Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 05-20-2019, 06:46 AM
ZhugeLiang

alright alright...I give y'all a day or two to recover and then please post some pictures or video!

Old 05-20-2019, 06:49 AM

Great seeing everyone again. Tough ride. Next time I will be on a bike with disc brakes strictly for the mud clearance.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Yea, about that mud clearance.

There were definite technical difficulties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mud.JPG (78.1 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by AngryScientist; 05-20-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Agree, it wasn’t just the mileage I’m feeling now. It’s also feeling like someone beat the crap out of me. Quite the blows from the roots, rocks, and potholes at speed.

Had a great day riding with forum pals Dan and Roxanne which made the ride for me.

It was the mud, roots, and rocks that did me in as well. I managed to tweak my back on one particularly gruesome rock garden I decided to ride. While I was successful there, it lead to an inability to put enough pressure on the pedals to climb much above 5%. I walked up anything steep and made it to the ice cream stop at mile 40 and there caught a sag shuttle back.

I'm particularly greived by that (no shame, just frustrated) as I've more time and miles in my legs in the last 12 month's than nearly any other time in my life. Now, yesterday and two weeks ago at the Lu Lacka Wyco are the only two times I've ever needed to exercise that option...

Now I've got unfinished business for next year. Now if I can get my work colleagues to ignore my limping and the moaning whenever I move the wrong way!

But man was it a beautiful day out there!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Farmer's Daughter was mile for mile the most physically punishing gravel ride I've done. They packed a ton into 100k, but I made it around with some high highs and low lows.

likes: long moderate grade climbs, overall vibe, post-ride taco bar, weather, toothbrush for clearing mud build up.

dislikes: pre-ride talk that went on forever and no one could hear, giant mob roll-out, un-rideable peanut butter mud mtb trail, very coarse gravel descending in the last third

My philosophy on gravel events is to show up and experience the route as it is put together and have an adventure. While I enjoy almost any day out, there were a few things that got under my skin. ...some a product of circumstance like a very wet spring and road grading schedules, but there were other things that could have been arranged better. It makes no sense to roll out as several hundred when a single-file trail is 1 mile down the road. Also, it pains me to see good woodland trails absolutely destroyed by a muddy stampede - those trails will not recover for some time. And hike a bike makes me sad.

A hardtail mtb or Lauf/Slate-type gravel bike would have been the smart choice given the bias towards rugged and raw.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 05-20-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:59 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Farmer's Daughter was mile for mile the most physically punishing gravel ride I've done. They packed a ton into 100k, but I made it around with some high highs and low lows.

likes: long moderate grade climbs, overall vibe, post-ride taco bar, weather, toothbrush for clearing mud build up.

dislikes: pre-ride talk that went on forever and no one could hear, giant mob roll-out, un-rideable peanut butter mud mtb trail, very course gravel descending in the last third

My philosophy on gravel events is to show up and experience the route as it is put together and have an adventure. While I enjoy almost any day out, there were a few things that got under my skin. ...some a product of circumstance like a very wet spring and road grading schedules, but there were other things that could have been arranged better. It makes no sense to roll out as several hundred when a single-file trail is 1 mile down the road. Also, it pains me to see good woodland trails absolutely destroyed by a muddy stampede - those trails will not recover for some time. And hike a bike makes me sad.

A hardtail mtb or Lauf/Slate-type gravel bike would have been the smart choice given the bias towards rugged and raw.
100% with Sparky. Those trails looked destroyed. I also dislike hike a bike specially trough all that mud. I think some enjoy it and the difficulty of ridding through that but it just frustrated me and took it out of me. And even more annoying dudes that want to ride it and get pissy cuz some are walking, those dudes suck.

I still had a lot of fun, rode with hilltopperny and angry for a bit. I bailed at mile 38 or 39 and had a flat ride back to the start so 43 miles in and its all I needed. I definitely hate not finishing rides but was a-ok. Was super hot and I was not ready for that.

I might be back next year but of all the rides this is definitely my least favorite. I think next year I will just skip all the muddy sections unless they are in rideable conditions because some of the roads were fantastic and so were the trails.

