Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2020, 05:06 PM

32mm Veloflex clinchers!

When are they going to get it. With the birth of gravel and frames that can accept larger volume tyres more and more cyclists want large volume performance tyres. Tarmac and gravel. I suspect their niche is the road race market but I really wonder if Veloflex are missing an opportunity here

I seriously wish they’d produce a tyre larger than 28mm (and from experience veloflex clinchers come up narrow anyway). I realise Jan Heine and Panaracer have filled this gap with the Compass tyres. But the price of these puts me off from making them my go to tyre.... so 28mm veloflex clinchers it is.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:07 PM

They held on to the stance of "we'll never make a 28c clincher" for years past due, so I bet they'll have a 32mm clincher in, like, 2023
Old 05-07-2020, 05:10 PM

For the past couple months I’ve been trying out a set of 32mm Panaracer gravel kings mounted on on HED Belgium Plus rims. I’m amazed at how nimble they feel given the extra rubber these things are built with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-07-2020, 05:11 PM

Experience with the gravel kings just got me thinking....
Old 05-07-2020, 05:15 PM

32mm Veloflex clinchers!

Over the years I’ve tried dozens of different clincher and rim combinations. Time and time again I keep going back to old favourites; Veloflex for the late spring/summer. Vittoria Pave CG for Autumn/Early spring. Panaracer Paselas for the winter (28mm wired model on box section Ambrosio excellence rims - I love the feeling of going back to a set of light Summer wheels and find riding heavy bomb proof wheels during winter just makes that a light summer rig feel all the more special).

Anyhow, as well as the veloflex clinchers I sometimes ride their ‘Vlaanderen’ 27mm tubs on Enve Carbon tubulars so like to think I’ve got a good point of reference when trying different clinchers).

But with the arrival of warmer days I’m back out on wheels shod with the trusty old Veloflex. 28mm Corsa’s.

Could be worse I suppose
Old 05-07-2020, 06:51 PM

Don’t you mean 32’s that measure 30’s?
Old 05-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Good point
Old 05-07-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Don’t you mean 32’s that measure 30’s?

But then again so do Panaracer
Old 05-07-2020, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslow View Post
Over the years I’ve tried dozens of different clincher and rim combinations. Time and time again I keep going back to old favourites; Veloflex for the late spring/summer. Vittoria Pave CG for Autumn/Early spring. Panaracer Paselas for the winter (28mm wired model on box section Ambrosio excellence rims - I love the feeling of going back to a set of light Summer wheels and find riding heavy bomb proof wheels during winter just makes that a light summer rig feel all the more special).

Anyhow, as well as the veloflex clinchers I sometimes ride their ‘Vlaanderen’ 27mm tubs on Enve Carbon tubulars so like to think I’ve got a good point of reference when trying different clinchers).

But with the arrival of warmer days I’m back out on wheels shod with the trusty old Veloflex. 28mm Corsa’s.

Could be worse I suppose
i'm in a similar boat, but have been branching out a bit. i dont ride 28's though. i see them as a middle ground that has no purpose for me. 25c on the road is big enough. 32 is for gravel for me.

anyway, you will want to be trying the new vittoria corsa control. they will easily replace your [no longer made] pave's and even easier replace your paselas.

i've got some pretty significant crap weather miles on them now and they are very good in both the winter and shoulder seasons.

veloflex still rule for the best weather.

i've comitted what i used to think is a crime and am riding the new GP5000's a bit. they are not as supple, but are fast tires. for sure.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm in a similar boat, but have been branching out a bit. i dont ride 28's though. i see them as a middle ground that has no purpose for me. 25c on the road is big enough. 32 is for gravel for me.

anyway, you will want to be trying the new vittoria corsa control. they will easily replace your [no longer made] pave's and even easier replace your paselas.

i've got some pretty significant crap weather miles on them now and they are very good in both the winter and shoulder seasons.

veloflex still rule for the best weather.

i've comitted what i used to think is a crime and am riding the new GP5000's a bit. they are not as supple, but are fast tires. for sure.

Yeah the Veloflex have a magic carpet ride while the 4000/5000 are fast and do handle well. I wanted some big tires and have some Conti Grand Prix Urban. It is a pretty fast tire and the extra volume is great. I believe they are really just a bigger Grand Prix with a couple bells and whistles. I will keep them on until these veloflex 32’s materialize.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 05-07-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:54 PM

28c forever!

my fave clincher size: Clement, Veloflex, Compass
All good
Not tubular tho
That is the magic carpet ride
Or big fat 650 b tires
No opinion on “gravel”
Old 05-07-2020, 07:59 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I have a pair of GP4Seasons on my 'road' wheelset on my CX bike. 32c tires pumped to 'not much' feels really nice on my local roads that pre-date cars in lots of cases

M
Old 05-07-2020, 08:35 PM

I recently switched from 28C Rene Herse tires to Grand Bois Cypres that measure 32mm on Astral Solstice rims. I'm really enjoying the ride on the rough roads around here. Don't know how they'll feel when quick group rides return.

David
Old 05-07-2020, 08:42 PM

I contacted Veloflex about 3-4 months ago, asking if they had plans to bring out a winter/wet weather oriented open clincher to compliment the Corsa/Master. Something akin to a Vittoria Corsa Control. And something wider than 28.

Their response was, and I quote:

"We are tight lipped for now and can't reveal too much. Watch this space. We think you will be pleasantly surprised".

For this reason, I am holding off buying any new tyres whatsoever.

Just hope their business and production hasn't been too badly affected by COVID, since they are based in a very hard hit part of Italy.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:56 PM

32mm tubeless now available

https://www.veloflex.it/en/tubeless-ready

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on them.