Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2004, 12:49 PM

* real name - Dave
* where do you live? Ft. Lauderdale, FL - flat, flat and more flat, And sometimes windy
* explanation of your handle -
* explanation of your avatar -Where I ride most of the time
* age (general or specific) - 44
* occupation - owner of a sailing school
* favorite bike - current fave is Pegoretti Fina Estampa
* what's in your stable? - Fina, Co-Motion Co-Pilot, Trek Y-Foil
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 45ish, a couple times
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,000 by year end
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told - Alpe d'Huez wasn't really that hard
Old 12-11-2004, 02:02 PM

Who, who ...

* real name, if you like: Dan (a name I like just fine).
* where do you live? Arlington, Virginia
* explanation of your handle: I used my initials.
* explanation of your avatar: we don' need no stinking avatar (actually, I'm just lazy)
* age (general or specific): 44
* favorite bike: tough call, but I think it's my Nag CT1
* what's in your stable? Serotta CSi, Colnago CT1, and a budget Gary Fisher hardtail that doesn't get all that much use.
* fastest speed on a road bike? Dunno. Probably something a little nuts, back in college, in New Hampshire, without a computer.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Dunno, but it was pretty dismal. Two-year-old twins, what are you gonna do?
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't have one handy, but I'll see what I can scare up.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:13 PM

* where do you live? Woodinville, WA - about 20 miles NE of Seattle.
* explanation of your handle: n/a
* explanation of your avatar: Myself at the top of Chinook Pass a couple of years ago
* age (general or specific) Let's see, what year is it... take a way the number you first thought of... 43.
* favorite bike: Depends on the ride and weather, but my old Koga-Miyata Full Pro refuses to be sold
* what's in your stable? Built up and rideable: Rambouillet, Legend, Schwinn Peloton (fixie), Koga-Miyata, cheap Specialized mtb.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? 50 ish mph dropping down the the Green River Valley in WA.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 6100 or so
* picture of yourself or your ride? See avatar.
* longest ride: 375 miles, 37 hours (an SIR 600k)
* fastest ride: 10 miles, 24:46 (back in the early 80s with non-aero gear)

Orin.

Last edited by Orin; 12-11-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Like I'm the only one...

* real name, if you like: Ian

* where do you live? Lower Alabama

* explanation of your handle: Golfing buds gave it to me. I'm pale and half Scot.

* explanation of your avatar: Hearts football club, Scotland

* age (general or specific): act 18, but I'm really 36.

* favorite bike: Legend Ti

* what's in your stable? Waterford 2200, Miyata, Paramount, Stumpjumper, and Legend Ti.

* fastest speed on a road bike? Hit 50 on an old Kabuki with an analog speedo in the early 80's. Lucky to still be alive.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? No idea, my Vetta RT88 died in the spring and haven't used a computer since.

* picture of yourself or your ride? There's one of me in drag for a womanless beauty pageant for the American Cancer Society on here somewhere. Found it, http://forums.thepaceline.net/attach...ntid=523&stc=1

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told - She's only a friend.

Last edited by pale scotsman; 12-11-2004 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Certified Campy Snob

* where do you live? Minneapolis, Minnesota
* explanation of your handle : Short for Peanut Butter Wrench, old Campy tool used to remove cotterless crank and spread Skippy.
* explanation of your avatar: 1/2 a PB Wrench
* age (general or specific) 46
* favorite bike : depends on my daily karma
* what's in your stable? Legend Ti, Colnago C40, Litespeed Obed, restored 70's Raleigh Professional
* fastest speed on a road bike? About 50, going down La Sal in Moab
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? About 3300 -- our season is 7 months at best
* picture of your ride? There are pictures of the Legend and Raleigh in the galleries
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Why do I love bikes so much? "I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round; I really love to see them roll."
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told "I can really feel the ride difference these carbon water bottle cages make!"*
Old 12-11-2004, 04:27 PM

Live: San Diego, California. Another ho-hum day in paradise.

Handle: You know.

