Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2022, 01:37 PM

OT: Toyota 4-runner question for the experts

Hey all,

I've always liked the idea of having a body on frame off-roader and I'm tempted by a local '02 for sale with 145k mi on the clock. Fully aware that it isn't a smart investment for a daily driver, MPG is terrible etc, and this would be a fun weekender/camping truck most likely.

Current owner is a multi-car collector so while it hasn't been beaten up, it also isn't a garage queen. A couple of minor hits reported on carfax, basically fender-benders and the title is clean/non-salvage so I'm not really too worried about those incidents.

I've read about the rust propensity so I'll be checking the frame, also the weakness in the radiator/tranny fluid cooling system that can result in mixing of those systems if the radiator is original.

Any other big gremlins to look for?

Asking price is 11k, which in normal times might seem high, but things are so inflated right now. What would constitute a pretty decent deal??

thx

Last edited by sailorboy; 10-02-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:45 PM

When was the timing belt last changed?

Also does the the 4wd engage? Diff lock?

Get under the frame with a hammer and see if there is any weaknesses.

I don’t think the 3rd gen runners have the ball joint issues the tacos do but I’d look into that.

At 145k it’s time for new suspension

10k seems high to me but if some of the above has been taken care of (namely the timing belt) it might be ok.

Also if the timing belt was done. Was the thermostat, and camshaft seals and all the good stuff that’s down there changed at the same time?
Old 10-02-2022, 01:51 PM

4Runners in general are known to be pretty bulletproof. I have an ‘08, so don’t know a ton about the prior generation other than that they are highly sought after. That mileage is pretty low given the year. Seems like I see them listed for sale regularly with 250k miles, out west anyway.

This is a helpful forum that may better answer some of your questions: https://www.toyota-4runner.org
Old 10-02-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
When was the timing belt last changed?

Also does the the 4wd engage? Diff lock?

Get under the frame with a hammer and see if there is any weaknesses.

I don’t think the 3rd gen runners have the ball joint issues the tacos do but I’d look into that.

At 145k it’s time for new suspension

10k seems high to me but if some of the above has been taken care of (namely the timing belt) it might be ok.

Also if the timing belt was done. Was the thermostat, and camshaft seals and all the good stuff that’s down there changed at the same time?
Helpful stuff, I'll look into that. Yes, timing belt was done, but I don't know about anything else. On the phone the seller says about 5K put into it by the current owner in the past couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
4Runners in general are known to be pretty bulletproof. I have an ‘08, so don’t know a ton about the prior generation other than that they are highly sought after. That mileage is pretty low given the year. Seems like I see them listed for sale regularly with 250k miles, out west anyway.

This is a helpful forum that may better answer some of your questions: https://www.toyota-4runner.org
Thx for the link. I was going to deep dive into the forums if it looks like I might go through with this. The ones I've checked already report plenty of folks getting over 200K without too many expensive items. This car has spent most of it's life up here in the northeast so for sure the rust issue would be the most concerning to look for.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:01 PM
n - 1

To add to what’s already been said:

Steering rack may need service at that point. Also check for play when going over a bump at speed. Mine had horrible shudder which was from very worn bushings. My Tacoma of the same vintage had similar issues.

Late 3rd gens didn’t have a rear locker. Only a center lock.

My biggest gripe was the overly sensitive TRAC/VSC system. Even the slightest slip of the wheel, the computer cut the power to the wheels. It’s usually not a big deal but when trying to pull out onto a main road (especially in snow season), it’s unnerving crawling through an intersection with oncoming traffic. There is a mod for that but it’s more of a hack job. I did it but wouldn’t advise it.

Other than that, it’s solid. Just keep up on oil changes and the 5VZ should last a long time.

PS: While I owned 2 of the 3rd gens and absolutely love the classic looks. Check out GX470’s. That’s what I drive now. 2UZ is amazing and it is a solid machine. Better ride comfort and good aftermarket support. Cost would be a little more but not much.

Last edited by p nut; 10-02-2022 at 02:03 PM.