Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2018, 09:09 AM

considering flat bar conversion

My old hands ache from arthritis right where my thumbs meet near my palms. I do believe this is a really common problem for we middle agers. I would guess this results from years of cycling and gripping drop bars on the tops near the shifters in the same position over 1000s of miles. The grip in the drops actually results in less pain but I can't ride down there all the time.

My 3 bikes are dialed in the same and I love how things work except my thumbs tend to bother me on and off the bike to some degree. I have extra padding under the bar tape and my bars are pretty high, so not from too much weight on my hands. Just gripping the same way forever.

So I am considering a new experiment and converting a bike to flat bars. But I would like to still be able to go fast, stand up when I climb, and cruise well on flats. My hope is a different cockpit setup will alter my grip and maybe delay or alleviate more pain.

I tried Riv moustache bars once a long time ago and that experiment lasted about 2 days. Wondering more about straight bars with some sort bar ends:

https://www.rei.com/product/884447/e...kaAsv7EALw_wcB

Have you experimented and what approach worked for you?
Old 12-31-2018, 09:34 AM

If you are looking for different hand positions, the jones bars provide a lot of different options. When I am cruising, I have my hands on the regular part of the bars that sweep back, and then when I want to get semi aero, I rest my hands on the front part of my bars. I actually bought some Paul online brake levers and some 25.4 to 26.0 shims from Ti Cycles to put a brake lever on the front part of the bars, but been too lazy. Lots of hand positions with the Jones, and I would cut them down on the sides. 660 is wide 700 is crazy wide, especially if you are used to road bars. Black sheep does some awesome custom bars so you have different hand positions too. Another option could be one of those new flexstem things - I think the company name has Red in the title - but not available for shorter stem sizes.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:13 AM

If your pain involves activities other than cycling you probably will need to think about the surgery. I had it on both hands during the winter and was able to grip the bars without pain 3-4 mos later. If it’s specific to riding a different bar set up is certainly a less dramatic/traumatic choice.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:43 AM

which surgery, what did they do?

mine not that bad yet as I can still grip well enough to open most jars, but it is getting worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
If your pain involves activities other than cycling you probably will need to think about the surgery. I had it on both hands during the winter and was able to grip the bars without pain 3-4 mos later. If it’s specific to riding a different bar set up is certainly a less dramatic/traumatic choice.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:57 AM

The arthritic bone at the base of the thumb is removed. A tendon from the forearm is moved down to use as a cushion in place of that bone. Casted or splinted for several weeks and then hand therapy reestablishes normal motion. There's some grip strength loss for some but I really haven't noticed it. I can handle all the heavy stuff I did before: carpentry, splitting wood, digging, using chainsaw, etc. Before surgery it was painful to pull on a pair of gloves and button shirts. You do have to be creative with certain things while recovering, like tying shoes.

Before the surgery, you generally have 1 or 2 steroid injections which help for awhile and then they don't.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:04 AM

I use the Ergon grips on my MTB and they make a world of difference on a 3 hour ride. I ride Nitto North Road (I think Riv calls them Albatross) on my Big Dummy and can get some tuck by holding the front curves. And I've always like Scott AT bars (hint, I have an AT3 for sale in the Classified) for varied hand positions around the curves and forward and back. I have an AT2 on the tandem I bought from Steveandbarb.