Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2022, 11:41 PM

OT: Minivan (or other) recommendations please...

If AWD is a must and you want something that will last, get a Sienna. If you can get away with FWD and winter tires and you want something that will last, get a Sienna or an Odyssey. If you want a cheap pile of shyte, get a Chrysler product.

I have bad ideas…
Old 10-03-2022, 06:51 AM
Everything is connected

We had two Honda Odysseys over an 18 year period and they were fine in Midwest Winters if running good snow tires…in our case Bridgestone Blizzaks. I would get three Winters out of a set of tires.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:30 AM

I know Toyota and Chrysler have been collaborating for a few years now. Not sure if that translates over to the Pacifica/Sienna, but it may be the same motor and transmission in both?

We looked at both before purchasing a Venza instead. Slightly less carrying capacity, but plenty of room for 5 and some space in the rear. I think the Pacifica looked nicer and had some better options available at the time to a comparable Sienna, but I did not extensively drive either.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2022, 07:44 AM

We love our 2021 Sienna for a family of 5. Great features like adaptive cruise control, CarPlay, fits a lot, highly configurable for various adventures. We have the LE which allows the 8 seat configuration with a removable jump seat. For us this is preferable to the XLE which is 7 seat only with the captains chairs. And a good deal cheaper. We don’t have the AWD and traction is pretty terrible, need to try better tires.

Gas mileage is good, but not as good as claimed: 33 mpg in summer, less in colder months.

I was interested in the Pacifica PHEV but it was impossible to find anywhere. And more expensive.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I know Toyota and Chrysler have been collaborating for a few years now. Not sure if that translates over to the Pacifica/Sienna, but it may be the same motor and transmission in both?

We looked at both before purchasing a Venza instead. Slightly less carrying capacity, but plenty of room for 5 and some space in the rear. I think the Pacifica looked nicer and had some better options available at the time to a comparable Sienna, but I did not extensively drive either.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure the Sienna shares a platform with multiple other Toyota hybrid vehicles (Highlander I think is one) but not with the Chrysler.
The Chrysler is a plug in.

As far as need for AWD goes, I agree good tires like Blizzaks can get you most of the way there with FWD.
We live in a rural area and have a few options to get to our house, all of which involve steep hills.
Over a 7 year period, we had our FWD Sienna get left at the bottom of our hill twice because there was no way to get it up at the time.
Not a huge number of instances but quite a hassle when it happens. Especially if young children are involved.
With the AWD Sienna we have never had that happen. The AWD Sienna with Blizzaks is not a Subaru equivalent but it's close. It's really good.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:24 AM

As far as snow performance, I've owned several Subarus and have come to the conclusion that a FWD car with good snow tires is pretty much as solid in snow as the Subaru. All to say that you needn't necessarily feel tied to AWD if you're willing to swap tires (I'm a MA driver as well). Currently drive a Mazda 5 (truly) minivan. With snow tires in the winter
Old 10-03-2022, 09:04 AM
n - 1

I’m in Northern Utah. I’ve made due with FWD in the past years (with good snow tires ie Blizzack, Hakka’s, etc in studded). It makes a big difference in snow (esp stopping). But there is always those handful of times during the year that it won’t do. I’ve gotten stuck several times. The global weather change seem to make it worse with the more frequent freeze/thaw/freeze cycles. We also travel to Wyoming and Colorado during the winter months. I decided it’s not worth it for us. There are really no penalties for AWD (maybe like 1 mpg but we were getting 28mpg on the highway). We switched 10 years ago and no regrets.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:23 AM

Heh.. I just drove my brother's 2022 AWD Sienna Hybrid 400+ miles this weekend up to Vermont and back.

That thing is ridiculous.. it averaged 34mpg for the trip setting the cruise to 80mph on the highway (read mountains), no need to fill up over the weekend and the trip home. Tons of room. Drives itself on the highway, which is really disconcerting for someone never used to all these new computer features... the "radar cruise" is very well implemented.

They're supposedly super hard to get but if I was in the market I'd want one.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:42 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4_Ford View Post
If AWD is a must and you want something that will last, get a Sienna. If you can get away with FWD and winter tires and you want something that will last, get a Sienna or an Odyssey. If you want a cheap pile of shyte, get a Chrysler product.

I have bad ideas…

I dunno if/why you have a specific prejudice, We've had lots of mini van from 89 thru today. Mostly the originator of the mini van, Dodge/Chrys/Plymoth. The 89 was a pile of worst shifting slug, but with kids the van part bliss in use. The next 95 Sport Voyager [a lot less of a slug] was a favorite to date. The 2006 Town/Country first stow/go, hooked. Touring model, best road car ever for trips. Thirsty bugger. PHEV is making up for that in spades.

