Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 11:23 AM
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
Does anyone know if the retrofit hub kit would work on the 32 Hole Record Non-disc Hub?
Only if you swap out the freehub body from the record hub to the new n3w that will allow the mounting of the ekar 9&10t cogs.

It looks like the way ekar's designed to work only hydrolic brakes wheels.

Last edited by boywander; 11-22-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Thank you - have you heard yet whether or not it's possible to replace the guts of an 12S shifter with EKAR guts? If yes can you use the 12S thumb shifter?
I haven't heard anyone doing it yet. But then again, there are about only 500-600 groups delivered worldwide. So I doubt anyone is going to strip and mod them yet.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:00 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
This is the solution that I'd come up with (and eluded to in earlier posts on this thread), considering internally the disc calipers are the same as Magura MT8 and MT6 models and use the same pads, which is what Rotor uses for their disc calipers. Additionally, one would want to use the Rotor version of the Rim Caliper because it has a brake release mechanism to allow install/removal of the tire vs the Magura RT models which has that mechanism built into the brake lever.

I had considered doing this if I'd ended up with a spare H11 group, which I almost did. The Rotor calipers are harder to find but there's some sets out there.

I am sure it would work, as its a modern pressure style system vs the HS33 stuff which my understanding was used different system pressures vs the current stuff. Would a Cantilever post mounted hydraulic rim brake and modern shifting system be really cool? Yes I think it would.

I had found a gent selling a Hydraulic Rim brake di2 bike a couple years back using the Magura calipers, and he said they were mighty powerful, but that wheel removal was an issue when the tire was inflated.

Personally, I would never use those Rotor Delta calipers. They were horrible. They never retracted fully and there was tons of drag on the arms. Another thing, the EKAR system uses a different fluid than the Rotor, Magura and even the Campy H11/H12 stuff. Those use the blue Royal Blood fluid and EKAR uses a red colored fluid. It is different. So I am not sure of it's compatibility yet.

Last edited by Velocipede; 12-08-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

DT N3W FHB info

Just got an email from the DTSwiss guru in Grand Junction..

EXP N3W FHB-Mid-late December
For Traditional FHB-Mid-late February

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-08-2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:01 AM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Jackpot. I'm so dang impatient though!
Old 12-08-2020, 07:01 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Just got an email from the DTSwiss guru in Grand Junction..

EXP N3W FHB-Mid-late December
I've stopped asking. I figured I'd wait till after the new year and get updates from everyone. But thanks for the update OP. Good to hear DT has things moving.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I've stopped asking. I figured I'd wait till after the new year and get updates from everyone. But thanks for the update OP. Good to hear DT has things moving.
Also nice to see DT isn't abandoning their older, non-EXP rear hubs, like some manufacturers in this daffy industry does...
Old 12-08-2020, 07:24 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Also nice to see DT isn't abandoning their older, non-EXP rear hubs, like some manufacturers in this daffy industry does...
Well Campy could've done that too, avoided another SKU for their older disc wheels. But in the end it makes a ton of sense to just make another freehub body. I'd be pissed if I owned a high end set of wheels or hubs and couldn't replace a simple part with a new one. Glad DT is doing this too. I love building wheels but this makes things so much easier.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:20 AM

DT Swiss available early next year:

https://r2-bike.com/DT-SWISS-Freilau...-mm-Steckachse
Old 12-09-2020, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
DT Swiss available early next year:

https://r2-bike.com/DT-SWISS-Freilau...-mm-Steckachse
My swiss is a little rusty..
Quote:
Freilauftyp: Ratchet System | Zahnscheibenfreilauf (nicht für Ratchet EXP geeignet!)
Is this the EXP one or the older, non -EXP design?
"Nicht fur"..I guess 'not for'??
Old 12-12-2020, 08:07 AM

The EKAR Spare parts are now up on Campy's Website - The EKAR BB bearings are different - but is it just a standard sized Bearing with a different/larger shield that necessitates the different BB bracket? Does anyone think it will be be possible to sub CULT BB bearings in from SR while using the stock EKAR Shields/BB?

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...rt_A_Rev01.pdf

It also looks like if you bend the cage that it is "Service Center Only" - That seems like not a good thing.

Probably due to the Clutch?

Pulley wheels should still be user serviceable though I assume.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
The EKAR Spare parts are now up on Campy's Website - The EKAR BB bearings are different - but is it just a standard sized Bearing with a different/larger shield that necessitates the different BB bracket? Does anyone think it will be be possible to sub CULT BB bearings in from SR while using the stock EKAR Shields/BB?

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...rt_A_Rev01.pdf

It also looks like if you bend the cage that it is "Service Center Only" - That seems like not a good thing.

Probably due to the Clutch?

Pulley wheels should still be user serviceable though I assume.
I'll bet that the BB bearings are standards 6805N bearings with different seals altho Velocipede will probably know BUT not sure why I'd sub CULT bearings for the standard ones for a 'dirt bike'.
Maybe you could use EKAR cups with road BBs, donno..
Old 12-12-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I'll bet that the BB bearings are standards 6805N bearings with different seals altho Velocipede will probably know BUT not sure why I'd sub CULT bearings for the standard ones for a 'dirt bike'.
Maybe you could use EKAR cups with road BBs, donno..
I'll be using it more for the simpler 1x13 "Endurance Bike" concept (with the odd Rail trail thrown in) using the 9-36 Cassette and Probably the Shamal Wheels with Upgraded bearings as well - just have to figure out how to upgrade the pulleys.

If anyone is thinking of trying to replace the EKAR thumb button and removing the bar to allow more than 1 upshift at a time it looks like it's possible. I think they may have limited it to just one shift at a time as the big EKAR lever was hitting the Shifter body.

This is one Mod I may try - anyone have any idea how easy it is to gut the lever and get it back together again?

Last edited by morrisond; 12-12-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I'll be using it more for the simpler 1x13 "Endurance Bike" concept (with the odd Rail trail thrown in) using the 9-36 Cassette and Probably the Shamal Wheels with Upgraded bearings as well - just have to figure out how to upgrade the pulleys.

I found the Parts list with pricing as well. https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...0CON%20IVA.pdf

If anyone is thinking of trying to replace the EKAR thumb button and removing the bar to allow more than 1 upshift at a time it looks like it's about 134 Euro for a Record/Chorus Shifter body if that is even possible. I think they may have limited it to just one shift at a time as the big EKAR lever was hitting the Shifter body.

This is one Mod I may try - anyone have any idea how easy it is to gut the lever and get it back together again?
Gad ZOOKS..I have SR/Record/Chorus shifter bodies for WAY less than that.

None are really 'hard' to take apart but can be 'difficult' to get back together.
Mostly the spring in the front that centers the shift lever blade..that can be 'vexing'...

I'd have to take apart an EKAR lever to see if all the above is possible. Send me one and I'll see.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Gad ZOOKS..I have SR/Record/Chorus shifter bodies for WAY less than that.

None are really 'hard' to take apart but can be 'difficult' to get back together.
Mostly the spring in the front that centers the shift lever blade..that can be 'vexing'...

I'd have to take apart an EKAR lever to see if all the above is possible. Send me one and I'll see.
I have kits arriving on Monday. But they are all spoken for so no go on stripping one right now. When mine arrives I'll do it.