Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 09-08-2022, 02:12 PM

Mt Davis Gravel Grinder (PA)/Quick and the Dead

Just signed up for the 54ish length on September 24.

Anyone participating or done ride before? Interested in gearing and tire choices as lots of climbing and hopefully a 34/34 will be enough and plan on riding either 38 gravel kings or 40 Specialized Pathfinders
Old 09-08-2022, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Gearing is usually a personal choice, but looking at the map and seeing 19% max grade, personally I would want lower than 1:1.

That looks like a beefy ride, report back please!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mt davis.jpg (56.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 09-25-2022, 05:19 PM

Completed and survived. Well run event with diverse roads - chip seal pavement, basic dirt, shale covered gravel and rocky uphill/downhills

3 rest stops and you could send drop ziplock bags to the last two - many people sent bottles and nutrition for quick pick up despite last two stops being fully stocked

My Wahoo showed 6300’ climbing, majority in first 50 miles. Last 10 or so miles was great fun - almost all downhill. I understand this is the first year starting in Meyersdale so course my change

Made all with a 34/34 and riding 38 gravel kings. If I do it again may be a perfect course for a wide 1x and definitely a wider range and wider tires. Looked like most ‘racers’ were on wide 1x with 40+ tires. Saw more than one cut sidewalls.

Well organized ride if you like a widely diverse course with steep climbs. There is a longer 70+ option

Kudos to organization. All road intersections had volunteers controlling traffic and steep descents well marked. Never had to stop