Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which hub/spoke combo would you go with?
Bitex / Pillar 17 22.08%
DT Swiss 350 / Pillar 8 10.39%
DT Swiss 350 / Sapim 30 38.96%
DT Swiss 240 EXP / Sapim 22 28.57%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2022, 07:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Peter, are the Pillar spokes mentioned here, 1420, what Pillar calls the Wing 20 on their web site? A J bend spoke with an aero profile? What nipples are you building with?

Are the Bitex hubs the BX106 front and rear?

Thank you
I think the 1420, at least that what the OP mentioned.
I build everything using 14mm, Sapim SecureLock nipples. When I couldn't get those, 12mm, when I couldn't get those and if the rim was deep enough, Sapim Double Square head or hex head(need a pretty big rim hole for the tool)..

I think I have built one or two wheel sets in the last 5 years with alloy nipples.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:32 AM

Option #1 seems like the no-brainer. I'm a bit about brand even when it makes no sense so I can't say I wouldn't go with the 240s of the options presented. This said, I'm not a huge 240 fan. They are rock solid but I've never felt that they are special in a way that justifies what they are now asking w/ re to price. I also dislike their Al FHBs but I don't know that they are any worse than what Bitex is going to provide unless the Bitex comes with Ti (unlikely given the price) or steel (unlikely given the weight).
Old 09-29-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Option #1 seems like the no-brainer. I'm a bit about brand even when it makes no sense so I can't say I wouldn't go with the 240s of the options presented. This said, I'm not a huge 240 fan. They are rock solid but I've never felt that they are special in a way that justifies what they are now asking w/ re to price. I also dislike their Al FHBs but I don't know that they are any worse than what Bitex is going to provide unless the Bitex comes with Ti (unlikely given the price) or steel (unlikely given the weight).
It looks as though Bitex has an aluminum freehub that has a steel insert in one of the grooves to reduce bite. Seems like a good solution!
Old 09-29-2022, 10:00 AM

I think that bitex insert is a great idea. I have a few sets of wheels (carbon deep, al, and 650 carbon) that all have DT350 hubs so I'm sold on that to keep the wheel swappage painless (all are centerlock and use shimano rotors) across the roadie and gravel bike. So I guess that's a consideration if you'll be moving wheels around.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:09 AM

I have one wheelset with Bitex and another with WI T11.
I also have WI on my tandem that have been in use since 2011.
Bitex are good hubs at a good price and are actually a bit lighter than WI T11.
But to my eye they have a cheap generic look to them if that matters to you.
One problem I had with the Bitex is the freehub had a defect in the machining that prevented the cogs from seating properly and I ended up stripping two lock rings before I figured it out. I don't think this is generally a problem with Bitex and just an isolated incident. W1 T11 look very nice and are bulletproof. I agree that they are not the easiest to adjust, its something you learn to do and it is not something that you have to do very often. I believe the lead time on WI is now just a few weeks and it may possible to find them in stock. I have looked into DT 240 but it is hard find them anywhere. Fairwheel has them but they are significantly higher cost than WI T11. The price is way lower in Europe but they cannot be shipped to the US.
Carbon-Ti are interesting but I worry about the durability and have heard they are very loud.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Option #1 seems like the no-brainer. I'm a bit about brand even when it makes no sense so I can't say I wouldn't go with the 240s of the options presented. This said, I'm not a huge 240 fan. They are rock solid but I've never felt that they are special in a way that justifies what they are now asking w/ re to price.
That's because we allow manufacturers to control pricing here.

If you buy from anywhere in the EU, the pricing is about half so you can make up the shipping costs fairly easily.

I only have about 3 sets of their hubs now, but I do plan on getting more, if only to have easy freehub swaps. It makes life much easier if you have several wheelsets and gearing options depending on what terrain you're riding.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:55 AM

If the info in the BTLOS website is accurate, CX-Ray spokes offer no weight advantage over the Pillar X-Tra 1420s. Both are listed as weighing 4.4 gms.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post

If you buy from anywhere in the EU, the pricing is about half so you can make up the shipping costs fairly easily.

I only have about 3 sets of their hubs now, but I do plan on getting more, if only to have easy freehub swaps. It makes life much easier if you have several wheelsets and gearing options depending on what terrain you're riding.
One reason I read about why cycling components are less expensive in the EU is because they have higher taxes so they need lower prices to make up for it. But if you compare VAT of say 20% it is not that much higher than 9.5% in L.A.
I recently ordered 4 Schwalbe Pro One tires from Bike 24 at $36 each with shipping. That is easily half of what they cost here. I think it comes down to that they can just get consumers in the US to pay more.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
If the info in the BTLOS website is accurate, CX-Ray spokes offer no weight advantage over the Pillar X-Tra 1420s. Both are listed as weighing 4.4 gms.
Some more info on Pillar spokes:

https://boydcycling.com/blogs/news/a-well-spoken-change

I am tempted to go with these on my next wheel build.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:20 AM
what's a little rust?

Aside from saying, "take oldpotatoe's advice" I'll also say I have never been disappointed with my DT350 hubs on road or MTB.

Oldpotatoe, since you're here, can Bitex hubs be adjusted/improved with respect to degrees of engagement? Asking mostly for MTB reasons.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
One reason I read about why cycling components are less expensive in the EU is because they have higher taxes so they need lower prices to make up for it. But if you compare VAT of say 20% it is not that much higher than 9.5% in L.A.
I recently ordered 4 Schwalbe Pro One tires from Bike 24 at $36 each with shipping. That is easily half of what they cost here. I think it comes down to that they can just get consumers in the US to pay more.
Probably both?

MAP (minimum advertised price) is illegal in the EU, and it is rampant here.

20% VAT doesn't really explain a 100% markup though.

Last edited by rice rocket; 09-29-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Aside from saying, "take oldpotatoe's advice" I'll also say I have never been disappointed with my DT350 hubs on road or MTB.

Oldpotatoe, since you're here, can Bitex hubs be adjusted/improved with respect to degrees of engagement? Asking mostly for MTB reasons.
The degrees of engagement are what they are and can't be changed. It's slightly quicker than White Industries 48 but nowhere near I9 Hydra (which is fundamentally instant). In my experience it's absolutely adequate for any mountain biking, but I never drank the instant engagement Kool-Aid. Certainly not on road - it's irrelevant for road use.

The anti-chew steel strip on their HG hub bodies is effective but I've seen a few instances of them coming out. Easy enough to glue back in.

If you use really any cassette format other than HG, spline chew becomes a non-issue.

For road hubs, I think the RAR12 geometry is a bit deficient but the disc hubs (106, 212) are just fine. The RAF12 rim brake front hub actually has awesome geometry at the expense of having a small bearing which is likely to require more frequent replacement.

Their machining is good, the bearing bores are consistent and good tolerance. I can't recall any flange breakages with any we've built with.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post

I prefer campy wheels all day every day for easy FHB swaps, plus I like their carbon rims. I know record hubs are becoming unobtanium but I have a few sets laced to Belgiums and the FHBs work with Boras so it's a solution for now. I do agree that DT Swiss FHBs are easy to swap.
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post

Don’t think so
what's a little rust?

Thanks for the insight, November Dave. And OP!