Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 05:21 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
Is this authentic scarcity, or is Campagnolo throttling supply to stimulate frenzied demand?
It's both. Campy didn't really throttle production. With COVID and then the August Holiday, they just got hit is all. It really is just demand for the group.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:25 PM

Sounds like it’s still easier to get than a 124060.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:38 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Sounds like it’s still easier to get than a 124060.
not sure on that one. I just found a bunch online with a quick google search. It's a heck of a lot more money for sure!
Old 09-30-2020, 05:43 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/di...ext=95421-0149

Specialized's seal of approval.

I notice that Tom Pidcock is a Specialized rider, but has signed for Ineos for 2021 and Ineos ride Pinarellos. How will that work?
High Praise indeed (from Specialized):

Campagnolo's Ekar gravel groupset brings the first 1x13 setup to the gravel. With it's 9-42 cassette, paired with a 38t chainring, you get a huge range with fewer gaps between gears, helping you find the perfect cadence, no matter the terrain. Not only is it one of the lightest 1x groupsets out there, but it has been specifically designed with gravel riding in mind. The hoods and levers were designed for ultimate control, the brakes were purpose-built with more power in mind, and even the drivetrain was built with enhanced durability in-mind. It's the perfect complement for the ultimate getaway vehicle.

I think that it would a riot if Campy hits it big with this group by claiming a top spot in a growing niche. It would be a small redemption for their MTB groups from the 90's.

Last edited by Black Dog; 09-30-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:45 PM

38 is the smallest chain ring because it's mounted in the big ring position. From the pictures, the chain almost touches the ends of the arms, with a 38.

The little ring bolts to the chorus big ring, so it has no threaded holes in the crank arms.

Other cranks will be needed for really small chain rings.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
not sure on that one. I just found a bunch online with a quick google search. It's a heck of a lot more money for sure!
I probably should have clarified at retail prices.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:14 AM

Will there be an electronic version of Ekar?
Old 10-01-2020, 05:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Wilier, Specialized, 3T, Bixxis, Grandis, Pinarello, Cervelo, Ridley have stock offerings. I've seen/heard more than that will including Trek, Giant and Cannondale are working on offerings.

Bixxis did a launch in Italy with Campy in house for EKAR. Looked like a lot of fun.

Yes, I've ordered the group. Ordered/have more than 1. The only places to order it was thru Campy directly. No one distributor wise had it. QBP has 10 kits on order but they just put their order in like Friday. The original Campy importer has 10 kits on the way. Should be about a week. They asked for 50 and were told only 10. Online retailers like CRC and others, they have a 30 day hold on selling it.
I would guess the groups, which are largely hand assembled..unlike the 's' brand with YUGE machines pumping this stuff out, will go to OE first...
Old 10-01-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Man, I'd ride that Diverge in a second.

Yeah, looks great. But....I just looked at it on the Specy site. The Ekar version is $7000. The GRX version is model is $4800. Granted, the wheels different, but this doesn't look like a "Campagnolo for the masses" market share grower.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Yeah, looks great. But....I just looked at it on the Specy site. The Ekar version is $7000. The GRX version is model is $4800. Granted, the wheels different, but this doesn't look like a "Campagnolo for the masses" market share grower.
I'd consider this one. I like orange, and the even lower price, but orange isn't an available option here in the UK. The paint at the top of the fork already looks chipped. Clunky robots!.

I think it's the same frame and fork, FACT 9r;

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...ext=96220-5149

Every option seems to be out of stock.

Last edited by jpw; 10-01-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:10 AM

I got my hands on a Spec Diverge (a Carbon Comp with GRX 2x,) in late May. With 1,500 miles on the bike I'm really impressed with how it rides. While 2x makes more sense for how I ride, I bet the Ekar build would be really nice.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:14 AM
Administrator

I'm just hoping the soft goods will be a real addition to the available line-up, not just some limited promotional stuff. hoping too that they expand the line-up wit some more kit and accessories. those bottle cages look pretty nice for the right gravel bike and who doesn't love campy branded kit?
Old 10-01-2020, 10:25 AM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I'm just hoping the soft goods will be a real addition to the available line-up, not just some limited promotional stuff. hoping too that they expand the line-up wit some more kit and accessories. those bottle cages look pretty nice for the right gravel bike and who doesn't love campy branded kit?
I was just on the Campy website this am. Looks like some of that soft goods are available for order now. Says "available immediately". Shipping may take 3 months....
Old 10-01-2020, 11:00 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
That is the Elite Cannibal XC cage.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:00 AM

You sure get an upright riding position with the diverge. I'd ride a 52 and the stack is 50mm taller than my road bike.