My last older era one was a 5 spd manual with 4 cyl Mitsu engine. From the alloy head on cast iron block era. After I did the head it was great! [bought is for dirt with bad head] Had Sonoma PU/GMC from that era go thru same thing. Get the head done, another +150k of good service.

While I am not personally insulted, the PHEV is the most loaded mini van to date, and albeit new still, I could no be happier.

We had an Odyssey once too, early before they gigundaized them.. We had a 450-SLC once to. What they all had in common is they all were cars, and none to me stood above the rest.

Note: Apparently there is Voyagers again. Pacifica being the 'lux' +$50k vehicles, and the 'Voyagers' more like the Honda 'LX' trim level vehicles.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:23 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the minivans mentioned in this thread. I have had a Pacifica plug in hybrid for five years now. It is great. It's comfortable, quiet, thrifty with gas, plenty of room. We had it in the Denver area for the winters and it did fine in the snow. Must of my driving is local so gas is only used when we go on a road trip.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:36 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the minivans mentioned in this thread. I have had a Pacifica plug in hybrid for five years now. It is great. It's comfortable, quiet, thrifty with gas, plenty of room. We had it in the Denver area for the winters and it did fine in the snow. Must of my driving is local so gas is only used when we go on a road trip.

What was your tire/cable/chains contingency? My 2020 PHEV on wet is bad enough. That said, my Wife's Honda 2WD Fit with real snows annihilated our CRV/AWD for traction. Especially by the 2nd winter when the CRV tires had 15k on them...

Side note: I have been saying the PHEV stops poorly. I had an idiot brake check the guy in front of me the other day. And used enough brakes to kick in ABS and take regen outta the equation. It did great, so I will stop saying that. And EV tire did fine in the panic stop too, was not sure about that prior.

Last edited by robt57; 10-03-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:45 PM

We are on our second Sienna and it is great for trips and bikes.
I can put our tandem inside without taking off the wheel.
It is a 2010 bought it used with low mileage for $18K.
I think it had some problems we were not aware of though.
The transmission went out shortly before 60K but we were very lucky it was covered under warranty so we got a new transmission. Also the steering rack needed replacement. Likely it was in an accident that the seller did not disclose.
Still got our moneys worth as a new one was $24K at the time. Still going strong at 150K. If I were to get something new would definitely want an EV or Plug In. It's hard to find anything big enough to fit our bikes inside. My daughter recently got a new Hyundai Tucson and it is nice, they make a plug in version of it. Not quite big enough though.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
What was your tire/cable/chains contingency? My 2020 PHEV on wet is bad enough. That said, my Wife's Honda 2WD Fit with real snows annihilated our CRV/AWD for traction. Especially by the 2nd winter when the CRV tires had 15k on them...

Side note: I have been saying the PHEV stops poorly. I had an idiot brake check the guy in front of me the other day. And used enough brakes to kick in ABS and take regen outta the equation. It did great, so I will stop saying that. And EV tire did fine in the panic stop too, was not sure about that prior.
No snow tires or chains, just the standard tires that came with the 2017 Pacifica.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
There’s a reason CarMax and Carvana’s stock is in the clapper…. They are bagholding millions of cars they overpaid for. This isn’t going to end well. Except for those of us who sold to them in the past six months and are waiting to buy —
+1.

I’m carless because I sold high in May. Waiting to buy (and saving a lot on insurance and parking) until prices come down.

Oh, and I won’t mind if Carvana, CarMax, dealerships, and the whole Cox Automotive empire get caught out for holding said bags between now and then.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Heh.. I just drove my brother's 2022 AWD Sienna Hybrid 400+ miles this weekend up to Vermont and back.

That thing is ridiculous.. it averaged 34mpg for the trip setting the cruise to 80mph on the highway (read mountains), no need to fill up over the weekend and the trip home. Tons of room. Drives itself on the highway, which is really disconcerting for someone never used to all these new computer features... the "radar cruise" is very well implemented.

They're supposedly super hard to get but if I was in the market I'd want one.
11 month wait for me. On order.

Excellent vehicle for our needs. We tow a trailer with sea/fishing kayaks. No issue with this one.

In addition,we fly fish in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho, but we live in Minnesota. What a great road car, as we rented one the last three years for our western jaunts.

Plenty of room in back for a mattress and sleeping bags.

Not cheap, but that's the way she goes.