Now its time to get ready for d2r2
Old 05-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Epic day may be a bit understated to describe this ride!! I agree that early on that to conga line the riders thru the mud wasn't the best laid plan. After that I got into a good pace until the 26 mile mark into the trail again. Although not terrible you still got that tar and feathered feel. Great spot for an aid station, very well stocked and a great group of volunteers!! I agree with a fellow pace liner,( I believe it was djg21) that between mile 30-45 was the hardest stretch with all the rollers you had to contend with. Ice cream at the top of mile 39 was awesome. Rest stop @47 mile was well timed as I was getting a bit gassed. A bit of a doozy was how the climb was described into the last section of woods, never one to get off the bike I just made it to the top!! Really after that as they say it was all down hill from here especially with no more muddy section to ride thru. With food and beer at the end and a live band playing what more can you ask for. I will definitely be back next year.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:16 PM

I agree with the prior posts -- mile for mile, this ride was just so so hard.

The ride was good once you got past the start -- the mud + bottlenecks was just kind of a downer. I wish I had waited 15 minutes before starting my ride. Also, more singletrack that I expected.

I definitely figured out that mud clearance is not a strength of my 650b Trek 310 conversion. I am also grateful for having a good helmet because I took a nasty spill around mile 52 whose effects included a general daze, more road rash than I thought possible, twisted bars and brake handles, and a slightly bent handlebar.

All that said, when you could ride it was hard and fun and I met and rode with a bunch of super-nice people. The ice cream rest stop was also an unexpected treat.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:09 PM

I have done this ride 3 times, each time doing fewer trail sections. This year we skipped them all and did 60+ miles of the planned route. We also rolled out around 8:30 and avoided the mob scene start. These choices made it by far the most enjoyable Farmers Daughter ride so far for me, but make no mistake that was a hard, hard, 5 hours of riding.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarg View Post
I have done this ride 3 times, each time doing fewer trail sections. This year we skipped them all and did 60+ miles of the planned route. We also rolled out around 8:30 and avoided the mob scene start. These choices made it by far the most enjoyable Farmers Daughter ride so far for me, but make no mistake that was a hard, hard, 5 hours of riding.
that was a strictly brilliant strategy.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:14 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarg View Post
I saw a few people going straight instead of into the mud pits and I did not understand it until I was deep in ahha. This is a great strategy and maybe would have kept me on the ride for at least a few more miles... the heat still killed me. If I return next year, I will follow this. Actually the organizers should just do this, 2 routes, the muddy route and the dry gravel route. I mean, the single track sections would be great if no one in there/dry so if next year its dry then bring em on. Also they should just put people on the road for a few miles, let em disperse then throw em in the trail.... pretty much, just skip the first section.

But I know some people love the muddy stuff so maybe 2 routes
Old 05-20-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I saw a few people going straight instead of into the mud pits and I did not understand it until I was deep in ahha. This is a great strategy and maybe would have kept me on the ride for at least a few more miles... the heat still killed me. If I return next year, I will follow this. Actually the organizers should just do this, 2 routes, the muddy route and the dry gravel route. I mean, the single track sections would be great if no one in there/dry so if next year its dry then bring em on. Also they should just put people on the road for a few miles, let em disperse then throw em in the trail.... pretty much, just skip the first section.

But I know some people love the muddy stuff so maybe 2 routes
The last time I did it it (2016) it was cold and the singletrack was firm and fast. It was much more fun.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
The last time I did it it (2016) it was cold and the singletrack was firm and fast. It was much more fun.
Yeah that sounds awesome. The second single track was super awesome until it got muddy again so i can imagine it being pretty awesome if in the right conditions. Still a good ride, beautiful area and again I would do it again.

However I did this ride a few weeks ago and it was a pretty amazing ride

https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_r...ed-dirt-gravel

A bunch of gravel, Mt Riga climb is amazing... For the ones that want to go up there and do a great ride.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
However I did this ride a few weeks ago and it was a pretty amazing ride

https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_r...ed-dirt-gravel

A bunch of gravel, Mt Riga climb is amazing... For the ones that want to go up there and do a great ride.
I know a lot of this ride, including Mt Riga. It's a fine one!
Old 05-22-2019, 03:02 PM

So that was hard. I maintained fairly well until the sun and heat came out, and then I was cooked in no time. Action shot I regret not getting was when I stopped to remove softball-sized clumps of muck from my BB and cantis (yeah, I was one of those guys) and discovered a good-sized earthworm lounging around down by the BB. I prefer to think of it as a particularly aggressive critter as opposed to the speed at which I was moving. Trying to decide if I have unfinished business with the Daughter or if I'll just move along and leave the nightcrawlers to someone else.

Plenty of highlights, though, too, including the pair of deer that zipped past us early on in the woods, and all those lovely dirt rollers.