Avatar: BB cluster on my Moots Vamoots. The Chargers going to the Super Bowl this year.

Favorite bike: Probably my Holland Ti. It just agrees with me.But I love ALL my fine machines. And I ride 'em all, just like Hugh Hefner.

Stable: Litespeed Team Issue,Serotta Legend Ti, Seven Axiom Ti, Seven Axiom Steel, Holland Ti, Moots Vamoots, Dean El Diente(why would a company name their bike "The Tooth"? never have figured that out), Airborne Zeppelin, Quintana Roo Borrego(their last road geometry frame), 'Dale CAAD-4, 'Dale R-700 (old TT), 'Dale RT-1000 tandem. Hmmm...I think thats it.

Fastest: 55MPH, going down Hwy 8 West out of Descanso a few years back.

Miles per year: around 6 grand I suppose. Maybe a little less.

Picture: Nope. No have.

Extra question: Do you keep a loaded Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver handy in case there may be purps who try to break into your house and steal your belongings? Are you a great shot? Are you a light sleeper?: Yes, yes and yes.

Biggest lie: "No, babe! I got that bike years ago. You just never noticed it before, I guess."

Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 12-12-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

live: Gloucester, MA (a coastal community north of Boston)
handle: obvious
avatar: our Mini Cooper S on a Mini Owners Rally with my son, Jesse
Occupation: part owner of a steel fabricating and erecting company - third generation family business
Favorite bike: My Ottrott ST
stable: Ottrott ST, Concours, Cannondale R1000 Aero TT bike, Cannondale XR800 cross bike, Santa Cruz Superlight MTB (currently up for sale)
fastest: 45 mph on a descent during a Pan-Mass Challenge somewhere south of Boston
Miles per year: in 2004: 3100 road/TT and 350 cross
picture:
(I know it's cross, but it's the best bike picture I've got)

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Bike Fitter

Shino , why did you have to tell us your real name , you ruined it for me , you were a mystery man to all of us , like Cosmo Kramer .
Old 12-11-2004, 05:22 PM
aka Terry Keele

* real name, if you like: Terry Keele
* where do you live? Portland OR area
* explanation of your handle: Choy - Choy Fok, Li - Li Yau San, Fut - meaning Buddha. A Northern and Southern Kung-Fu system developed in the early 1800s.
* explanation of your avatar: guess I need one of those
* age (general or specific): 41
* favorite bike: Ti Spectrum
* what's in your stable? Ti Spectrum, Merckx Corsa, Kelley SS cross rig, Kona Cross bike, Specialized hard-tale, 80s Trek fixe, Guerciotti track bike (on loan).
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 52 down Bald Peak in the draft of someone much heavier than me
* how many miles ON THE ROAD: Just turned 9k
* picture of yourself or your ride? a few in the gallery
* make up and answer at least one additional question:What got you back into cycling? Re hab for a dislocated hip.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: Dude, I didn't hit that guy, he must be narcoleptic.
* and, something fun. Won the Can-Am Open (San Shou Division) at the age of 38.

Last edited by coylifut; 12-11-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:19 PM
surfbikeswim

new guy intro

* where do you live? Suffolk County,Long Island, NY

* explanation of your handle: Things I like to do listed in order. Thinking of starting to do triatlons but wish there was a triathlon with surfing instead of running.

* age (general or specific): 39.

* favorite bike: Atlanta that I just got from dbrk (well the frame & fork are my favorite - it isn't built up yet)

* what's in your stable? Atlanta, Bianchi Veloce, Specialized Stumpjumper.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? About 1600

Ian
Old 12-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Well, as my first post on this forum, here goes...

