Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2022, 10:48 AM

Campagnolo 12 and SRAM AXS compatibility

While moving some wheelsets between bikes last night, I realized that I installed a Super Record 12 wheel on one of my bikes with Red AXS. My initial frustration was replaced with curiosity when everything seemed to shift smoothly, so I left it. I took out that bike for a 40-mile ride today, and everything worked perfectly. SRAM Red cranks (48/35), SRAM flat top chain, and a Super Record 12 cassette (11-29) all had zero compatibility issues.

In the stand there might have been the slightest rasp when I was in 48-11, but considering I'm never really in that gear on the road (same as the 48-10 with the SRAM cassette), it was a non-issue. Oh, and for what it's worth, the Campagnolo 12-speed cassette is installed on a Chris King R45 hub, and there are no compatibility issues there either.

Feel free to disagree with the any of the above for sake of argument, though.

Last edited by Blown Reek; 08-30-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Yep, all the 12sp stuff plays well together.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:08 PM
Deconditioned!

Sweet!!!! Very good to know.

I loved being able to swap 11s stuff around with zero issues.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:27 PM

If you ask the component manufacturers their direct answer is no it is not compatible. So it takes real world experience like this to figure it out.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:19 AM

You’ve done the community a real service with this ,I’ve been thinking about getting external braze-on’s sweated off a lovely NOS steel frame I have and going AXS but still use some of my nice Campag 12 wheel sets
Old 09-01-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Sweet!!!! Very good to know.

I loved being able to swap 11s stuff around with zero issues.
Yeah - I was expecting to not be able and being able to run cheaper Shimano hubs and cassettes with Campy (as you can with 11s)
Old 09-01-2022, 09:45 AM

So does this mean you can run AXS rear freehub/cassette with Campy drivetrain??? I'm looking for a Campy rear hub online and can't find anything in stock. Tons of AXS hubs though...
Old 09-01-2022, 10:47 AM

Remembering past threads about combining different 12 speed brands ,folk say there is now minimal difference in cassette spacings but some confusion about when a flattop chain must be used .I’ve noticed on KMC’s site they now list their 12 speed chain chain as being usable on all the big threes group sets
Old 09-01-2022, 10:58 AM

Campy with Shimano

I've been running Chorus 12s with an 11-34 Ultegra Cassette on Bora WTO wheels with SRAM Flat Top Chain for months now... no issues....

so good news, 12s is interchangable for cassettes and chains like 11s was...

My setup is super quiet... shifts great and zero issues after about 1000 miles...
Old 09-01-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337 View Post
I've been running Chorus 12s with an 11-34 Ultegra Cassette on Bora WTO wheels with SRAM Flat Top Chain for months now... no issues....
Jesus, my head hurt reading that sentence. Campy drivetrain, Campy wheels, Shimano cassette, SRAM chain. How do you sleep at night ? Glad it works well.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:11 PM

The only combination that didn't work for me was a shimano 12 chain with axs cassette.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:15 PM

Time for a new chain for the Bishop. OEM was the Campy 12spd SR chain, next the KMC X 12spd, now maybe try out a SRAM flat top.

I found lots of non-compatibility statements between SRAM chains and Campy drivetrains. Good to hear they actually DO work together.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
While moving some wheelsets between bikes last night, I realized that I installed a Super Record 12 wheel on one of my bikes with Red AXS. My initial frustration was replaced with curiosity when everything seemed to shift smoothly, so I left it. I took out that bike for a 40-mile ride today, and everything worked perfectly. SRAM Red cranks (48/35), SRAM flat top chain, and a Super Record 12 cassette (11-29) all had zero compatibility issues.

In the stand there might have been the slightest rasp when I was in 48-11, but considering I'm never really in that gear on the road (same as the 48-10 with the SRAM cassette), it was a non-issue. Oh, and for what it's worth, the Campagnolo 12-speed cassette is installed on a Chris King R45 hub, and there are no compatibility issues there either.

Feel free to disagree with the any of the above for sake of argument, though.
Like with 11s, there isn't much room to get that 11 or 12s cogset onto the right side of the hub(particularly with 130mm spacing), and still have the rear hub build be reliable, and have the cogset be reliable...so not surprised 11 and 12s spacing is almost identical.
Quote:
I found lots of non-compatibility statements between SRAM chains and Campy drivetrains. Good to hear they actually DO work together.
That component maker SOP..GOTTA say what 'officially' works and OMG, use a Campag chain on that otherwise sram set-up and taco ed himself will visit you and smack you with his wet sram t-shirt...size XXXXL

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-07-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post

Oh, and for what it's worth, the Campagnolo 12-speed cassette is installed on a Chris King R45 hub, and there are no compatibility issues there either.
So the campag 12 speed cassette is on a SRAM or Shimano free hub?
Old 10-03-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Yep, all the 12sp stuff plays well together.

Can we see more of the bike? It looks scrumptious

Tags
axs compatibility