Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2022, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the warning OP. I was browsing the selection there a couple of days ago and probably wouldn't have noticed the return policy without looking for it.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:07 AM

I wish the world would go back to a two week return window and no free shipping. All this excessive sport shopping is creating warehouses of product that nobody really needed in the first place.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:42 AM
Randomhead

It seems like when REI first started selling their returns online we saw warnings that the products were in bad shape and overpriced. The old way of having a blowout in-person sale seems best. Even though they changed their return policy, bad people still return worn out junk.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
To change the subject a bit, I'll throw this out there:

Unless we're talking about something that costs very little or a model I've bought before and I know works for me, when it comes to footwear I support my local bricks and mortar store, try it on there, and buy it from them. When that pair wears out I go ahead and buy it online.
As a former shoe store owner, I approve this message.
Had a guy come in with a Road Runner catalog and wanted to try on some shoes. I asked if he planned to buy at RR and he said yes. I explained that I'm happy to let him try the shoes, but I'm not RR's warehouse, so if he tries them here, he should buy them here. He agreed and did.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
As a former shoe store owner, I approve this message.
Had a guy come in with a Road Runner catalog and wanted to try on some shoes. I asked if he planned to buy at RR and he said yes. I explained that I'm happy to let him try the shoes, but I'm not RR's warehouse, so if he tries them here, he should buy them here. He agreed and did.
This.

I ran for a shoe company, worked in an athletic shoe store, right next to a Footlocker (Kinney's.)

When catalog sales took off, we had visitors (not customers) who came in and tried on a variety of shoes/sizes, then left. For a small business, this was our time that could be spent with actual customers, so we learned to size them up and invent ways to get them out of the store. People tend exhibit the same behavior when working the same agenda, so it wasn't hard to figure out who was in to buy and who was in to try on shoes they'd buy from catalogs.

It was, eventually, the same people. We'd send them to Footlocker, and the manager there knew if we sent them, he'd have the same problem. His set of rules were a bit different, and he often fit them in "End Zone" shoes (soon to be discontinued). He cleared out his old stock, or said "I don't have that in your size."

We had a loyal customer base that we fit properly, advised properly, and gave great customer service, including discounts. Most of our money was made on clothes and accessories, anyway. Shoes have a low markup, especially when you're trying to be competitive. You didn't run a shoe store to get rich, and employees rarely worked there for more than a few years. Tough business.

I ran with groups of runners, and the same ones always complained that "Footlocker and XXX" don't ever have what I want in stock, so I buy from the catalogs." I'd grin..."and they never will."
Old 09-23-2022, 10:06 AM
Administrator

I buy all of my running shoes direct from mfg these days.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:12 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

If I receive an item I always open the box from the other side and don't mess up the label.

Reason being: Shipments can be 'Refused' and get a free round trip back home to the sender.

Sure, I've used this twice in 5 years but at least for USPS, every label bought is a round trip, yet 99.9% of packages only ever go one way.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:20 AM

I agree that its confusing as this rei "resupply" is still hosted on the same REI website. It should be clearly marked the site does not follow the same conveniences as REI.

We have something similar here in Canada called the lasthunt which is the dumping site for overstock/leftovers from altitude sports but the name of the website is completely different. The catch is thelasthunt does not accept returns. Period. Great for deals on helmets and gear, less so on clothes unless you know for sure it's what you want.

As much as I'd love to support brick and mortar stores, pretty much EVERY store I know will only order a 2E or 4E shoe if I special order it, and I can't return it. I get it, way too many sizes and varieties - so I end up ordering direct nowadays as at least I get a variety and can return them. Running shoes are ok as Asics and NB are more or less consistent, but Shimanos, Lakes are impossible to guess the sizing. I haven't gone into a store for shoes in long time with the exception of boots.

Last edited by deechee; 09-23-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:31 AM

Resupply

Sounds like their used or return goods resale. I think if they accept returns that's good. I use Geartrade once in a while which is Backcountry's return goods or sale of used goods. Only certain items returnable. Not everyone is Amazon. I saw the other day Patagonia has a used resale as well. Some items are a gamble, and not worth returning. I also would not expect a store to take back used items. Thread is a good reminder to look at policies.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:11 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikser View Post
Sounds like their used or return goods resale. I think if they accept returns that's good. I use Geartrade once in a while which is Backcountry's return goods or sale of used goods. Only certain items returnable. Not everyone is Amazon. I saw the other day Patagonia has a used resale as well. Some items are a gamble, and not worth returning. I also would not expect a store to take back used items. Thread is a good reminder to look at policies.
Yah sounds like once the items are in the used queue, then they don't mix anymore with the regular items, hence you can't return them at the store. They're probably 2 completely different systems for each. That said, the stuff at their old garage sales (not sure if they still do it) was way better than most of the look of the tired, used stuff they sell.

I personally like the Arc Teryx used and outlet stuff. The stuff looks good, has a warranty, and is often repaired in house -- just scratch my head every once in a while when they have a jacket that is a decade old for 30% off MSRP.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:58 AM

I know i posted my REI used experience here before, but I ordered a saddle from there and it showed up with the rails bent like a boomerang. Not safe at all to ride. I contacted them and they told me that I was still obligated to pay for return shipping...... yeah....
Old 09-23-2022, 12:19 PM
Randomhead

I wish the owner of the local brick and mortar shoe store wasn't one of the main people blocking making that street into a pedestrian plaza. Which is one of the best decisions that State College ever made. But that road is still a high speed car sewer because of him.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
To change the subject a bit, I'll throw this out there:

Unless we're talking about something that costs very little or a model I've bought before and I know works for me, when it comes to footwear I support my local bricks and mortar store, try it on there, and buy it from them....
I always try to support the local B&M stores whenever I can. Unfortunately when it comes to shoes, no local stores carry anything in my size. I go direct or order online from B&M business in another city that caters size 12 and up.

W.