Name: Ed - can't remember anything longer than two letters.
Where I live: Arlington MA (just outside of Boston)
explanation of my handle: I do a bit of custom work in titanium...
explanation of my avatar: Ain't got one - I'm saving up, maybe next year.
Mental age: 4.
favorite bike: I keep returning to my Peter Mooney custom race bike - it's kinda heavy and it's 16 years old now. Some day I'll find something I like as much.
What's in my stable: A small fleet of Peter Mooneys, a broken Seven, a Surley steam roller, a Ritchey Skyliner tandem, an old Fat Chance mountian bike, a new IF mountain bike, and about 25 other bikes that I raced on and just can't bring myself to sell.
Fastest speed on a bike: That would be cheating, I have a 58T chainring on the tandem. I stopped looking down at 70 going down Kinsman notch in NH.
How many miles on the road: Probably about 8,000.
Picture of myself on a ride. I'm way too ugly to be photographed.
Make up an answer to at least one additional question: 42.
The biggest lie I've ever told: Lines 6 thru 21 on last year's tax returns.
And something fun: Full moon rides, we ride out to the top of some hill, build a small fire and make smores. Most people come just to watch me lug a trailer with all the supplies (including the big bag of matchlight charcoal) up the biggest hill we can find on my fixed gear.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Campy or Walk

Name: Bill Bove
Explain your handle: I can't, my parents made it up.
My avitar: The shop cat, Whitey, in full sprint mode.
The stable: Ridable- Legend Ti, two Colorado Al's, Nova Special X. An Atlanta to be built up soon. Projects to get around to: Fat Chance Wicked Light, Paramount (Waterford built) mountain bike. One I'd like to have: Peg Fina someday.
Fastest speed: 60's descending but that shouldn't count, 40 in meaningless county line sprint.
Miles: Around 10K
Biggest lie: Anytime I said "thank you, sir" when I was in the Air Farce.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

C'mon people lets hear from others, don't worry we won't bite.Sandy might but we won't.
I bet there is a pretty eclectic mix on this board, let's hear about you.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:47 AM

I am totally impressed with HOW MANY bikes each of you own.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:32 AM
M_A_Martin

* real name, if you like: Mary Ann...and "Ginger" if you don't like that.

* where do you live? Ferndale, MI. For those of you who don't want to mapquest just think of it as "somewhere in the greater metropolitan Detroit area", and about a mile away from 8 mile...no...I haven't seen the movie.

* explanation of your handle: M. SPACE A. hmmmm, both initials and nickname...I'm not your mom so don't call me "ma". I never pretend, but since I'm posting here people who haven't been around the board for a while think I'm a guy...imagine that!

* explanation of your avatar: My beloved CSI. I don't own it anymore, but I did love it.

* age (general or specific): 40 (specific enough? My birthday was November 17th, did you call? did you send me a present? No!!!? What kind of friend are you?)

* occupation: Technical Writer - Marketing. Some would call that a copywriter but I write original stuff...human resources can't make the leap.

* favorite bike: My beautiful Kirk Terraplane!

* what's in your stable? Kirk Terraplane, Bianchi EV2, Bianchi Eros, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Bridgestone X-04, Schwinn Continental (mint green cruiser) and a cute little Bianchi folding bike. Hmmmm...I'm happy to say that I've rehomed some bikes. Anyone interested in the EV2? RA...I'm cutting down...there used to be 9 on the list...

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 115 or so, I-275, 1997? I was just cruising along by myself on a beautiful summer night at 3am and realized I was going stupid fast...OH you mean on a road bike with pedals! Solo bike: 52.5 mph on a curvy descent in northern Michigan (those are pedals, not foot rests!) Tandem: 55, similar area. On the flats solo? I could stick at 28mph (NOT average...) fairly consistantly in September of 2000.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 1780

* picture of yourself or your ride? At the bottom of the post...I thought it was neat that the park service painted a sign to match. How thoughtful!

* make up and answer at least one additional question. 5

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: "I can't ride, but I think I can walk." (This fall when crashed my Yo Eddy and tore my MCL/LCL/ACL and meniscus...I should have insisted on a rescue squad to come and carry me out)

* and, something fun: What I did for entertainment *last* year while recovering from knee surgery...an old schwin, 700 lights, and lots of tape, a few zip ties, and viola! A holiday decoration! (How many of you remembered to pick up an old bike to do this to this year?)

Last edited by M_A_Martin; 12-12-2004 at 09:35 AM.