Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 07-25-2022, 11:43 PM

Need 1 rider for Rapha Prestige team

Hey all,

If you are able to ride 80-100 miles with at least 6k climbing and plenty of gravel, let me know.

I registered for the Rapha Prestige event on 3 September, that is starting at Shawnee-ON-Delaware (75 miles from NYC), but the folks who normally do these with me aren't able to do it. I've got two locals from my bike shop but need one more committed rider.

https://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/stories/prestige

Send me a pm if you are interested. I need to get the personal info in to Rapha in the next couple of weeks.

Sean

Last edited by sailorboy; 07-26-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:37 PM

What's a Rapha Prestige Team?
Old 07-26-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
What's a Rapha Prestige Team?
you're in colorado? Probably a non-starter unless you're in this area at that time. Is this a serious inquiry or you're just curious?
Old 07-27-2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
you're in colorado? Probably a non-starter unless you're in this area at that time. Is this a serious inquiry or you're just curious?
Just curious.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:12 PM

If you read the description on their website it talks about the event and what makes up a team.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:38 PM
#RYFB

I don't know the details of this particular Prestige, and apologies if you do, but based on my own experience, your characterization may understate the level of challenge. The Santa Barbara course was just over 90 miles with 13k of climbing, and the gravel (maybe 40% of the course) was a mix of everything from fire road to big chunky gravel to sand to single track. While the event is billed as self-supported, there was a single aid station with hydration and nutrition — at a location that was a time cut-off, those teams arriving after had to eliminate a portion of the course in order to get back safely. Just thought it best to give an accurate portrayal of the challenge.

These are really well-run events, great camaraderie among participants and support staff, delicious food, and a real sense of achievement if you're able to finish the full course. Best of luck.

P.S. If you're an RCC member, you might have good luck posting in the NYC chapter subforum of the RCC Forum. Happy to assist with that if you're not, just DM me.
Old 07-28-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I don't know the details of this particular Prestige, and apologies if you do, but based on my own experience, your characterization may understate the level of challenge. The Santa Barbara course was just over 90 miles with 13k of climbing, and the gravel (maybe 40% of the course) was a mix of everything from fire road to big chunky gravel to sand to single track. While the event is billed as self-supported, there was a single aid station with hydration and nutrition — at a location that was a time cut-off, those teams arriving after had to eliminate a portion of the course in order to get back safely. Just thought it best to give an accurate portrayal of the challenge.

These are really well-run events, great camaraderie among participants and support staff, delicious food, and a real sense of achievement if you're able to finish the full course. Best of luck.

P.S. If you're an RCC member, you might have good luck posting in the NYC chapter subforum of the RCC Forum. Happy to assist with that if you're not, just DM me.
Maybe the west coast RCC folks are more sadistic than out this way? I've done two 'gentlemen's races' and two prestige and none of them were that extreme. I don't think our geography will allow for that much climbing in one day. Now that I've said that, they'll probably hand me my ass this time.

Nothing could top the Lost River version of gents race several years ago. It was in the 90's most of the day with 80% humidity and one food/water stop along the route the whole day. More than half the teams DNF'd and we were knocking on doors in the WV backcountry begging for water toward the end. If the heat didn't kill us we were lucky the locals didn't either.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:52 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Maybe the west coast RCC folks are more sadistic than out this way? I've done two 'gentlemen's races' and two prestige and none of them were that extreme. I don't think our geography will allow for that much climbing in one day. Now that I've said that, they'll probably hand me my ass this time.

Nothing could top the Lost River version of gents race several years ago. It was in the 90's most of the day with 80% humidity and one food/water stop along the route the whole day. More than half the teams DNF'd and we were knocking on doors in the WV backcountry begging for water toward the end. If the heat didn't kill us we were lucky the locals didn't either.
More likely than sadism is just that there is terrain here that allows them to create more challenging routes. I'm doing Prestige Santa Cruz in November and expect it will be similar to Santa Barbara, though maybe less intense gravel.

I believe that only 11 of the ~36 full teams finished SB. We were fit enough to have done it but one team member was quite inexperienced offroad so we lost a lot of time to his cautious descending. Even so, our route was 70 miles and more than 10k' of elevation, still a good day.

Best of luck on yours!