arm down on a record and sit back and listen.
This. Everyone's wired differently, but I can say that refocusing my listening habits on vinyl (instead of streaming platforms) has been a refreshing reprieve from the daily onslaught of technological distractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I'm thinking that just about everyone here is out of college - we may have a few grad students, in which case an exception can be made, but there shouldn't be any albums in milk crates. That's fine when you're in school and constantly on the move, but once those days are past it's time to move up to real storage options.
Not this. You don't need to spend money on furniture to enjoy music.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:02 PM
mentholated

yeah i guess getting high and waking up hours later to the end of pink floyds “alans psychedelic breakfast” with the water drop sound in the runoff groove still playing is something that spotify cant replicate.