Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2022, 09:13 AM

1 euro = 1 dollar?

Parity for the first time since 2002?

Anyone planning some european bike purchases?
Old 07-12-2022, 09:16 AM

No but im planning to go to Italy next month and will need to exchange some dollar bills!

Whats the best way to do this? The whole exchange rate thing never made sense in my brain. Is is good that they are 1 to 1?!
Old 07-12-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
No but im planning to go to Italy next month and will need to exchange some dollar bills!

Whats the best way to do this? The whole exchange rate thing never made sense in my brain. Is is good that they are 1 to 1?!
My daughter just got back and they did not want her dollars. That was only two weeks ago. Might be different now.

Got a buddy there now and asked him if he is seeing any deals, and he said he is too blinded by megayachts to notice. Things might be changing.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:26 AM

Time to put a big MTB and road bike tire order in with Lord Gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Parity for the first time since 2002?

Anyone planning some european bike purchases?
Old 07-12-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:

The last time we went to Europe we went to our bank here and bought Euros so we would have some cash in hand when we got there.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh View Post
The last time we went to Europe we went to our bank here and bought Euros so we would have some cash in hand when we got there.
That's what we do as well.

Otherwise, off to an ATM while there for Euros.

We never carry more then we need, as it's so easy to pick up more.

In addition, we carry a bankcard from a German bank. We have my wife's family there and it's convenient.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:55 AM
n - 1

Last time I went to Italy, I pulled out a little cash at one of the banks in Rome for shopping at the market.

But mostly used my credit card. Some cards have no foreign transaction fees. Mine had a 2% fee. But it was worth it for me, as I didn’t want to carry cash around everywhere and didn’t want to come home with euros.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The whole exchange rate thing never made sense in my brain. Is is good that they are 1 to 1?!
If you hold US dollars it's very good. What used to cost ~$125 now costs ~$100. If you hold Euros (and the British Pound is in similar shape) is bad. What used to cost ~83 Euros now costs ~100 Euros.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:01 AM
You still here?

I’ve found the best place to buy foreign currency is AAA if you’re a member. They don’t have all the Mickey Mouse fees the banks usually charge.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:09 AM

So what’s happening against the £?
The tour company I use is in Wales. It pains me when I have to pay in £s.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:41 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
So what’s happening against the £?
The tour company I use is in Wales. It pains me when I have to pay in £s.
well pounds are also pretty damn low
Old 07-12-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Is is good that they are 1 to 1?!
For the US economy, it's bad. It means less foreign purchases of goods and services, and more US purchasers buying overseas.

Really a tough spot, because normally the central banks can depress the valuation of the currency to make it more attractive for foreign investment by lowering interest rates, but we already have inflation out the ass. It's going to be a long winter.

This seems to play into Russia's attempt to topple the world order.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:24 AM

Every time we travel to the UK, the best exchange rates and cheapest conversion (commission free) is to exchange USD at either the post office or a travel agency, we used Thomas Cook but I think they went bust a couple of years ago. If you are changing large sums it might take an extra day to get the money in the branch but we've always got enough to get by. We usually swap any excess back before leaving the country as our US bank offers a pitiful exchange rate.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:30 AM

I was just in Mallorca and enjoyed having Euros near parity (it was around 1.05). It was a pleasant surprise on a long planned trip.

The best way to preserve the rate is to just pay for everything you can with credit cards. Mine has no foreign transaction fee and from what I've reviewed of my statement, I got a good rate.

A lot of places will give you the option of paying with your card in Euros or Dollars (via the CC terminal). Always pay with euros. If you get charged in dollars you are guaranteed to get a worse exchange rate.

I'd also be careful relying on ATMs. One place we were, we needed cash and were unable to find a bank. The only ATMs available were still exchanging at 1.16 for euros plus a 2.5% transaction fee plus a $4E convenience fee. Ended up paying like $40 on a $200 transaction.

BTW, Mallorca has the best road riding I've ever experienced. I keep meaning to put up a post with some photos.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:33 AM
formerly Landshark_98

It's good for US travelers and buying parts from Uk/EU. If traveling open and account with a bank that has no transaction fee on cash withdrawals, is in a network where their debit card works, and withdraw cash as needed. Chase has zero fee cards. It also allows you to segregate vacation money in a separate account which can have multiple benefits.